• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara 22 Problem

BPGuru

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2020
Second time out with new rifle. First impression is it feels like a centerfire not a typical 22. Very true about heavy bolt closure but getting use to that. I adjusted the trigger pull and little heavier than what I prefer but very useable.

The problem I have is about one round in five doesn’t eject. I am thinking this is due to ejector and not extraction. Very smooth feeding until this occurs at which point the action is locked up until the empty case is removed. Anyone experiencing this problem? If so what is a correction? This does seem to happen more often when the bolt is run slowly but happens with more aggressive bolt operation too.

I have noticed the fixed ejector has some play or wiggle. Do others notice a slight movement in the ejector if touched?

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions!

Make sure to run the bolt all the way back or the ejector can not do it’s job.

Where is the case when it's jamming? Stuck in chamber or out of the chamber but still in the action?

You mentioned hard bolt closure. Are you able to extract a live round? My chamber is very tight. I cannot extract a live round with RWS, and my SK selection will extract but the bullet is engraved by the rifling. If this is what you're experiencing, try cleaning the throat (use solvent and a brush) and try different ammo.

More details would be helpful.

I have had issues with ejection on CCI SV only, just got my B14R 5 days ago. I think I have had 3 out of 100 or 150.

Where is the case when it's jamming? Stuck in chamber or out of the chamber but still in the action?

You mentioned hard bolt closure. Are you able to extract a live round? My chamber is very tight. I cannot extract a live round with RWS, and my SK selection will extract but the bullet is engraved by the rifling. If this is what you're experiencing, try cleaning the throat (use solvent and a brush) and try different ammo.

More details would be helpful.
My problem is not with extraction as the case is pulled from the chamber. It is stuck most times backwards in the action. Sometimes the spent case is crossways behind the 22 magazine feed lips if that makes sense. It totally locks up the action.
I also posted the ejector has some wiggle or movement when touched. Also running the bolt hard only ejects the cases out of the action a short distance. I think it is an ejector problem at this point but welcome input and possible fixes. Thank you for your reply!

My problem is not with extraction as the case is pulled from the chamber. It is stuck most times backwards in the action. Sometimes the spent case is crossways behind the 22 magazine feed lips if that makes sense. It totally locks up the action.
I also posted the ejector has some wiggle or movement when touched. Also running the bolt hard only ejects the cases out of the action a short distance. I think it is an ejector problem at this point but welcome input and possible fixes. Thank you for your reply!
Just a thought, have you tried a different mag? Or tried shooting, dropping the mag, then opening the bolt? If that doesn't change things call Bergara, they will take care of you.

Just a thought, have you tried a different mag? Or tried shooting, dropping the mag, then opening the bolt? If that doesn't change things call Bergara, they will take care of you.
The rifle ships with one mag and it is unique. I understand magazines are not yet available separately. If someone reading this knows differently please chime in and I will order a couple.
I will try the shoot and drop mag before working the bolt. And I guess I need to call the company. Thanks again and I welcome any advice.

Just checked my rifle, the ejector “wiggles“ too, very little from side to side and a little more forward and back. When I look at it trough the mag well the ejector fits perfectly in the groove cut in the bolt with only enough space on top to not touch.

The rifle ships with one mag and it is unique. I understand magazines are not yet available separately. If someone reading this knows differently please chime in and I will order a couple.
I will try the shoot and drop mag before working the bolt. And I guess I need to call the company. Thanks again and I welcome any advice.
Mags are available but hard to find in stock, I have 3.

Is your problem isolated to one brand or type of ammo? Maybe try a diffent brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: EscapeVelocity
Ejection is highly dependent on how tight your extractors are - they are what puts the “spring” in the ejection cycle.

Ejection is highly dependent on how tight your extractors are - they are what puts the “spring” in the ejection cycle.
Thanks! Don’t think I can adjust that. Possible without replacing parts
Just discovered maybe the problem. With rifle on safe and all necessary safety precautions- the rifle will not reliably extract an unfired round. About two times out of five the loaded round stays in the chamber. Nice rifling marks engraved on the lead bullet though. This was with my normal practice ammo SK Standard Plus. Have not tried Eley yet but don’t want to practice with black or red box Eley. I would think this is not normal. Likely the extractor tension is not enough to hold the case. Yes I have cleaned the chamber. Thoughts?

Thanks! Don’t think I can adjust that. Possible without replacing parts

Just discovered maybe the problem. With rifle on safe and all necessary safety precautions- the rifle will not reliably extract an unfired round. About two times out of five the loaded round stays in the chamber. Nice rifling marks engraved on the lead bullet though. This was with my normal practice ammo SK Standard Plus. Have not tried Eley yet but don’t want to practice with black or red box Eley. I would think this is not normal. Likely the extractor tension is not enough to hold the case. Yes I have cleaned the chamber. Thoughts?
It will be harder and probably normal for it to not extract a live round because of the bullet being jammed into the rifling.

