• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14 HMR 300 win

pkp851

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2018
Kingsland, GA
Hello. I'm new to the forum and wanting to get some opinions on the Bergara B14 HMR in a 300 win. I have been hunting for years and going to Wyoming to do mountain hunts for the last 10. This has allowed for some long range shots and I have enjoyed the challenge of being able to shoot 300-500 yards with my Browning A-bolt 7 mm. Now, I am wanting to get into doing some longer range shooting and have a rifle that will still do the job on a Muley or Elk. I have been eyeing the Bergara mentioned above and have seen lots of great reviews on youtube and google. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any bad experiences with this gun or Bergara as a company. Also, if there were any better suggestions. I'm wanting to keep it under $1000 for the rifle if possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Forgot to mention that I have a can coming and would like a threaded barrel.

Last edited:
Bergara in my experience is g2g. I would also look at Tikka. Right now eurooptic has a Tikka T3 in 300 win for $538. This setup might not give you the adjustments the HMR does, but if the KRG Bravo ($389) chasis fits it then you got yourself a $900 ish long range rifle setup. Again I’m not sure if it would fit but maybe someone else here can confirm. Good Luck in your search.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonicBurlap
If you're looking to after market options go with a custom build. Tikka IMO option is the better gun. My Bergara is not a good shooter and will be getting warranty on it. I like some parts of the Bergara but action, trigger and some other things leave a lot to be desired. I'm a disappointed Bergara owner and customer service wasn't exactly great. Were I to do it all over, I'd do a custom build. Not much difference in cost.

Reactions: Metzger
If you're looking to after market options go with a custom build. Tikka IMO option is the better gun. My Bergara is not a good shooter and will be getting warranty on it. I like some parts of the Bergara but action, trigger and some other things leave a lot to be desired. I'm a disappointed Bergara owner and customer service wasn't exactly great. Were I to do it all over, I'd do a custom build. Not much difference in cost.
What is left of the rifle that you like? The stock screws? Recoil pad maybe?

Curious to hear more about your issues with the rifle.

I’m very interested to hear what problems you had with it as well. Could you elaborate a little?

I’m very interested to hear what problems you had with it as well. Could you elaborate a little?

I bought a B14 HMR in 22-250. I went through the recommended break in process. I initially shot some Hornady Factory 50 grain vmax loads and these did not group under 3 1/2 inches at 200 yds. I then went to some of my accurate loads in 75 AMAX, these would group with two in 1/2 inch at 100 yds and the third shot (usually the second shot ) would be a flier expanding the group to 2 or more inches. I then called Bergara Customer service. The gentleman there told me I couldn't rely on the present ammo I was using and needed to try Varmageddon ammo and that is what Bergara uses as their accuracy ammo. The gentleman also told me that if it didn't shoot well with Varmageddon I needed to call back and maybe the next step would be to return it to them and have their gunsmith look at it. I then purchased a box of Varmageddon and shot it in the Bergara and in my 22-250 Savage. It shot just under two inches in my Bergara at 100 yds and shot in a slightly over 1/2 inch in my Savage at 100 yds. I tried four types of ammo in the Bergara, none shot well. The bolt sounds rough as you slide it in the receiver, the trigger comes at 2 1/2 lbs and in the first one I had seemed difficult to adjust. Kudos to Scheels who replaced the rifle without much question. I really debated whether to get another Bergara, but did it and now on to break in the second one. If the second one doesn't perform, it will be replaced with another brand.

What is left of the rifle that you like? The stock screws? Recoil pad maybe?

I do like the stock, I think the action is not polished internally as well as it could be, my Savage actions are actually smoother. Don't believe I said that, but it's true.

