• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara 14R CF vs Steel

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Hey all,

don't want to hijack my own thread, so I created this one for this unique question that I can't find much discussion on besides few comments here and some youtube commenters.

I've read that the 14R CF barrel is not a good barrel because inside is a much thinner profile barrel compared to the one in the steel version. It's especially bad if you use a supressor for the added weight up front.

however it looks cool, and I wouldn't mind spending the extra 60 bucks for it.

Why is the CF barreled 14R kind of looked down on?

From my understanding Bergara "carbon" barrels are sleeved, not wrapped. So they don't have the rigidity/integrity of an actual wrapped CF barrel. I have a Bergara BMR carbon, accuracy is pretty good, I have put my can on it, it was fine.

From my understanding Bergara "carbon" barrels are sleeved, not wrapped. So they don't have the rigidity/integrity of an actual wrapped CF barrel. I have a Bergara BMR carbon, accuracy is pretty good, I have put my can on it, it was fine.

I see. so it's more of a "look" than add rigidity.

But is the barrel really thinner on the inside? hmm

Yes the carbon barrels are a pencil barrel in a carbon sleeve. They tend to shoot good by themselves but not handle heat as well or suppressors

Steel seems to be the best.

One of many threads for reference

Reactions: Cowpokey
Yes the carbon barrels are a pencil barrel in a carbon sleeve. They tend to shoot good by themselves but not handle heat as well or suppressors

Steel seems to be the best.

One of many threads for reference

Amazing. that's what I was looking for.

Yep, that's literally a pencil barrel. Kinda shady stuff from them. lol.

It is a thin barrel with a CF sleeve. Go with the steel. I did not want to pay more to get a lighter gun, I wanted the heavier gun.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I have not seen a single shred of proof that on average the CF barrels shoot any worse than steel versions. I've encountered 6 CF guns now. Not a turd in the lot. Double to triple that many steel versions.

People don't buy the CF barrel guns to have a fucking opinion that matters. It's all heresay. "My buddy's neighbor has one....I haven't shot one....but they are shit." Is the type of comments I see on FB and elsewhere.

That's not to say the B14R guns haven't had issues. Bergara to their credit has worked to address issues and fix them.

I get a kick how people seem to forget Bergara was a barrel manufacturer long before they made guns. Yet somehow now they no longer know how to make quality barrels?

If you don't want a CF barrel....then don't buy one.

I have not seen a single shred of proof that on average the CF barrels shoot any worse than steel versions. I've encountered 6 CF guns now. Not a turd in the lot. Double to triple that many steel versions.

People don't buy the CF barrel guns to have a fucking opinion that matters. It's all heresay. "My buddy's neighbor has one....I haven't shot one....but they are shit." Is the type of comments I see on FB and elsewhere.

That's not to say the B14R guns haven't had issues. Bergara to their credit has worked to address issues and fix them.

I get a kick how people seem to forget Bergara was a barrel manufacturer long before they made guns. Yet somehow now they no longer know how to make quality barrels?

If you don't want a CF barrel....then don't buy one.

Well... thing is, i do want a buy a CF barrel. But I'm not going to give up on a thicker piece of steel for it. It shaves a pound in 16 inches, thats a big difference.

I also don't think 22lr csrtridge and a very light 22 supressor would make a difference between pencil barrel and hb in terms of accuracy.

But i don't know these things so I come and ask. And consensus is usually, no matter the caliber, thicker barrel is usually a good thing for heat soak and to some extent, accuracy

Well... thing is, i do want a buy a CF barrel. But I'm not going to give up on a thicker piece of steel for it. It shaves a pound in 16 inches, thats a big difference.

I also don't think 22lr csrtridge and a very light 22 supressor would make a difference between pencil barrel and hb in terms of accuracy.

But i don't know these things so I come and ask. And consensus is usually, no matter the caliber, thicker barrel is usually a good thing for heat soak and to some extent, accuracy
I mentioned heat above. But heat won’t be much of an issue with a .22. Hanging a can off the end can have effects however

Otherwise for the most part the carbon and steel will both be very accurate

If you’re not suppressing the carbon may be a great option

I don't remember what you plan for normal use, a CF barrel isn't really going to make a R 700 clone light enough for carrying through the woods/field/up a mountain on a day trek. There really isn't a reason to go with a CF barrel if your main use will be at the range; heavier steel barrel might actually help. My Vudoo has a 20" MTU barrel, and sits in an MPA BA Comp chassis, with scope it's over 16#, that's without a bipod or mag. It's a great rifle, but there's no way I'm carrying it on a hunting trip...and a CF barrel wouldn't lighten it up enough to change my mind.