Last edited:
I would remove the left side extractor and make sure it moves freely and the lip that holds the case rim is free from any defects.
If the case is pulled out of the chamber but will not eject the left side extractor is probably binding.

I will contact Bergara tomorrow since I had this happen on a few CCI rounds. I will post the response I get, it may just be they want the rifle sent back for inspection.

Response from Bergara.

T.J.,

Yes sir. With regard to ejection, the ejector is fixed in the receiver and relies on the bolt being drawn to the rear completely and correlates directly to the force used to draw the bolt to the rear how far it will eject out of the rifle. If the rifle is not extracting the fired cases from the chamber, we may want to write a repair ticket to have the rifle inspected/repaired in our warranty facility.

Thank You,

Oliver Botts

Customer Service Rep

BPI Outdoors

Response from Bergara.

T.J.,

Yes sir. With regard to ejection, the ejector is fixed in the receiver and relies on the bolt being drawn to the rear completely and correlates directly to the force used to draw the bolt to the rear how far it will eject out of the rifle. If the rifle is not extracting the fired cases from the chamber, we may want to write a repair ticket to have the rifle inspected/repaired in our warranty facility.

Thank You,

Oliver Botts

Customer Service Rep

BPI Outdoors
Thanks for info! Seems I am not the only one with this problem.

It doesn't help you guys per se, but I haven't heard of ejection issues as a common fault of the B14R. Mine has performed flawlessly while in my hands and the previous owner of ~1500 rounds didn't mention any troubles. I can't say that I run the bolt hard, but while sitting on the bench shooting I run it "normal". In a match I am likely cycling it a bit more spirited. Sounds like you should try a little more zip and if that isn't it, send it back. They are expensive enough guns that you shouldn't have to settle for less than being happy. Bergara seems willing to help, too.

If I run mine slow it dumps them out a few inches away. If I run it quickly it throws them a foot or so. The ejector in mine has the slightest bit of wiggle.

Mine will extract eley target, but not sk+ or center-x. It's a match chambered 22, I would be surprised if it did extract everything.

I'm glad Bergara is going to take care of it regardless. Mine has always ran flawless. I also picked up an extra mag from Bergara.
Thanks for inputs. Have been working so will be Saturday before I can spend more time with it. If this continues I will contact Bergara.

I would remove the left side extractor and make sure it moves freely and the lip that holds the case rim is free from any defects.
If the case is pulled out of the chamber but will not eject the left side extractor is probably binding.
I am having ejection problems with my B14R carbon barrel. The sping in the left extractor is much weaker than the right. Don't know if that has nything to do with it o

Mine is like that too, not sure if that is normal
I have contacted by email (phone line has service problems and not operational per message) the warranty department of Bergara. Waiting on their response to hopefully get this problem resolved. At this point I have given up attempting to work with it further. Sorry to hear others are having a similar ejection problem. Be safe and enjoy the remainder of the 4th weekend.

Try this.....place a fired case in the chamber,close the bolt on it, remove magazine.....now open bolt and extract case slowly.....does the extractor and holder drop the case? if it does theres your problem.

I have tried several versions of loading a fired case. The bolt will extract the case and securely hold it until the case contacts the ejector. You can run the case in and out of the chamber and the bolt maintains a grip on the case. I think either the left extractor has too much tension or the right has too little. If the rifle were not new and under warranty I would remove a little metal off the hook of the left side. However, I am not going to void the warranty. Thanks again to all for input. I am waiting on response from Bergara.

Heard back from Bergara. They sent a repair ticket and a shipping label. I sent the rifle off today to their facility in GA. Will post results when I receive it back. Really like the rifle but it does need to work. Thanks for all your responses and suggestions.

I received my rifle back from Bergara service department. So far it has run flawlessly for 200 rounds. The repair ticket said they polished the chamber. However, the front half of the bolt which houses the ejectors appears new. Either way I appreciate the rifle being repaired.

Thanks to everyone here who assisted in trying to sort this problem out. I tried every thing suggested. The only thing funny to me was advice along the lines to put down my purse and run the bolt. Of course with all the aliases here we really don’t know one another. I have run a bolt likely more than most.

Again, thanks for the help. I do recommend the rifle. It’s only nagging flaw is hard bolt closure. Now I just need to put down my purse and close that bolt. It’s all good!

It’s only nagging flaw is hard bolt closure.
How is your bolt closure doing now? I have a new B14R Carbon, and the bolt is quite hard to close. Noticeable harder (both empty and with a round) than CZ and Tikka 22LRs, and Sako, CZ, and Tikka centerfires.

How is your bolt closure doing now? I have a new B14R Carbon, and the bolt is quite hard to close. Noticeable harder (both empty and with a round) than CZ and Tikka 22LRs, and Sako, CZ, and Tikka centerfires.
My bolt closing got easier after 500 or so rounds. Still not as smooth as my well used CZ457.

FYI, I sent my B14 R to Bergara for a hard closing bolt.

Summary is that it just has a harder closing bolt (at least compared to what I'm used to)
IMG_20210528_112643__01.jpg
See attached.