• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First Precision Bolt Gun: Bergara B14 HMR vs Tikka T3X Lite

Bergara B14 HMR vs Tikka T3X

• Bergara B14 HMR

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Tikka T3X

Votes: 44 73.3%

• Total voters
I feel like I have a better starting point in mind for the scope somehow. 4-20ish or 5-25ish, FFP, tree reticle. Just depending on how much I wanna spend, I was considering the Strike Eagle 5-25 or Viper 5-25, both EBR-7C in mils or the Leupold Mk4HD 6-24 PR2 in mils. But I still gotta do some reading cause I’m sure there’s better options out there.
I have a Viper HST 6-24 on my 223 Varmint. It's SFP with a MOA reticle. It's pretty Ok I have no problem seeing 7 or 800 yards with it. Then again I'm not an optics fanatic. Its good until you get close to 24x. I pretty much only use it at 18x because that's where the reticle is trued. I will say that it tracks very well. I wish it were FFP/MIL.

I feel like I have a better starting point in mind for the scope somehow. 4-20ish or 5-25ish, FFP, tree reticle. Just depending on how much I wanna spend, I was considering the Strike Eagle 5-25 or Viper 5-25, both EBR-7C in mils or the Leupold Mk4HD 6-24 PR2 in mils. But I still gotta do some reading cause I’m sure there’s better options out there.
Over a Strike Eagle, or Viper PST2, I would go for the brand new Viper HD... Philippines built w/ Japanese glass. And they drastically improved the turrets over previous generations.

If you want to spend more than that, I can recommend others, too. Just tell us your preferred budget, and how flexible it is.

Last edited:
Over a Strike Eagle, or Viper PST2, I would go for the brand new Viper HD... Philippines built w/ Japanese glass. And they drastically improved the turrets over previous generations.

If you want to spend more than that, I can recommend others, too. Just tell us your preferred budget, and how flexible it is.
I’m gonna try to stick to a $1000 budget, unless I fall into some more OT. I can go up a few hundred if it’s worth it.

Last edited:
So I figure i might as well type a coherent post about it. Just from messing around with the rifle, it’ll end up in a chassis, not cause there’s anything really wrong with the stock, I’d just like a little shorter LOP and longer forend. The Harris 6-9 I had laying around that I threw on will definitely need to be replaced with something like Harris S-LM 9-13.

As far as a scope, I’d like to stay around $1000-$1200, but I can push that to about $1500 or so. Things I’m looking for: FFP, mils reticle and turrets, capped windage, Christmas tree style reticle, I think I wanna be around 5-25x, but is it worth the money going that high on mag over a 3-18?

As far as a scope, I’d like to stay around $1000-$1200, but I can push that to about $1500 or so. Things I’m looking for: FFP, mils reticle and turrets, capped windage, Christmas tree style reticle, I think I wanna be around 5-25x, but is it worth the money going that high on mag over a 3-18?
Well... You just described this scope perfectly... And it has pretty damn amazing glass for it's price...

Well... You just described this scope perfectly... And it has pretty damn amazing glass for it's price...

Now just for argument’s sake, is it worth jumping to the 5.5-30 for 6.5 Creedmoor? I’m looking for places within a few hours to hopefully get out to 900-1000 yards, maybe take a class.

And how does it compare to the Vortex you linked above?

Now just for argument’s sake, is it worth jumping to the 5.5-30 for 6.5 Creedmoor? I’m looking for places within a few hours to hopefully get out to 900-1000 yards, maybe take a class.

And how does it compare to the Vortex you linked above?
Personally, I would say yes... Because I do own a couple of 3.5-18x scopes (not the XTR-III), but I DO have an XTR-III 5.5-30x56 SCR2 (same scope I posted a link to above). It is a hell of a lot of scope for the money. I've had it on 2 different rifle. I had it on my 16" 6mm ARC bolt gun, and then when I put my thermal on it, I put it on my new Solus (temporarily) until I can figure out what optic I want to run on it full-time.

As to the Vortex comparison, I have not looked through one yet. I bought one several weeks ago through EuroOptic on the premise that it SHOULD only be a few days before it shipped, and It still shows out of stock, but can be backordered... So, I wish I could give you a direct comparison, but unfortunately at this moment, I cannot. BUT, from what I have read here on the forum by people who have, it is similar to (or better than) some Vortex scopes that I have owned and looked through. The pro's who have reviewed them say it's better than the PST-II, which means it has pretty decent glass.

IMG_8875.jpeg
IMG_7226.jpeg

Last edited:
Personally, I would say yes... Because I do own a couple of 3.5-18x scopes (not the XTR-III), but I DO have an XTR-III 5.5-30x56 SCR2 (same scope I posted a link to above). It is a hell of a lot of scope for the money. I've had it on 2 different rifle. I had it on my 16" 6mm ARC bolt gun, and then when I put my thermal on it, I put it on my new Solus (temporarily) until I can figure out what optic I want to run on it full-time.