@DFOOSKING is correct, Bergara started off as a barrel making company, and they put out some good ones. A wrapped CF barrel would help with all things kewl, they are spendy.

I don't remember what you plan for normal use, a CF barrel isn't really going to make a R 700 clone light enough for carrying through the woods/field/up a mountain on a day trek. There really isn't a reason to go with a CF barrel if your main use will be at the range; heavier steel barrel might actually help. My Vudoo has a 20" MTU barrel, and sits in an MPA BA Comp chassis, with scope it's over 16#, that's without a bipod or mag. It's a great rifle, but there's no way I'm carrying it on a hunting trip...and a CF barrel wouldn't lighten it up enough to change my mind.

@DFOOSKING is correct, Bergara started off as a barrel making company, and they put out some good ones. A wrapped CF barrel would help with all things kewl, they are spendy.

Honestly for a 22... it just looked cool, but I won't give up a hb for it. I csme here to ask if anyone had proof and someone indeed showed it to me. I couldn't find it bu searching unfortunately.

My r700 is 17 lbs, I ain't carrying that thing around to hunt. Lol

Reactions: Cowpokey
Well, I don't have any experience with a Bergara B14R, but I think it would be your best option...at the moment. I still say, save up more and get what you really desire, rather than settling down with what you can stretch the budget for right now.

It really will save money in the long run, and you won't have to say...dang, if'n I just would have waited.

The B14R is still a R-700 clone, so you can upgrade it to your heart's content, with trigger options, stock/chassis...if it really came down to it a barrel swap, but by then you'd definitely be in Vudoo or RimX $$$.

No one can honestly tell you what to do, it's your money. Make the best decision for you, and have fun...fun being the most important part as far as I'm concerned. I'm a do what I want, maybe get forgiveness later kind of guy, but my wife is fully on board with "get the best thing you want, so you don't waste money replacing it later" kind of gal...and she is absolutely correct.

Well, I don't have any experience with a Bergara B14R, but I think it would be your best option...at the moment. I still say, save up more and get what you really desire, rather than settling down with what you can stretch the budget for right now.

It really will save money in the long run, and you won't have to say...dang, if'n I just would have waited.

The B14R is still a R-700 clone, so you can upgrade it to your heart's content, with trigger options, stock/chassis...if it really came down to it a barrel swap, but by then you'd definitely be in Vudoo or RimX $$$.

No one can honestly tell you what to do, it's your money. Make the best decision for you, and have fun...fun being the most important part as far as I'm concerned. I'm a do what I want, maybe get forgiveness later kind of guy, but my wife is fully on board with "get the best thing you want, so you don't waste money replacing it later" kind of gal...and she is absolutely correct.

I can't spend vudoo kind of money on a sport I don't even know if I'll enjoy.

I've decided on the bergara. I'm going to order it in thr next few days. I'm an ffl so I ship it to my business. I'm out of town so it'll wait a few days so.its there for me to sign.

I've stretched my budget from 500ish to over 1200, so that is as far as I'm willing to go.

Vudoo just isn't for me.

I own a corvette because I stretched my budget to its limit to get the best I can afford. I'd love to have a Ferrari but I'm not gonna sit here saving my pennies and hope to get it in the future and miss out on all the fun now 😊

And I'm ot going to sell my Nighthawks for a vudoo 👀

I have the B14R CF and it shoots just fine with or without a suppressor.
I have used it for two seasons of NRL type shooting and except for the balance of the rifle it has been a Solid rifle. I have Vudoo now but don’t plan to get rid of the Bergara because it shoots so well.

Reactions: Commodog
I own a corvette because I stretched my budget to its limit to get the best I can afford. I'd love to have a Ferrari but I'm not gonna sit here saving my pennies and hope to get it in the future and miss out on all the fun now 😊
I've wanted a Corvette for as long as I can remember, haven't taken the leap yet, maybe I never will...but those new C8...holy wow, if it wasn't for the Stealership price gouging, I'd have one already.

