• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14R stock/chassis choice

1clicktrick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
skiatook
I recently purchased a bergara b14r barreled action and I am having feeding problems. I have a Woox Exactus stock and the mag sits low. It has a hawkins M5 bottom metal. Hawkins is going to release a longer mag catch soon. Hawkins have been very helpful in my issue and they seem to have great customer support. What stocks are you guys using with no issues and if you did have issues what did u do to resolve them? Did u have support from the manufactures of the stocks in helping you?

Reactions: AandJSporting
I bought two Bergara B14rs and I bought two MPA Comp chassis. My mags sat low in one and the other still had some play. I bought the adjustable mag catch and it fixed both issues. Some people seem to be having issues with this Chassis but so far so good. I have fed thousands of rounds through both making sure they feed properly and so far no hiccups. Just waiting on my scopes from liberty optics so I can fire them. Hope they shoot as good as they look. Good luck

Reactions: Sgtdrake
I bought two Bergara B14rs and I bought two MPA Comp chassis. My mags sat low in one and the other still had some play. I bought the adjustable mag catch and it fixed both issues. Some people seem to be having issues with this Chassis but so far so good. I have fed thousands of rounds through both making sure they feed properly and so far no hiccups. Just waiting on my scopes from liberty optics so I can fire them. Hope they shoot as good as they look. Good luck
Glad to hear! Most problems I hear are solved with an adjustable mag catch. I received a longer mag catch yesterday, it is roughly .050" longer. Figured I will try it and if to long file it down to fit. This is for a hawkins M5 bottom metal. I spoke to hawkins, they are aware of this and super great customer service, Very easy to deal with. Sounds like to me its a "begara" issue but we can compensate the difference with longer mag catches. Thank you for the reply. I enjoy hearing what everyone is using. Im still deciding what is best. I plan on doing NRL22.

Glad to hear! Most problems I hear are solved with an adjustable mag catch. I received a longer mag catch yesterday, it is roughly .050" longer. Figured I will try it and if to long file it down to fit. This is for a hawkins M5 bottom metal. I spoke to hawkins, they are aware of this and super great customer service, Very easy to deal with. Sounds like to me its a "begara" issue but we can compensate the difference with longer mag catches. Thank you for the reply. I enjoy hearing what everyone is using. Im still deciding what is best. I plan on doing NRL22.

I tend to agree that’s it’s a Bergara issue since it’s so common. Haven’t heard of this issue in their own chassis. The way the direct feeding is done there is zero room for error. Otherwise the bullet scrapes or you have a failure to feed. When adjusting the mag catch, I had to play w it for a while to get it just right. Best of luck to you and let us know how it all works out.

Without shooting them? You must have a really “loose” chamber 😂
No. Lol. I just put them in the mag and kept cycling through them inspecting the bullets for scrapes dings etc. I knew when I typed that it was going to sound off. I was just checking feeding issues. :)

I put mine in a grayboe ridgeback, 3 different mags none would feed past 6 rounds, i had to put velcro tape on the mag, it feeds but it takes hercules to get the mags in and out.

I tend to agree that’s it’s a Bergara issue since it’s so common. Haven’t heard of this issue in their own chassis. The way the direct feeding is done there is zero room for error. Otherwise the bullet scrapes or you have a failure to feed. When adjusting the mag catch, I had to play w it for a while to get it just right. Best of luck to you and let us know how it all works out.
I actually called Bergara and asked to purchase their bottom metal. They told me it wouldnt fit, I thought that was strange that they said that. They are R700 footprint, so I figured would fit.

I have had mine it 2 different KRG Bravos. The first had probably 2500 rounds through it. No feeding issues. I do have an extraction issues on cheaper bulk ammo. Don't seem to have any issues on the more expensive match grade ammo.

Only have about 100 rounds through the second bravo. Same extractor issues bit no feeding issues.

I actually called Bergara and asked to purchase their bottom metal. They told me it wouldnt fit, I thought that was strange that they said that. They are R700 footprint, so I figured would fit.

I'm pretty sure I have the factory bottom metal that came with me barreled action if you're interested in giving it a try.

I'm pretty sure I have the factory bottom metal that came with me barreled action if you're interested in giving it a try.
My barreled action did not come with a bottom metal. I have read on here that some have and some have not came with bottom metals. If you go to brownells site in the pic it shows a bottom metal in the pic. I could not find on their site that states it does not. I may take you up on that bottom metal. I will pm you.

It's not so much a Bergara issue as it is a rimfire-rifle-in-an-AICS-stock/chassis issue. It happens with all the rimfire/700 platforms. You're right, there's virtually no room for error and when you stack up the variances in the actions and the stock/chassis/mag catch sometimes things don't work.

