• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara - B14 Ridge vs B14 HMR

mobo215

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2023
Philadelphia, PA
How important is it to have an embedded mini-chasis (B14 HMR) vs pillar bedding (B14 Ridge)? I ask because I prefer a standard hunting-style stock with a hinged floorplate. My next rifle will have a 22"-24" barrel, as I only own 16" rifles right now (Rem 700 in .308 and Ruger American Ranch in .300blk) and want to get out past 500yds.

Am I making a mistake if I opt for the Ridge over the HMR?

Reactions: Gon06
How important is it to have an embedded mini-chasis (B14 HMR) vs pillar bedding (B14 Ridge)? I ask because I prefer a standard hunting-style stock with a hinged floorplate. My next rifle will have a 22"-24" barrel, as I only own 16" rifles right now (Rem 700 in .308 and Ruger American Ranch in .300blk) and want to get out past 500yds.

Am I making a mistake if I opt for the Ridge over the HMR?
Mobo I'm with you on traditional stocks. I don't know about the hmr but I have 3 bergaras 223 ridge sp that is a tack driver,243 ridge and 243 timber both shoot .75 moa @135 yds wouldn't trade my bergaras for any other rifle

what are you going to be using the rifle for mostly?

what are you going to be using the rifle for mostly?
Target shooting only, but my experience is limited.

I've heard that the Ridge has a different taper than the HMR, but the pictures online seem to show that both have bull barrels (or close to a bull barrel profile).

If the stock is the only difference, I'm definitely going with the Ridge. I don't need an adjustable cheek riser and the ergonomics are better for me with the traditional stocks. If the HMR has a thicker barrel I might consider that before buying.

The ridge has a #5 contour the hmr has a #6 contour and is 2 lbs heavier I have the ridge in 243 and do targets only had to put a comb riser on to fit me

The ridge has a #5 contour the hmr has a #6 contour and is 2 lbs heavier I have the ridge in 243 and do targets only had to put a comb riser on to fit me
What's the difference between #5 & #6 contour? Is all off the difference in weight from the difference in barrel mass or is it mostly that the stocks different weights?

Well if its for target shooting on a bench and prone then I would get the hmr because its more comfortable for longer periods of time but thats just me. Doesnt put your wrist at a wierd angle. But if you feel the ridge is more comfortable then get it… it’s just a bench gun so not going to make that much of a difference