• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14R and International Barrels

TNSleeper99

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2019
Looking for feedback and “how to” advice on swapping my factory Bergara Barrel for an aftermarket heavier contour barrel from International Barrels. As far as I can tell, this is the only option other than ordering a blank and having a gunsmith chamber it. Has anyone done this swap? Any idea what action wrench to use for a b14r rimfire action? I’m used to doing shouldered and barrel nut barrel swaps on centerfire actions.

I would sell the Bergara & buy a RimX action. Then take your barrel money for the IBI and buy a barrel for the RimX. Then you can do all the swapping you want.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
Sounds like a good idea, but the difference between the two plans is approx $800-1000….I know nothing in this game is cheap, but not the direction I want to go at this point.

I'd just pick up a new chassis that you eventually want to use, and put a bunch of weights on it if you want something heavier. Or if you want to use your B14R stock, then just get a weighted arca rail.

Reactions: Defender32
I would sell the Bergara & buy a RimX action. Then take your barrel money for the IBI and buy a barrel for the RimX. Then you can do all the swapping you want.
That’s what I was going to do, but now I’ve got both and well it’s worth it the price of admission.

I saw the price of having IBI do a shouldered barrel if I sent my action in when I emailed them and was shocked, for not a ton more I could get a RimX action. I contacted keystone accuracy, had them spin me up a green mountain barrel and now I’ve got an absolute hammer that has off the shelf prefit compatibility.

Last edited:
Its worth the wait to build it once and shoot what you have for now. Like Littlepod said. Buy the chassis you would want for the new rifle. XLR Envy Pro is spectacular. I now have 2 of them. Then start saving for better build that you can do what you want with. Let the Bergara be what it is. You can tweak it and make it shoot lots better. Just do it in small amounts. EC Tuner would be first along with Arca rail if you don't have one.

Its worth the wait to build it once and shoot what you have for now. Like Littlepod said. Buy the chassis you would want for the new rifle. XLR Envy Pro is spectacular. I now have 2 of them. Then start saving for better build that you can do what you want with. Let the Bergara be what it is. You can tweak it and make it shoot lots better. Just do it in small amounts. EC Tuner would be first along with Arca rail if you don't have one.
I have a few chassis already. Currently my Bergara Is in a MPA BA comp chassis and my main centerfire rifle is in an MDT ACC chassis. I have or have had some others but honestly they all have pros and cons.

I have both the Bergara and the Rimx currently and they both get shot a LOT! About 4-6 matches worth apiece each month (two guys shooting one rifle sometimes) The Bergara with factory steel barrel and a tuner holds its own against the rimx accuracy wise but beyond 200yds the rimx with the faster twist barrel wins. The Bergara with a proper twist barrel would probably not lose out that last little bit. So, if you are happy with the bergara action for the foreseeable future go ahead and put a barrel on it. Its not like it will burn up ever. Me personally, the Rimx action feels like what you paid for, the bergara is clunky, fouls up much faster, and is a lot pickier on chassis/magazine interface amoung a few other small gripes. The rimx just flat does what I expect it to in every scenario where the bergara chokes occasionally. But never bad enough that I think I'm going to sell it. It is a great rifle that I let lots of shooters use because I know its going to perform 99.5% of the time. So if a Rimx isn't in the budget, you have already tried a tuner, and the only thing you aren't happy about is the barrel, then I vote put a barrel on. I would speed up your twist rate and have a long conversation with them about chambers to make sure you get what you want the first time. I'm not sure if those can be set back like a rimx to change your chamber.

Reactions: King_beardsly
Defender32.... of the universe,

Can make a comparison between the Rim X and the Vudoo and the B14R?

My v22 has lot tested ammo and my stock B14R shoots on par with the V22s ammo. That's a beautiful thing.

Like most people, I don't need another .22 but I want one. I know people have been having problems with their V22
but I did not. . Mine went in an MDT LSS gen 2 chassis and it was a perfect marriage.
No magazine issue, FTF, FTE.... no problems at all. I put my B14R into the same chassis using the same trigger Tech Diamond
trigger and it worked just as well. As shown in the photo they were just over 18 pounds.

It had four weight sets and the rear stock weight. The LOP was 13.5". The rear stock comes in two lengths. The short one was
$100.00 more for some reason.
Had I accidently bought the cheaper one, like I nearly did, I would have lost all of the butt stocks adjustment because it's
an inch longer.

I had altered the B14R trigger with a #6-32 long nose spring plunger and that got it down to 11 ounces and added an adjustable sear stop.
I went too far with an #8-32 and that drove me into a Jewell HVR trigger. I really like it but I cant say it is much better than my TTD.
I want a Bix-n-Andy trigger with a free rail. Image #3. I have the SenSive blade already so I have to buy the trigger. LoL

I would be inclined to spend more money then you initially planned to. Nicer stuff is just better all the way around.
Fit, finish and function. It's also easier to sell later. If you buy cheap, you will likely be mad at yourself later on.
I always am.

Attachments

• VUDOO V22.JPG
    VUDOO V22.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200926_115413.jpg
    20200926_115413.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 175
  • BnA WITH FREE RAIL AND SENSIVE TRIGGER BLADE.png
    BnA WITH FREE RAIL AND SENSIVE TRIGGER BLADE.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 154
It’s too late for me Gents! I now have a 1.25” straight taper Krieger barrel blank and a set of match reamers/pilots/bushings/gauges that will be headed to my gunsmith soon. I’m thinking 22” finished length and going to run it in my ACC chassis to mimic my centerfire rifle setup. Call me crazy if you want. It should be an interesting project!

Do yourself a favor and look really hard at the length of barrel if you are running a tuner. I had to install my ATS tuner backwards on my 22" barrel to get it to fit in the ACC chassis.

Reactions: TNSleeper99
Do yourself a favor and look really hard at the length of barrel if you are running a tuner. I had to install my ATS tuner backwards on my 22" barrel to get it to fit in the ACC chassis.
Thanks a lot for your reply. It’s a 25” blank, so we could cut an inch off each side to be safe and land in 23” zone. Im a little worried about how the action will hold up to the weight of the straight taper barrel…..I guess there’s only one way to find out!

Thanks a lot for your reply. It’s a 25” blank, so we could cut an inch off each side to be safe and land in 23” zone. Im a little worried about how the action will hold up to the weight of the straight taper barrel…..I guess there’s only one way to find out!
From what i understand there isnt much of a difference between the b14 and b14r actions. Id be really surprised if you had an issue.

I made a thread on this a while back, with bergara thread size / dimensions. Search and you will find it.

Hello W4,
Looks nice !! Did you have to enlarge the stock barrel channel ?? I would like a 1.25" straight but don't want to buy a chassis at this point.

Hello W4,
Looks nice !! Did you have to enlarge the stock barrel channel ?? I would like a 1.25" straight but don't want to buy a chassis at this point.
I used factory stock and yes the channel was widened a bit, but still free floats