• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Benelli M1 loading?

boardride

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2005
Federal Way, Washington
I'm a big Remington shotgun guy, but I've always wanted a Benelli M1 Super 90 so I had the chance to pick one up. My question is that It thought you can some how load the chamber, put one on top of the carrier and have a full magazine, but how the hell do you do it? I played with it and it doesn't make sense to me.

Re: Benelli M1 loading?

I don't think you can "ghost load" the M1's at least my M1 won't allow it, I've done it on several M4's before.

I would guess there is a way to mod it to allow it, but I've never been that desperate for that one extra round.

I have an older M1 and you can load one on the carrier. However, it has been a while since I've done it.

yeah i dont get it...

if you load the tube with 6, then put one in the chamber, then hit that button that pops one onto the carries you still cant put another one in the magazine.
and you cant drop one into the chamber and the carrier and the same time....

I've got an older model SBE that you can float the fourth in. I understand that Benelli fixed it on the newer ones so that you can no longer float the fourth shell because of the stir it caused. There were legal questions involved with it since in most cases you cannot hunt with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells at a time. If I'm going to be hunting and limited to 3 shells in the gun, I want one in the chamber and the other two in the magazine, not one in the chamber one in the magazine and the other on the ramp.

The silver button (with like a red tick on it) is the bolt hold open and carrier feed.

To "load one on the carrier", put the shotgun on SAFE, fill the mag tube, load one in the chamber. Hit said silver/red button to advance one on the carrier and then top off. You might need to modify your carrier to do the "ghost loading", but it should work right away.

I'm looking for the picture on how to modify the carrier, Hoser might chim in he's the man on M1's

Couple good threads on this at Brian Enos forum.

Somewhere in the M1's lifespan benelli changed the bolt so it will not allow ghost loading without modification.

I don't understand the red button use either. If you load a round in the chamber, and use the red button to put a round from the mag into the carrier, there is NO way to replace the round in the mag that is now in the carrier, unless you are going to remove the mag extension and try stuffing one in that way. So while it does get a round in the chamber and one on the carrier, you cannot gain 1 round of capacity because there is no way to replace the lost round in the mag.

Essentially if you cannot pull the bolt 3/4 of the way back and slip a shell onto the carrier, hold it down on the carrier and let the bolt go forward your M1 is not set up to ghost load.

Option is to either fill weld a notch on the bolt, or grind it to 45 degrees.

My old HK M1S90 will hold an extra - fill tube mag, pull charging/bolt handle almost all the way back, put one underneath the bolt (on the carrier), drop one in the chamber and let bolt forward. Takes some practice, you don't want the carrier to come up when bolt is moving forward and if you pull the handle all the way back, the carrier will lift to try to feed that round.

What gets me is, how does it know NOT to let one out of the mag when there's already one on the carrier?...

As far as the laws go, I thought it was "magazine capable of holding more than two rounds", which is not violated because there are still only two rounds in the magazine tube?...

Gotta love 'em!

Cheers,

Bill

+1 on the older models accepting the Ghost Load. The older bolts had a notch that's not present in newer models. Google "Benelli bolt mod" or something similar. There used to be a couple sites that had directions and a couple smiths that offered the service as one of their normal jobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What gets me is, how does it know NOT to let one out of the mag when there's already one on the carrier?...

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

It's kinda like how a Thermos knows whether or not to keep stuff cold or hot
wink.gif

depends on how the law is written, in some states its written as "capable of holding more than 3 shells in total capacity"

Here is a link to a post with pics on it that show the bolt mod needed. If your bolt does not have 2 notches on it as shown in the pics it should ghost load fine without modification. You do have to have an account to see the pics, but it's the only ones I could find.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17700&hl=ghost&st=25

As to how the gun knows it has a round in the carrier, I know I heard an explanation on this for another shotgun and I believe it was that the shell in the carrier keeps the mag release bar(s) from flexing/moving enough to let a new shell in.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but what is the reason for wanting to do it?
From what I understand the only reason used to be some match rules limited mag tube length but not number of rounds. I am not aware of any match rules like that any more(in the US), now they limit the number of rounds which makes it easier to add more mag tube and not fool with the mod.

Scott I think the problem was with hunters, getting that 4th round in was a problem with Game Wardens, Benelli modified the carrier so it wouldn't happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott I think the problem was with hunters, getting that 4th round in was a problem with Game Wardens, Benelli modified the carrier so it wouldn't happen. </div></div>

Yes, I get that part. I understood the OP's question to be how he could get his to "ghost load", and I was asking why anyone would want to, when it is so easy to just add a longer mag extension.

In some cases you are limited to barrel length.

For example, if you run a 18" barrel most people are not going to put an extension longer than the barrel on it. This way you can stay with a short barrel but still get an additional round in it. In some cases such as the M4 there is no good option to run a longer barrel/or extension longer than the barrel, so again you get one extra round in a shorter package.

If you are running a long barrel with a 10-11 shot extender for comps then no there is no reason.

Here is a pic of what needs to be changed on the newer Benellis.

Basically make the rear notch look just like the forward notch, only 180' out. Or weld it shut. I just dremeled mine and polished the bottom of the carrier.

Ghost_Load_mod.sized.jpg

Floating a round... Its harder to explain that it is to do. Load the mag tube all the way. Put a round in the chamber. Retract the bolt 2/3 - 3/4 of the way. Take the ass end of the shell and stick it under the bolt carrier and let the bolt close. Once you get the hang of it, its easy. But dont retract the bolt all the way.

The red tab button tab thingie is for changing out rounds. Benellis wont unload the mag tube if a round is not fired. So if you want the rounds out of the mag, you have to hit the tab.