You plan on trying to make the rifle as light as possible to carry around? If not then get a steel barrel. Carbon fiber barrels are a way to be lighter. Not more accurate.

I just picked up my Bergara B14R Carbon from my FFL Monday evening.

I've only put 50 rounds through it and already wish I had gotten a steel barrel. The very rear-heavy BMR stock and the light carbon fiber barrel cause the gun balances pretty far rearwards. I'm still waiting on a shipment of quality ammo, so I can't offer any insight on accuracy.

Other points - The bolt lug raceways are slightly gritty, but I expect this to wear in and fully smooth out. The bolt close is actually terrible, I can't see this wearing in. As is, closing the bolt requires a lot of force and torques the rifle over. I'm not sure why Bergara didn't taper the rear of the bolt to lessen the force. The BMR stock is extremely cheap, although pretty functional for a free stock. The stock has injection molding lines and some of the metal parts have pretty rough machining/tooling marks.

Happy to answer questions or post pics.

You plan on trying to make the rifle as light as possible to carry around? If not then get a steel barrel. Carbon fiber barrels are a way to be lighter. Not more accurate.
The most accurate barrel I ever worked a load up on was a Proof Carbon 6mm Dasher. Not saying you are wrong here, but the Proof on my Rim X was extremely accurate also.
I doubt I will ever buy a carbon wrapped barrel again though, but accuracy is not the focal point here though.

The most accurate barrel I ever worked a load up on was a Proof Carbon 6mm Dasher. Not saying you are wrong here, but the Proof on my Rim X was extremely accurate also.
I doubt I will ever buy a carbon wrapped barrel again though, but accuracy is not the focal point here though.

An example of one is just that. Have seen and heard of more people with carbon fiber barrels starting to walk shots after a few shots. No reason to go carbon fiber unless you want to save weight. There is no other useful reason.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
I've wanted a Corvette for as long as I can remember, haven't taken the leap yet, maybe I never will...but those new C8...holy wow, if it wasn't for the Stealership price gouging, I'd have one already.

Yep. Many of my friends say I should keep c7. I want to upgrade but I cant afford a c8 with the crazy prices. Thought of a used one butttt...

The corvette isn't "everyday man's" sports car anymore.

I got the steel barrel mainly in case I ever decide to trim a few inches off it to offset the extra length the suppressor adds.

Also because carbon fibre doesn't do much for me. Nothing against it, just not for me.

An example of one is just that. Have seen and heard of more people with carbon fiber barrels starting to walk shots after a few shots. No reason to go carbon fiber unless you want to save weight. There is no other useful reason.
I had to think about this, carbon 22LR barrels are walking after a few shots, or CF barrels walk after a few?
I don't read advertisements, but by design, shouldn't a carbon barrel "walk" less than steel?

I guess I still chuckle over the finding yrs ago that fluted barrels bend after a few shots but suppressors heating the muzzle to Hot temps had no effect.

I had to think about this, carbon 22LR barrels are walking after a few shots, or CF barrels walk after a few?
I don't read advertisements, but by design, shouldn't a carbon barrel "walk" less than steel?

I guess I still chuckle over the finding yrs ago that fluted barrels bend after a few shots but suppressors heating the muzzle to Hot temps had no effect.
Center fire. Rimfire doesn’t heat enough but you are still using a thin steel barrel wrapped in carbon fiber so no they will still walk more than a steel barrel of the same outside diameter. But again unless you need very lightweight with a Rimfire there is no reason to go carbon fiber. You gain nothing.

Center fire. Rimfire doesn’t heat enough but you are still using a thin steel barrel wrapped in carbon fiber so no they will still walk more than a steel barrel of the same outside diameter. But again unless you need very lightweight with a Rimfire there is no reason to go carbon fiber. You gain nothing.
Thanks, makes sense! I haven't disagreed with anything you have said, wanted clarification.

Reactions: Rob01
I was preparing to ask the same question but I am glad I ran into this thread.....

I want to get a B-14r but the only one they have available right now is the CF barrel version. I currently have a BMR but I want to get the B-14r so I can have a build that mirrors the one for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I understand the balance issues that the CF barrel will present but if I was to have a chassis that allow weights to be placed on the front part of said rifle, can that solve the problem?

I am planning to just do shooting from the prone and bench, so will having a CF barrel be a show stopper?