• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bent decapping assembly

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
So a mate and I were reloading today for his rifle. All the equipment is mine and I have donated him my RCBS die set that I replaced with a Forster die set.

My die setup is different to his as his rifle cannot chamber my .308win cases without getting a jam... I bump my shoulders back only a tiny amount.

Anyway, I was passing lubed cases to him and he was running them thru the FL sizer. One case was a little hard to size so I removed the die to have a look and what do ya know, the decapping assembly is bent!! BENT!

Not the pin... the assembly from the expander ball down is bent. How on earth does one do this and does it happen often?

I know pins break but the assembly?

Cases were deprimed Lapua .308 cases.

Im a little bit dissapointed as the part will be a bitch to replace before its needed next.

Please share your story as I have no idea what this happened... and yes the cases were properly placed in the shell holder.

Re: Bent decapping assembly

Did you look into the sized case's for anything inside them?
Mud,sand....

Were you using it on a Co-Ax ? I can't remember exactly but saw a thread recently about someone having a canted shellholder plate. I wonder if that would be enough to induce the bend. It would be surpsings if the brass caused deformation but a die that had unequal pressure might be at risk.

Also wondering if when you were FL resizing you undid / moved the die thread locking nut (you mention he had a different chamber so presuming you made a change to the die?) and perhaps had a cross thread, that might also haven canted the die ?

Keep us posted, interesting to hear what it really was.

I recently had the exact same thing happen with RCBS 223 dies that I had for 25 years. Case was Winchester that haad been reloaded 2x previously. Called RCBS and they replaced the entire decapping rod. Asked them what could have cause it. They were at a loss to explain it and suggested possible metal fatigue since the dies were so old.

Was this your Forster die (ouch) or the rcbs one?

All I can think of (on the Forster die) is the nut that clamps the decapping pin in place, bottomed out on the inside of the case while you were still raising the ram??
But then you would feel it, and it would have bottomed out on all the previous cases too.. ???
Unless it came unscrewed a bit and thus 'lengthened' down the stem..

Beats me
frown.gif

No idea why this happened.

It was an RCBS die. Used on my mates cases before, and they are fine. This happened on an RCBS Rockchucker press.

The die is relatively newish, only a few years old. I will probably end up replacing it with a Forster.

Il see if i can get a pic up... the bend is in what looks to be a very strong part of the assembly so it suprises me.

We don't get bent decapping stems from a press, die lock ring, shell holder, etc. Stems get bent when the bottom of the expander button contacts the solid case web. And that only happens if the stem is screwed down a bit too far.

Lee's much hated sliding decapper/expander stem is specificly designed to prevent exactly that. (Those of us who understand why it's made as it is and can use two wrenches at the same time like it pretty well tho. ??)

I have unfortunately bent several. Both RCBS and Redding.
As stated above, the culprit is some form of obstruction. Either an obstruction in the flash hole which usually results in a broken depriming pin before rod bend, OR the reason I have bent 2 separate Redding assemblies is adjusting the stem out to far and THEN adjusting the shoulder bump depth.
I found out the hard way that you need to remove the decapping rod assembly adjust your die depth for shoulder bump THEN put the decapping assembly back in to a proper depth.
Even so, the first case I run through after adjustments is done very slowly and stopped if there is ANY pressure change from normal noted.

I also use the rockchucker and at camover (the last 1/2" or so of ram travel) you generate alot of mechanical leverage, plenty to bend the decapping assembly...ask me how I know lol

madd0c

I have a RCBS comp die set loaned to me by a buddy. I was FlS'ing and decaping some 308 Win "range kill brass" for plinking.
I did not notice that there was a berdan primed case amongst the bucket of cases. I killed the center shaft in that case.
I felt I had to replace it for my buddy ( my Bad for not checking ) so I rang RCBS an explained what I did with a credit card in my hand waiting to pay. The guy called Charles at RCBS service center listened and got my mailing details and said the part would be in the mail that day. I asked how much did he want for the part and postage. he said do not worry about it.
It was the second time that RCBS has made it right for me.
I think green is good. Ring em.

I will call RCBS.
smile.gif

maddoc, seems it did bottom out. I made a minor (like bees dick) adjustment to the die, and it bottomed out.

As I was passing the cases to my friend and he was sizing them, he probably wasnt aware of what is normal, and abnormal in regards to required force.

Anyways, bent assembly later, this is what happens.

Lesson learnt

The Pin gaught got somehow on something and bent the whole stem

I have had the unfortunate experience of this happening

I also would be aware that any brass you sized while the rod was bent (maybe even slightly) will come out egg shaped. May be hard to see with the naked eye but measure your brass necks

I have looked at the brass and the interior on one case has some marks around the primer hole obviously from the decapping stem smashing into the bottom.

That case is most likely scrap.

I bent one on a Berdan .223 case once when I was reloading a bunch on my rockchucker. I was using range pickup brass so that was how that one case got in there. First time I ever ran into a brass 'Berdan' primed .223 case. Forgot who made it. Required a 30 mile round trip to the nearest reloading shop to pickup a new one. Later that evening I told my brother about and he had a couple of new decap rods saved back in his pile of stuff. Wish I knew that. I'm sure I picked up more bullets or primers while I was there so wasn't total loss.

I have literally called every local store and had no luck... thats what happens when you live in Australia.

Anyways looks like a new die set will need to be purchased in order to shoot over these coming weeks, and Il order a new assembly on my next order from Sinclairs Intl.

I have my Forster set ready to go and really dont want to change settings back and forth between rifles... its a pita doing that.