• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beretta CX4 9mm vs .40

NoveSPR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Gov. Blago's Paradise
Purchasing a CX4 carbine and want some direction on which caliber to choose. I know the obvious difference in stopping power but am curious on range vs accuracy on each round. If anyone has any experience w this rifle I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Re: Beretta CX4 9mm vs .40

No experience with this rifle but do offer this. 9mm shoots flatter and 40s/w has more bullet weigh therefore more punch. That seems to be the better question. What's more important to you. But if I wanted a carbine type rifle, It would seem the better choice, for me, would be something in a rifle caliber IE: M4 or something along those lines.

I have the CX4 in 40. I bought the 40 because it has a good mix of magazine capacity and stopping power. I am however surprised at how much recoil it has. I've not shot them side by side but I feel my AR's do not kick any harder. Not a big deal, just was expecting less. The CX4 has a big heavy bolt carrier. I think when that thing gets moving it is hard to stop, hence the unexpectdedly high recoil. The 9mm I am sure is better in that regard. Also the 9mm probably gains some velocity in the 16" barrel as compared to a pistol, whereas I am not sure that is true for the 40. If it is just for play I would buy the 9mm I think.

Understood, I own AR's and an AK but just wanted to fill another segment(although not very practical unless you're SWAT or something!) for a fun shooter w/ a EO 553 on top. Mostly used for a fun shooter at the club and an occasional potshot at the local varmints.

That's sort of why I bought mine; one of the local clubs has a monthly three gun shoot, but limits carbines to non-magnum pistol caliber. I just bought an HK94 though so the Storm is taking a backseat.

I own a cx4 in 9mm and love it. Here are the reasons I went 9mm.

Reason #1 and perhaps the biggest, is magazine capacity and availability. It takes standard beretta 92FS magazines. You can acquire 20 round magazines for it just about anywhere. I've even got a 30 round magazine for it; although I cannot say I recommend it. It sticks out too far past the bottom of the weapon, and although fun, is not very functional.

Reason#2 was ammunition cost. The 9mm ammunition is by far one of the most popular and inexpensive pistol rounds to shoot. It is easy to find brass for, either at the range or in stores, and reloading is quick and easy.

Finally the 9mm is a fairly decent pistol cartridge. However, once you stuff it into a carbine it really begins to shine. You have roughly 4 times the barrel length that you would in a pistol and it makes a huge difference in velocity and therefore the force of the bullet. It is fairly flat shooting for a pistol caliber and I have also found it to be very accurate.

Also the size and weight of the carbine are great. Please see below for a quick photo of the CX4 next to my M4'gery. Notice the stock on my M4 is collapsed.

Hope this helped.

cx4vsm4.jpg

OSU, Thanks for the info. My initial thought was .40 for obvious stopping power advantage but in reality for its use the 9mm is in my opinion the way to go. BTW, you'll probably be hearing from me soon about your targets.

I have a Cx4 in 9mm. Out of all the guns I own, I will say it is my favorite(and most trusted) gun. The only potential draw back is the muzzle velocity. I put an FMJ round through a (cheap)bathtub and the brick wall behind it. This can be fixed with hollow points though. Low recoil(My M4 at work has a much heavier recoil), suprising accuracy and range. If the metal hit the meat, I'd grab my Storm before any other gun I own.

It's good to hear about the differance of the rounds in the 16" barrels. I have been wanting a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 for a while now, just couldn't decide on which caliber. I just wish they made one in 10mm.

I have one in 9mm with Magpul BUIS and and Eotec 511 on board with the Siglite vertical grip tac lite. Its my defacto house gun for when things go bump in the night. Sigthed in at 20 yards its still wickedly on target during rapid fire at a 100.