• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara bmr vs Christiansen ranger

steve101610

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
I’m looking to purchase a bolt action 22lr to get into some of my local rimfire matches and for some hunting. One of my local shops has both the Bergara and Christiansen on the shelf. They both seem like really well built rifles and I really Like how lightweight they are. Looking for some advice on which would be the better rifle. I’m open to other suggestions also in the $500-800 range.

I was looking into this same thing, but I want 17hmr for squirrels because it doesn't have the tendency to ricochet like 22lr where I shoot. So, I'm going with the BMR.

Every post I see about the CA Ranger usually includes multiple people talking about how the rifle had to be returned for service for extraction issues. I've held one...there is such a thing as "too" light. I felt like I was going to break the bolt handle if I worked it too hard. I like that it takes 10/22 mags, but other than that I was unimpressed.

I like my BMR. It is light, but not overly so. I really like the magazines. Very easy to load and built solid. Did the cheap trigger mod and now I have a 15oz trigger that cost about $10. Not as accurate as my B14R, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Minute of squirrel is good enough for me.

My club has NRL22 and F-class small bore competition I want to compete in. I went with the CZ457 AT-ONE 16.5" barrel after watching/reading several reviews, got it for a good deal during a pre-black Friday special and was within my budget.

My two cents.

1st I’ve only handled the CA ranger.
But after reading the reports on it, I would pass for now (and they are local to me).

The bergara is nice, there is a thread on them.

If it were me, I would opt tikka T1x or cz457. I have both and they are both great shooters as well as tons of aftermarket support. They aren’t ammo picky and I can pull the barrel and replace them if needed to make a lightweight rig.

I had high hopes for the ranger but the ones I’ve handled were tougher than a Friday afternoon savage.

Every post I see about the CA Ranger usually includes multiple people talking about how the rifle had to be returned for service for extraction issues. I've held one...there is such a thing as "too" light. I felt like I was going to break the bolt handle if I worked it too hard. I like that it takes 10/22 mags, but other than that I was unimpressed.

I like my BMR. It is light, but not overly so. I really like the magazines. Very easy to load and built solid. Did the cheap trigger mod and now I have a 15oz trigger that cost about $10. Not as accurate as my B14R, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Minute of squirrel is good enough for me.
What trigger mod would that be?

What trigger mod would that be?

The first run had issues, mine is a newer production, and It's had zero issues. And it's damn-accurate, too.

I picked up my Bergara BMR, yesterday. I looked at the display model at Sportsman's, before asking about the one I ordered. I was really disappointed at rifle they had on the shelf. The action was really rough and gritty feeling. The barrel was noticeably off-center in the barrel channel, which is probably not functionally important, but it bugged me. After waiting a long time to see a BMR in the flesh, I was disappointed in what I saw.

I was going to walk away from the one I ordered, but the guy at the counter asked if I wanted to see it anyway. I'm glad I did! The BMR I took home with me with was much nicer than their display model. The action was a lot smoother, and the barrel was centered up the way it should be. After getting it home, I dry-fired it a few times with a snap cap, and the trigger was pretty nice. It broke about 2.5 pounds, right out of the box. I haven't tried tinkering with it. I am much more impressed with this particular rifle, compared to the one on the shelf.

I mounted a Leupold 2-7x I had sitting around, and it makes for a nice looking rifle. I'm anxious to shoot it, when the range opens up again, next month.

This is a great upgrade to the rifle! .33 cents and I now have an 8oz trigger!

Reactions: AZ Dan
I have wanted to like the Christensen Arms rifle due to its light weight. As a hunter, it is probably OK since you would not be running thru thousands of rds of ammo with it. As a match rifle, all I can say is that our match Dir bought one to compete in ARA factory matches and kept it for all of 2weeks before selling it. His assessment (this is a former National Champ) is that it is not accurate enough with any ammo tested to be remotely competitive. BTW he also tried a Bergara BMR for a few days and sold it too. IMO the Bergara is a better rifle overall but the CZ457 or Tikka T1X are both better. I don't like the Tikka's plastic stock but if your type of desired competition allows stock swaps then you can put it into a nice stock. Factor that into the price and once again the various CZ's start to look like a bargain. The Bergara B14R is much better than the BMR but also costs much more and is not allowed in ARA factory matches or NRL22 Std rifle class. It must shoot in unlimited class and that puts it into tough competition with VuDoo, Anschutz and custom rigs.