• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

benelli m4

micmo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
what do you guys think of this shotgun. are they dependable. i also have my eye on the fn spl.

Re: benelli m4

I have one and an old-school HK imported M1.

The M4 is noticeably heavier than any other shotgun I have owned or shot be it an 870, 500, 1200, or the M1. Fully loaded, the M1 is one of the lighter shotguns despite being able to hold the most shells

The M4 is supposed to be able to cycle better due to the piston assisted bolt. It will not cycle the Winchester Ranger slugs that my M1 will eat up in all but the coldest conditions.

I'm not wild about the M4's ghost ring sights. Since it won't shoot the slugs I have in abundance, they are unnecessary. Most of my training has been on shotguns w/ rifle type sights....so that is what I prefer. That said you can mount an optic. I tried a friends EOTech just for shits and grins. I could not find a comfortable cheek weld to appreciate the advantage of an optic and it added even more weight to this hog.

The handguard assembly of the M4 can not accept a surefire foreend like that of the M1 or M3. You must get a rail (which feels like a cheese grater in your hand) if you wish to mount a light. This is a huge negative for my book.

Couple all this with the added cost, cost of accessories, and the import law that complicates the addition of such accessories. It is not worth the money IMHO.

The only way it trumps my M1 are:
- the weight difference does make a difference in felt recoil. However, I don't feel it is worth the cost of carrying the extra weight

- I like the chrome bolt head. I have often considered getting my M1 internals NP3'd. This is just a personal preference

- Although this is offered in current M1/M2 models. I like the option of using different choke tubes. While I feel a fixed IC choke is ideal for a combat gun for use of slugs and various shot, a modified or better with a heavy intermediate sized shot (BB, #4, etc) is my preferred choice for a utility type shotgun.

If you want one "cheap", mine should be up on the boards before Christmas.

I had one an it was a great shotgun. cycled low power shots due to gas system.

The comment on the rail and light is about right but not that big of a deal unless you got woman hands. Out of habit I also always wear gloves when I handle long guns.

What i dont like about it though is if you have the collapsible stock (i did) and you set it in notch in you cant get a good sight picture due to the location/hight of the stock. I liked running mine a bit shorter and ran into that problem. IMO you should eb able to run the stock all the way in and not affect sight picture or position. Not the case with this gun.

I have run an M4 in 3-gun for the past 3 years. It works fine with all bird-shot except Winchester white box. Never had any problems with slugs. Recoil is not bad. It is pricey and heavy, not the greatest 3-gun shotgun, but I am happy with it. Based on my experience I would say it is dependable, but I would sure try out any ammo I bought for it just to be positive it will run. Of course I would say that for any shotgun and ammo combination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What i dont like about it though is if you have the collapsible stock (i did) and you set it in notch in you cant get a good sight picture due to the location/hight of the stock. I liked running mine a bit shorter and ran into that problem. IMO you should eb able to run the stock all the way in and not affect sight picture or position. Not the case with this gun. </div></div>I found the same problem when I handled one. Due to the way the stock tube angles, the cheek weld gets higher as you collapse the stock. All the way out was actually the only usable position for me, but a bit long. The middle position had a good, usable LOP, but the cheek weld was too high for the stock ghost rings and I consider myself to have a pretty slim face. Maybe with an optic and a riser it may work. All the way collapsed is basically useless and only good for storage or transport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What i dont like about it though is if you have the collapsible stock (i did) and you set it in notch in you cant get a good sight picture due to the location/hight of the stock. I liked running mine a bit shorter and ran into that problem. IMO you should eb able to run the stock all the way in and not affect sight picture or position. Not the case with this gun. </div></div>I found the same problem when I handled one. Due to the way the stock tube angles, the cheek weld gets higher as you collapse the stock. All the way out was actually the only usable position for me, but a bit long. The middle position had a good, usable LOP, but the cheek weld was too high for the stock ghost rings and I consider myself to have a pretty slim face. Maybe with an optic and a riser it may work. All the way collapsed is basically useless and only good for storage or transport. </div></div>

I feel the exact same way. Which is a shame. THe second position in was perfect length for me but without an optic not really usable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one an it was a great shotgun. cycled low power shots due to gas system.

The comment on the rail and light is about right but not that big of a deal unless you got woman hands. <span style="color: #3366FF">OUCH!!</span> Out of habit I also always wear gloves when I handle long guns.

What i dont like about it though is if you have the collapsible stock (i did) and you set it in notch in you cant get a good sight picture due to the location/hight of the stock. I liked running mine a bit shorter and ran into that problem. IMO you should eb able to run the stock all the way in and not affect sight picture or position. Not the case with this gun. </div></div>

The surefire forend comes with rubber ladders that you can insert on the unused sections of rail. It protects my woman hands.

I don't have the collapsible stock I have a fixed and the cheek weld is perfect for the ghost rings. It will put Federal Truball slugs in a 5" bull at 100 yards all day once you learn how to sight it.

It has cycled EVERYTHING I have put through it. At least a dozen brands and as many loads, cheap and expensive, reduced and magnum.