If you're dropping a 700 footprint into an aftermarket stock or chassis, be prepared to have to work on the mag latch/mag interface for optimal function, regardless of manufacturer.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I’ve got on in a manners PRS1 and it seems to run good but I don’t have nearly the rounds through it to fully vet it for competition use.
0BD90B97-6099-4460-92E0-0533C643F441.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got on in a manners PRS1 and it seems to run good but I don’t have nearly the rounds through it to fully vet it for competition use.
The Manners Mini Chassis are supposed to be good to go most of the time. That said, my Vudoo WOULD NOT work in one I have (tried it out of desperation after it wouldn’t feed in the stock I chose for it originally).

The Manners Mini Chassis are supposed to be good to go most of the time. That said, my Vudoo WOULD NOT work in one I have (tried it out of desperation after it wouldn’t feed in the stock I chose for it originally).
I don’t have the mini chassis in the current stock, it’s just bedded with Hawkins bottom metal but the one that is in production will be set up with one.

Reactions: JaoeyP
I took the rifle out today to get zeroed and there wasn't really any drama, all the rounds fed smoothly and accuracy was good. I had one bad group because I was having trouble feeling my fingers but the 30 round average was .475" with SK Long Range. The last shot center punched the pastie target so I figured it was good enough. The place was surprisingly busy so I didn't get a chance to shoot at 200 and 300 so I binned it for the day.

20201227_165132.jpg

I took the rifle out today to get zeroed and there wasn't really any drama, all the rounds fed smoothly and accuracy was good. I had one bad group because I was having trouble feeling my fingers but the 30 round average was .475" with SK Long Range. The last shot center punched the pastie target so I figured it was good enough. The place was surprisingly busy so I didn't get a chance to shoot at 200 and 300 so I binned it for the day.

View attachment 7512946
Thats some good shooting! Glad everything is working out for you.

Im really leaning towards that Bravo. What bolt knob is that?
Looks like the bolt hand and knob from anarchy outdoors

Reactions: 1clicktrick
What he said, Anarchy Outdoors. Made a big improvement to the feel of running the bolt. I honestly hated the factory straight handle.

What he said, Anarchy Outdoors. Made a big improvement to the feel of running the bolt. I honestly hated the factory straight handle.
Yea I looked it up! I always thought if my bolt handle was swept back a little it would be perfect. Looks like this will do it!! Thank you

I don't have the B14R but got a KRG W-3 that I'm thinking about using for that rifle.

Anyone have any experience with the W-3 and the B14R? How did it work?

Can you give an update if this ever worked out? I was looking at the Woox exactus for my B14R.

Anybody by any chance try the longer mag catch from KRG? I tried my B14r in mine but it was scraping the bullet. The mag was not riding high enough. Had to end up putting it back in factory chassis.

With the B14R and KRG Bravo, I pushed the trigger guard forward more to take out the slack of the Bergara magazine and has performed OK. I still have issues with the rounds nose diving about 10% of the time. I have the extended KRG mag catch standing by for science but the trigger guard trick has worked enough to not bother tweaking anything. My mags don't drop freely though.

Krg bravo here. It's been perfect.

I did put the forend and trigger guard in with a mag inserted.

My buddy dropped one in an mpa the other night and it was sitting too low. Surprisingly, his 260 in the same chassis doesn't feed either.

I can push the mag up from the bottom and it feeds fine. Might try the extended mag release.

If i push up on mine it feeds perfect in a magpul pro 700. I put 4 pieces of electrical tape on the front side to keep it snug in the mag well. Seems to be fine now but i havent tried it in a match yet.

I took my B14R back out on Sunday after I'd taken the action out of the chassis. I'd tried a Timney 510 on it but I got some irregular light strikes so I put the stock trigger back in for reliability.

20210413_093414.jpg

These were shot with SK Long Range at 50 yds. I think the 12:00 impacts are all me and my rear bag, I know I could probably do better. Otherwise I'm happy with the combo.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I can push the mag up from the bottom and it feeds fine. Might try the extended mag release.
I purchased the extended mag release and installed, removed, filed about 7 times and got it perfect. Like you said pushbit up and its fine. Mine is 100% now.

I put my B14 R into a KRG Bravo a few months back and ordered the extended mag catch at the same time, figured save on shipping later. I read enough to think it was smart to get one?

It's still sitting on my desk in front of my computer screen right now, I haven't seen a need to put it in, yet that is. I think since I changed to the KRG stock, I've had two instances of a round not feeding during a match, never when shooting practice. That could have been for a few reasons, it just isn't consistent enough to worry about yet.

For reference, I shot the gun in matches for about a year before I bought the KRG. The Bergara factory stock was flawless, not one instance of failure to feed.