As to the Vortex comparison, I have not looked through one yet. I bought one several weeks ago through EuroOptic on the premise that it SHOULD only be a few days before it shipped, and It still shows out of stock, but can be backordered... So, I wish I could give you a direct comparison, but unfortunately at this moment, I cannot. BUT, from what I have read here on the forum by people who have, it is similar to (or better than) some Vortex scopes that I have owned and looked through. The pro's who have reviewed them say it's better than the PST-II, which means it has pretty decent glass.

View attachment 8430492View attachment 8430472
So then I’m definitely going 5-25x56. I found a couple videos on YouTube reviewing the Burris and they all held it in high regard. I’ll try and find similar videos for the vortex. Thank you

View attachment 8430492View attachment 8430472
How do you like the Burris at lower magnification? A few people said that it was a bit thin and hard to see see. I haven’t seen that mentioned for the Vortex.

How do you like the Burris at lower magnification? A few people said that it was a bit thin and hard to see see. I haven’t seen that mentioned for the Vortex.
Honesetly, I don't ever use scopes on base magnification... The only time I use them on low mag is when glassing, so I don't even look at the reticle. Other than that, I zoom in on target when I'm taking a shot or ranging for PID of the mark.

Honesetly, I don't ever use scopes on base magnification... The only time I use them on low mag is when glassing, so I don't even look at the reticle. Other than that, I zoom in on target when I'm taking a shot or ranging for PID of the mark.
I probably could’ve worded it better. Not necessarily base mag, but in the 10-15x range. I can’t imagine you run up to 25x for every shot.

I probably could’ve worded it better. Not necessarily base mag, but in the 10-15x range. I can’t imagine you run up to 25x for every shot.
When shooting for groups and at the range, typically, yes, I max out the mag. Aim small, miss small.

Hunting, that's a different story. I adjust it for comfortable image of the animal to be able to positively place my shot 100% exactly where I want it.

As for 10-15x mag, luckily, I just got home, and have the XTR-3 5.5-30x56 SCR2 sitting next to my bench... Jut looked at a blank tan wall inside the room that is about 5 yards away, and on 10x it's very easy to see the dots on the tree, and I have an astigmatism that's slowly degrading my right eyesight, and on 16x (there's no 15x mark) it's extremely useable. One of the cool things about the Burris XTR-3i scopes, is that it has a very large FOV, unlike some of the cheaper scopes with very limited (constricted) internal FOV (large black ring around the image, compared to edge-to-edge image), so you can actually look through it with both eyes open.

When shooting for groups and at the range, typically, yes, I max out the mag. Aim small, miss small.

Hunting, that's a different story. I adjust it for comfortable image of the animal to be able to positively place my shot 100% exactly where I want it.

As for 10-15x mag, luckily, I just got home, and have the XTR-3 5.5-30x56 SCR2 sitting next to my bench... Jut looked at a blank tan wall inside the room that is about 5 yards away, and on 10x it's very easy to see the dots on the tree, and I have an astigmatism that's slowly degrading my right eyesight, and on 16x (there's no 15x mark) it's extremely useable. One of the cool things about the Burris XTR-3i scopes, is that it has a very large FOV, unlike some of the cheaper scopes with very limited (constricted) internal FOV (large black ring around the image, compared to edge-to-edge image), so you can actually look through it with both eyes open.
Awesome, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

Ended up backordering the Viper HD. The rep from EuroOptic said they should be shipping from vortex this week. And then EO had a 12% code for Vortex. Under $950 shipped, hard to beat that.

Reactions: RMS65
First as far as Tikka stocks go. They're completely serviceable for recreational shooters like me. I have had a 223 Varmint for some time and for thousands of rounds it shoots great out to 500 yards. I just recently got 6.5 CM Varmint and it shoots 500 yards no problem. My 500 yard plate is 8". I just added a 10" at 625 two days ago and looking forward to trying it asap. Both guns are in the factory stocks. The 223, I ground out the pressure points just forward the action for zero improvement. The 6.5, I haven't touched. I'm fine using a factory stock with a simple harris bipod or even more simpler, resting on a towel thrown over the bottom rail.

Obviously I'm a casual shooter and know I have a lot to learn. Still it's my opinion that unless you're shooting competition where the margins between winning and losing are crazy tight, that theres more performance to be gained in proper training than expensive add ons.

I'd recommend taking a course and learn how to shoot. Then figure out how seriously you want to take this. If you decide to do it recreationally or your budget is tight, start with a CTR and skip the Begara. A nice stock and a crap action is a throw away gun. Between the 20 & 24" barrel, go with the 24. The extra velocity will help at 1000 yards and the extra weight will help stabilize the barrel.

Spending money on nice things like upgrades is fun if you have the money but it isn’t always necessary. My wife shoots box ammo through her bone stock $349 Howa 1500 in 223. She does better than most of the guys at the range with full chassis guns. Nice equipment is nice to have but it wont replace talent. Don't let all the Gucci gun guys guilt you into buying more shit than you need.
Wonderful property

Reactions: RMS65