I bought a B14 HMR in 22-250. I went through the recommended break in process. I initially shot some Hornady Factory 50 grain vmax loads and these did not group under 3 1/2 inches at 200 yds. I then went to some of my accurate loads in 75 AMAX, these would group with two in 1/2 inch at 100 yds and the third shot (usually the second shot ) would be a flier expanding the group to 2 or more inches. I then called Bergara Customer service. The gentleman there told me I couldn't rely on the present ammo I was using and needed to try Varmageddon ammo and that is what Bergara uses as their accuracy ammo. The gentleman also told me that if it didn't shoot well with Varmageddon I needed to call back and maybe the next step would be to return it to them and have their gunsmith look at it. I then purchased a box of Varmageddon and shot it in the Bergara and in my 22-250 Savage. It shot just under two inches in my Bergara at 100 yds and shot in a slightly over 1/2 inch in my Savage at 100 yds. I tried four types of ammo in the Bergara, none shot well. The bolt sounds rough as you slide it in the receiver, the trigger comes at 2 1/2 lbs and in the first one I had seemed difficult to adjust. Kudos to Scheels who replaced the rifle without much question. I really debated whether to get another Bergara, but did it and now on to break in the second one. If the second one doesn't perform, it will be replaced with another brand.

Please report back after you have a chance to break in the second one. I'm very interested to hear if you just got a lemon on the first or if there is a problem with the line.

I went forward and purchased the B14 HMR 300 win. because I found a great deal on one. Hopefully, I will be able to get out and shoot it some this weekend.

I do like the stock, I think the action is not polished internally as well as it could be, my Savage actions are actually smoother. Don't believe I said that, but it's true.

What's wrong with the trigger? And what other specifics do you not like? I don't want to bust your balls over it, I have a B14 HMR in 6.5 CM, and it's been a fantastic rifle. It has the smoothest action compared to my Howa and my Savage.

To be fair I did swap the trigger out after the first couple outings with it to a Triggertech Primary. The Bergara trigger wasn't bad, but I wanted it to be lighter.

What's wrong with the trigger? And what other specifics do you not like? I don't want to bust your balls over it, I have a B14 HMR in 6.5 CM, and it's been a fantastic rifle. It has the smoothest action compared to my Howa and my Savage.

To be fair I did swap the trigger out after the first couple outings with it to a Triggertech Primary. The Bergara trigger wasn't bad, but I wanted it to be lighter.
I had the HMR in 6.5 and shot it twice with the stock trigger. It's not bad; better than a REM700 and better than a Savage for me, but it's not a TriggerTech, Timney, etc.
Market today is for people to customize to what they want. IMHO be better if a company such as Bergara would offer production rifles with no trigger and maybe reduce the price; I know they started offering TT for their Premier line. I can also see the warranty nightmare when people install the triggers incorrectly or break something in the process while doing it.

Reactions: Vernal2019
I had the HMR in 6.5 and shot it twice with the stock trigger. It's not bad; better than a REM700 and better than a Savage for me, but it's not a TriggerTech, Timney, etc.
Market today is for people to customize to what they want. IMHO be better if a company such as Bergara would offer production rifles with no trigger and maybe reduce the price; I know they started offering TT for their Premier line. I can also see the warranty nightmare when people install the triggers incorrectly or break something in the process while doing it.

So you're thinking barreled action sans trigger? I can't say that there wouldn't be a market for it, but it's really a beginner/entry level rifle. This was really my first longrange/bolt action rifle (other than a Mosin) so I had no idea that I would want a lighter than factory trigger. But as it has turned out, my Howa now has a 1.5 pound Timney, and my Savage has the Accutrigger tuned to right at 1.5 pounds. Now knowing that, I would absolutely buy a barreled action by Bergara and do what you described.

So you're thinking barreled action sans trigger? I can't say that there wouldn't be a market for it, but it's really a beginner/entry level rifle. This was really my first longrange/bolt action rifle (other than a Mosin) so I had no idea that I would want a lighter than factory trigger. But as it has turned out, my Howa now has a 1.5 pound Timney, and my Savage has the Accutrigger tuned to right at 1.5 pounds. Now knowing that, I would absolutely buy a barreled action by Bergara and do what you described.
To me, and that's only me, "entry level" bolt action are becoming like AR type of adult legos. Some people do leave them stock, but most I've seen they always end up changing something. Be it stock/chasis, trigger, bolt knob. If I could do this all over again and I was buying my first bolt action rifle and I had the option I mentioned above I would definitely go for it.

To me, and that's only me, "entry level" bolt action are becoming like AR type of adult legos. Some people do leave them stock, but most I've seen they always end up changing something. Be it stock/chasis, trigger, bolt knob. If I could do this all over again and I was buying my first bolt action rifle and I had the option I mentioned above I would definitely go for it.