IMO, its the best shotgun out there. Combat proven, LEO's are using it, and there are lots of options to customize it.
Check out this link for all your M4 questions.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys think of this shotgun. are they dependable. i also have my eye on the fn spl. </div></div>

mesa tactical makes a barrel clamp for it that you can mount a flashlight to on one side and a qd sling mount to the other. I have one on mine and couldnt be happier with it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys think of this shotgun. are they dependable. i also have my eye on the fn spl. </div></div>

M4 is One of the best. Also another semi auto to Check out is the Saiga 12, a Shotgun built on an AK platform (Kalashnikov pattern) manufactured by Izhmash in Russia , Its also very reliable, and a little more affordable. Its clip fed though, comes with a 5 rnd mag. You can get 2,5,8,10, & 12 round clips, or 20 &30 round drums. The basic is about 599.99

Seriously, your going to bring up the Saiga 12 in the same conversation as the benelli M4??

The Marines didn't pick it as one of our shotguns (M590 also) because it is a piece of crap.

+1 on not being reliable. My brother has a Saiga, and hates it. The magazines "wobble" when they are inserted, and it doesnt feed all the time. Yea, its built on the AK platform, but the AK platform is not made for 12GA purposes. You can get a new Benelli M4 after rebate for about $1300-$1400. Used, they are going for about $1200ish..
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KingKong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saiga 12 is not realy realiable. Far from it. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KingKong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saiga 12 is not realy realiable. Far from it. </div></div>

This has not been my experience. I passed on the M4 and went the S12 route. I have the basic model (which you can find for about $480 - $500 shipped). I figured if I got it and it sucked I could sell it and buy the M4. If I liked it I could take it further down the tactical road. To date, I have not had one failure of any kind(from birdshot to slugs). Some of the magazines out there can be problematic but if you get SGM mags you won't have trouble. I have also heard that the quality control is spotty (bad ones being referred to as "Vodka Specials"). Perhaps this is where the poor experiences are coming from??? Or maybe I just got an exceptional one...

The other thing I like about them is that there are tons of aftermarket add-ons. You can upgrade in stages. You can spend anywhere from the basic to over a couple grand. I am getting ready to ship mine out to be converted but you can do that yourself as well. I think the S12 is the perfect application for the AK design (but I am generally not fond of AK rifles).

I'd like to hear from other S12 owners on this but I am very fond of mine.

I have a couple M1s and now a M4. The CS stock in the middle position works well for me with a optic. So far has chewed up everything I have thrown at it. Like others said - it's pricey and heavy, but I like it.

M416.JPG

Most Siaga 12's are reliable, The issue is, the vodka special has less than 3 gas ports. The US market wasn't flooded to bad with these from what i have heard, but some did end up with them. It's a good thing to check for before buying one. Also the good mags such as the factory, agp, or promags are not lose and flimsily . Mine spits out old crap I wouldn't want to put in a nice benneli, and never jammed so far. I was not saying that that saiga is better than the benneli, because I would rather have the m-4 than my saiga, just saying its another option to look at.

dont have an M4 but I do have an M1 super 90 and the FN SLP. Both are great shotguns and have performed very well. havent put a ton of rounds through the FN but I do Like it so far. Cant go wrong with either one in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple M1s and now a M4. The CS stock in the middle position works well for me with a optic. So far has chewed up everything I have thrown at it. Like others said - it's pricey and heavy, but I like it.

M416.JPG
</div></div>

keith, what rail do you have on the M4?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spiralseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple M1s and now a M4. The CS stock in the middle position works well for me with a optic. So far has chewed up everything I have thrown at it. Like others said - it's pricey and heavy, but I like it.

M416.JPG
</div></div>

keith, what rail do you have on the M4? </div></div>

That's the updated Sidearmor rail. The old version had removal rails up front - this version has them built in. I think I would like the old version better as I don't need all that rail space.... Guess that is what a mill is for, right?

I've had both the M4 and an FN tactical... except for having to
change out part of the gas system to shoot very light loads, the
FN is a great gun for about 1/2 the price...

I have a M4 and hae to say that I love it. I haven't had any other semi tactical shotguns, but a few pumps. I Think the Benilli is a great gun and should be very rugged.

after owning my benelli m4 for two years, i think i should have bought a remington 870. The m4 is relatively heavy and aftermarket parts are pricy. its stock configuration is definately not high speed low drag. right after purchase, i had to upgrade parts to make it user friendly. they include new bolt handle, full length mag tube, and oversized safety button.

I have a M4

Replaced the pistol grip stock with a Bennelli Field stock.

Replaced the Mod choke tube with a CYL tube.

I mostly shoot Brenneke Mag Slugs green.

Replaced the Magazine Follower with a Nordic Red Low Drag Follower.

Install a 2 Shot Extension

Installed a BLAM4 light mount with TLR-1 Streamlight.

I use a Aimpoint M68 sight in a ARMS M68 mount.

Sure is one sweet shotgun!

Bear And Home Protection!

The Best Shotgun and Probably the Last shotgun I will ever buy!

Last edited: