• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14 HMR Or Ruger American Hunter?

At The Cross

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2020
Hi all -

Have been considering my first long range rifle in 6.5 CM and I think that I have narrowed it down to 2...the Bergara B-14 HMR or the Ruger American Hunter. I have shouldered both several times and like them both for different reasons. So I was hoping to get some insight from those who own either of these.

My use will be mainly target shooting and when i say that i do not mean bench shooting. I mean shooting steel at 100-700 yards in the prone, off barricades and in the dirt and dust. I need a gun that can handle abuse and keeps coming back for more. I want the heavy barrel that both the Ruger and the 22 inch Bergara have. in short, I want a gun that is built like a tank and won't quit....and yes I will clean it every now and again.

Any thoughts or other recommendations would be appreciated.

My preference is Begara. Accuracy shouldn't be an issue on either but the aftermarket support on the Begara is far superior to the Ruger. The Begara is a Remington 700 clone and can utilize most of the available aftermarket support for the 700. The options for triggers, barrels, stocks or chassis's are endless.

Bergara uses a Savage small shank barrel tennon (the threaded part of the action). It makes for a nice system as you can swap the barrel out.

But the bigger factor, as the barrel should be good is that you can put a Bergara in a 700 stock, and use 700 clone triggers. Like a Tubb, Canjar, Jewell, Bix and Andy or if you really hate yourself Timney.

Other than the optic the most important aspect of the rifle is the trigger and barrel.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually got to shoot these two rifles the other day and a tikka t3x. I think I might look closer at the tikka.

Take care all