I'll agree with you to that extent, that many bolt action rifles are adult Legos, especially with the multiple options for at home barrel installs (Bugnuts, Remage, etc). That being said, I plan on my next rifle being a .223 trainer with a trued Rem700 action and Howage Barrel. But I understand where you're coming from.

I'll agree with you to that extent, that many bolt action rifles are adult Legos, especially with the multiple options for at home barrel installs (Bugnuts, Remage, etc). That being said, I plan on my next rifle being a .223 trainer with a trued Rem700 action and Howage Barrel. But I understand where you're coming from.
What magazine would it use?

I'm between doing a 223 trainer or going Vudoo 22. Was curious about 223 mags on a bolt action. Thanks for the info man!

I'm between doing a 223 trainer or going Vudoo 22. Was curious about 223 mags on a bolt action. Thanks for the info man!

I don't have any experience on how these perform, but my plan is to build a 223 trainer when I'm back from my second half of deployment later this year. But I'm glad to provide some info.

Please report back after you have a chance to break in the second one. I'm very interested to hear if you just got a lemon on the first or if there is a problem with the line.

I went forward and purchased the B14 HMR 300 win. because I found a great deal on one. Hopefully, I will be able to get out and shoot it some this weekend.
Well I did a break in on the 2nd Bergara 22-250. Some improvement, but not a home run by any means. In my opinion it still throws fliers. I have attached pictures for the Varmageddon factory, 50 VMax factory, 70 speer handloads, and 75 AMAX handloads which shoot under .5 MOA in my Savage. Input on your thoughts would be appreciated. My savages group equal or better in all of these loads. I expected more and my gunsmith warned me that not to compare to the 6.5 Creedmoor because 6.5 Creedmoor shoots well in a poor rifle. I also question the rate of twist because the 75 gr AMAX didn't do well in either Bergara and the shorter bullets especially the 70 gr Speer did best. I'm expecting that more of these should be in the .5 or less MOA, the range on these is 88 yards. So it's likely these spreads will be worse at a 100 or more. I'm waiting to hear. any input will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180830_131222.jpg
    20180830_131222.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20180830_131534.jpg
    20180830_131534.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180830_131049.jpg
    20180830_131049.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 99
Well I did a break in on the 2nd Bergara 22-250. Some improvement, but not a home run by any means. In my opinion it still throws fliers.

Are you getting the fliers early in your shooting session or later on? I have the B14 HMR in 6.5 CM and I can hold groups just under MOA at the start of shooting but once the action and barrel heat up the groups also open up.

Having seen a similar effect for someone else shooting the same model rifle also in 6.5, it makes me think the HMR just can't maintain sub-MOA accuracy once it has heated up.

Are you getting the fliers early in your shooting session or later on? I have the B14 HMR in 6.5 CM and I can hold groups just under MOA at the start of shooting but once the action and barrel heat up the groups also open up.

Having seen a similar effect for someone else shooting the same model rifle also in 6.5, it makes me think the HMR just can't maintain sub-MOA accuracy once it has heated up.

Well that sucks.

Early, I have shot these three shot groups and give the barrel time to cool down between groups. I'm also cleaning between these three shot groups instead of shooting continuosly. IMO, since I have experienced this once before with another brand, it's a barrel defect. Since this has happened to me twice with two random rifles, I think Bergara might be having some issues. If your groups open up after the barrel warms up, that is either a bedding problem or the barrel has some stress in it that shows up when it gets warm. I plan to contact Bergara again and give them the opportunity to rectify the issue. Interestingly enough one sales person at the store I bought this at said it would out shoot my savages while another salesperson said don't expect this to perform more than average, both own Bergara''s one is very happy, the other is barely satisfied.

Early, I have shot these three shot groups and give the barrel time to cool down between groups. I'm also cleaning between these three shot groups instead of shooting continuosly. IMO, since I have experienced this once before with another brand, it's a barrel defect. Since this has happened to me twice with two random rifles, I think Bergara might be having some issues.

I wonder about cleaning between every group. For grins shoot it fouled for Some groups over several sessions. My sako likes it dirty and will shoot fliers the first 6 rounds and then settles right in thereafter to produce nice groups hot or cold bore.

Reactions: DIBBS and Wyzrd
okay I will try that on my next trip to the range. I wondered about that but I wanted to Prolong the break-in period. I had a 6BR Savage that did this, called Savage, they had me return it and replaced the barrel. This barrel coppers very little.

I just about pulled the trigger today on either the 300wm HMR $900 or the 6.5CM HMR PRO $1600 the target that was attached to the 6.5CM HMR PRO had a three shot group that was around .37 it looked and felt really nice, I was toying with the idea of going back and getting it, but now I am not sure.

It seems like the Pro's are performing much better than the regular HMR, but at their price point you are not that far away from a custom.

Seems like Tikka is still the go to for an accurate rifle at the sub $1k price point.

I returned the second Bergara as well, it would not shoot ANYTHING better than an inch at 100 yds. I did call customer service and they asked me to send it in. However basically that is their warranty. When I talked to the store manager, he said he didn't know if Bergara would do anything to get it to shoot much better than that. After adding up the cost of building a custom with a KRG Bravo stock, it's not that much more and I'll have a better trigger, better action and most likely a good shooting rifle. The customer service person never a once said that oh it should shoot better than that, he only said our warranty is 1 moa at 100 yds. I have two Remingtons both of which have very smooth actions unlike the grinding noise exhibited by the Bergara. I wish Tikka made the fast twist 22-250. I so wanted the Bergara to shoot well, it's so disappointing. Also the shocker for me was another owner I know who told me they had issues with the Bolt Shroud on hand loads, his got replaced twice. Who builds rifles in this day and age that happens to?

I have no problems with either of my Bergaras. As for the B-14 shrouds Bergara stated it would not warrant hand loads in their B-14s , yet they graciously replaced shrouds for those who had problems because of hot loads anyway, according to what you just posted twice for someone you know. My Bergara actions run smoother than my Remington 700s did which I sold just because of that reason, smoother also than my friend's Tikka. I guess everyone can have a really bad experience with any manufacturer but I have never yet experienced a grinding noise from a Bergara. I can understand your disappointment . What store did you buy your Bergara from? Was it the same store you bought both rifles from? The Bergara customer service rep was correct though, they guarantee 1MOA or better at 100 yards. When they asked you to send it in, did you send it?

I just emailed bergara about this as I have an hmr in 6.5 cm
They told me they only offer barreled action in the premier line for 1200. Kinda pricey

More of you guys need to email them and ask about barreled actions for the hmr. They may offer them up

For the record my 6.5 hmr has been a .3 gun with my handloads if I do my part ;)

I just emailed bergara about this as I have an hmr in 6.5 cm
They told me they only offer barreled action in the premier line for 1200. Kinda pricey

More of you guys need to email them and ask about barreled actions for the hmr. They may offer them up

For the record my 6.5 hmr has been a .3 gun with my handloads if I do my part ;)
If they are talking $1,200 that's probably because they consider threaded barrel with thread protector, stainless steel barrel and action, fitted, action drilled for sights, fluted premier bolt, barrel and action cerakoted, TriggerTech frictionless trigger. Mounted into a stock, test fired for sub-moa guarantee and included target, removed from stock for sale. I could easily see how that mounts up to $1,200 not so pricey compared to what it would cost me to get that from my gunsmith and have all that done.

If they are talking $1,200 that's probably because they consider threaded barrel with thread protector, stainless steel barrel and action, fitted, action drilled for sights, fluted premier bolt, barrel and action cerakoted, TriggerTech frictionless trigger. Mounted into a stock, test fired for sub-moa guarantee and included target, removed from stock for sale. I could easily see how that mounts up to $1,200 not so pricey compared to what it would cost me to get that from my gunsmith and have all that done.

Good point, I looked into the premier line a little deeper after I wrote that and saw all of what they were. For some reason I thought they were just a trigger tech upgrade and that's it.

I must say I agree after I ran it all through my head. I hope thats just a retail price and street price is a little cheaper considering retail of the entire rifle is 1500
I imagine the demand for barreled Bergara actions isn't the highest in the world, given the plethora of other options out there. But, it would still make for a decent build.

I have a 300 win mag bergara hmr and I am shooting hornady precision hunter eld-x 200 gr. After the first five rounds of cleaning every shot (like the bergara book says to do), I didn't even have my gun sighted in yet and decided to lay 3 shots in a group for giggles. Shots 6,7,and 8 (ever fired through the rifle) are underneath the dime (with factory ammo). And this was at 100 yards (shot with a Nikon monarch rangefinder) off of sandbags. I have had the rifle since the end of June and I don't think I have one complaint yet. I put a vortex viper pst gen2 5-25x50 ffp on it and it makes for a wicked "entry level" gun in my opinion. I also had my factory set trigger pull measured and it was exactly 2 pounds. The action on my bergara is also very smooth. And I just joined this website earlier today so I could post on this specific blog so I could give my opinion to other people wondering about the rifle that I own because before I had the rifle I was dying for people to come up with some info on it, but then I had the opportunity to get my hands on one and I have zero regrets on buying it.

Attachments

• IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 177
I imagine the demand for barreled Bergara actions isn't the highest in the world, given the plethora of other options out there. But, it would still make for a decent build.
I believe it would be more than a decent build, my Bergaras beat my Remingtons and my friend's Tikka to pieces. Maybe it's just him but I've seen him shoot much better with his Weatherby. I've been thinking about just buying a B-14 Ridge in 6.5 Creedmoor because it has the 24" threaded barrel and dropping its barreled action into a Masterpiece BA Chassis, putting a TriggerTech frictionless trigger in it, and mounting a PVA 'Jet Blast' Muzzle Brake on it. The Ridge is Bergara's economy B-14. I'd also have my local gunsmith cerakote the barrel and action. Maybe next year.

I believe it would be more than a decent build, my Bergaras beat my Remingtons and my friend's Tikka to pieces. Maybe it's just him but I've seen him shoot much better with his Weatherby. I've been thinking about just buying a B-14 Ridge in 6.5 Creedmoor because it has the 24" threaded barrel and dropping its barreled action into a Masterpiece BA Chassis, putting a TriggerTech frictionless trigger in it, and mounting a PVA 'Jet Blast' Muzzle Brake on it. The Ridge is Bergara's economy B-14. I'd also have my local gunsmith cerakote the barrel and action. Maybe next year.
I'm planning a .223 trainer build when I get back stateside, if the B14 came in .223, I would consider using it for a build.

Not the B-14 but the Premier Series HMR Pro does come in .223 but then I wouldn't even mess with a build; it's got the internal aluminum chassis like the B-14 HMR, adjustable cheek riser and length of pull, stock internal pistol grip, accepts the AICS magazines, the things that are different are the TrigerTech frictionless trigger that's adjustable without having to remove it from the stock, premier action with a better bolt than the B-14, stainless steel barrel that's cerakoted, and they actually include the proof target with sub-moa test group plus it's been assembled here in the U.S. by just one of Dan Hanus' crew of veteran gunsmiths from eiither the USMC Precision Rifle Section, or the Army. I'd take that one just as is, especially for a trainer.

Since this is a thread about the 300wm, anyone else have a report on it? Very close to pulling the trigger on one and was wondering how the 300wm Magpul mags are working. Anyone shot it out to or past 1k yet?

It does from what I recall although it may be the premier.
I know the premier is available in 223
From what I can see, the premier is the only model that comes in .223. Which kind of reverts back to the price tag of $1200 for a barreled action, whereas if I go a different route, I can build almost a complete rifle (sans optic) for the same cost.

From what I can see, the premier is the only model that comes in .223. Which kind of reverts back to the price tag of $1200 for a barreled action, whereas if I go a different route, I can build almost a complete rifle (sans optic) for the same cost.
Somehow when I do a build I always end up right around $2,000 sometimes a couple hundred less, sometimes a couple hundred more. MPA or MDT Chassis or McMillan stock, Timney, or TriggerTech Trigger, Cerakote - that's why when I want to get a rifle that I'll keep right out of the box l usually end up with a Bergara; that way I can get something similar to what I'd build and still have a good chunk left for optics, base and rings, rails, ADI, or ARD.