• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara BR14 R Barreled Action

Styger

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2018
IMG_20220108_190941.jpg

IMG_20220108_190921.jpg

Picked up a steel Barreled Action from GB. Installed in a Grayboe renegade stock I had with Grayboe's M5 BM. Trigger out of the box is great very clean and crisp. Very surprised based on reviews but maybe I lucked out. Mounted an Arken SH4 6-24 GEN2 with their medium mounts on an EGW 30 MOA rail. Looked a little high but it sighted in at 50 yards .5 mil of being bottomed out so I should have the whole range available for elevation to range. Range update to come.

Not sure how to break in a 22 but I cleaned it thoroughly. Decided to shoot a bunch of CCI standard velocity before I shoot all of the good stuff to see what it prefers. May shoot a full brick? The gun won't load properly unless I keep pressure on the mag from to keep the round pointing up. Slight pressure and it loads flawlessly. No pressure and the round hits low and shears the lead severely.
IMG_20220108_190955.jpg

The top left target had 4 10 round groups shot at slightly different aiming points. I was not expecting accuracy like this from ammo I've had laying around for more than 10 years. If I had gone Rim X or Vudoo I would have been happy. With the B14 at $650 I'm stoked. There were multiple 10 round 50 yard groups under .5 inch. After watching a ton of YT videos of precision shooters with 22lr I'm happy with these results. Shot off of a small front bag only. Hopefully it shoots some of the expensive stuff even better.

Search both here and rimfire central on methods to fix your ammo feeding issue. It's common issue with all of the rimfires using AICS-style magazines. It could be as easy as easy as re-install/torque your action and bottom metal with the magazine installed or as involved as tuning the magazine itself. I had a similar issue with my B14r and Grayboe bottom metal. Any pressure on the front of the magazine (like a barricade or front bag) and I would get a hung round.

Reactions: Cudruln
I glued a thin strip of plastic to the front of the magazine at the top to get rid of the tiny slop that causes this. Works perfectly now.
I think that would work for sure. Thanks for the engineering. It just needs tilted back a little.

I ran into the same issues with feeding. Going to try the rimx magazine with its adjustable clip. And I’m also going to try the Hawkins bottom metal with its extended mag clip. I bought both and I’ll try them this weekend when they arrive.I’m also very happy with the group I shot out of my Bergara which I bedded into a McMillan A4

The L3i magazine for the Bergara has an adjustable latch so you can raise or lower the height to make sure they feed. Plus it has 14 rounds so that's always awesome

Reactions: Cudruln
The L3i magazine for the Bergara has an adjustable latch so you can raise or lower the height to make sure they feed. Plus it has 14 rounds so that's always awesome
Thanks. I ordered one. Didn't see that it was adjustable but that's a bonus.

Awesome looking design. They said it should ship by the end of the Month. Thanks for the photo. They don’t even show that on their website.

So I’m running the Hawkins bottom metal with the extended catch in a PRS1, I actually had to file the catch point on the mag ever so slightly since they would barely lock in but now that it’s sorted it runs like a champ.

Reactions: STR
I ran into the same issues with feeding. Going to try the rimx magazine with its adjustable clip. And I’m also going to try the Hawkins bottom metal with its extended mag clip. I bought both and I’ll try them this weekend when they arrive.I’m also very happy with the group I shot out of my Bergara which I bedded into a McMillan A4
I went with the Hawkins m5 version with the extended latch on my McMillan A5. Holds the Bergara mag perfect. I’d like to see a pic of yours in the A4. Was gonna do the same but decided not to cause of the mtu contour channel. I put it in the A5 instead. Looks good in that Greyboe Styger. I have the EP-4 on mine 👍

I also ended up with the Hawkins bottom metal and extended mag clip. It works perfect in my A4. The RimX mag is no good in this action. It will only work in the RimX action. Now I’m going to have to build a RimX rifle around this extremely nice RimX magazine, lol! BTW I had the A4 in my storage for over 10 years, but I would have liked an A5 better.

Attachments

• AB316EC8-8583-4AF7-9F40-92DF47ADCFE1.jpeg
    AB316EC8-8583-4AF7-9F40-92DF47ADCFE1.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: King_beardsly
I didn't get mine yet. Their last email said it should ship the end of January. I will send another request for an update and post their response.

Shipping delays has pushed the projected ship date back slightly. We are working with our supplier to get these out quickly, we should have them in our hands and shipping very shortly. I just spoke with our supplier and they assured me they would be shiping out ASAP.

-Leon of L3I.
Thanks for the response. I sent an email as stated above. Appreciate the update.

Reactions: Mechdesigner
Shipping delays has pushed the projected ship date back slightly. We are working with our supplier to get these out quickly, we should have them in our hands and shipping very shortly. I just spoke with our supplier and they assured me they would be shiping out ASAP.

-Leon of L3I
Thanks for the response, as I have also sent a couple of emails. Really hoping these work as planned. My chasis is not playing that well with the factory mags.

-Leon of L3I
Did I hear somewhere you guys are working with MK Machining on these?

Reactions: Mechdesigner
Do the rimx mags work with the b14r standard stock? I assumed yes since they are an aics pattern but wanted to see if anyone on here had experience or any tweaks to make it better

I thought I read somewhere that the rimx mags only work with the rimx actions. Someone tried with a vudoo and a b14r and they didn't work.

I have my Bergara in a Bravo chassis. I had to tighten up the front stock portion and adjust the trigger guard but now it feeds great.

I also got the email about the 14 round mags and am looking forward to see how they do.

I know they are apples to oranges but how does the B14R stack up against the RimX? I’m in the process of building a RimX to complement the b14r I’ve been running.
Accuracy wise? The RimX is more accurate but not demonstrably so. My RimX is more geared towards a competition setup as I like to try and practice positional stuff and shoot long range. Functionally they aren’t that different The RimX mags are just outstanding and just work perfectly every time. They are great to load and are so well constructed. They are literally just on another level from other 22lr mags. The bolt on my Bergara has a hard close and lift even with the factory trigger and hasn’t smoothed out even after thousands of rounds. I just think it has to be a function of its design. The bolt throw also isn’t as smooth. The RimX bolt throw is fast and smooth. Also, the bolt throw and lift is much smoother and easier than the Bergara. I like the Bergara and for the money it’s a great rifle but it’s not a Vudoo or RimX. I also love how easy it is to take apart the bolt to clean on the RimX. The RimX setting up in the MPA chassis was literally plug and play. No adjustment necessary transitioning from the Bergara but that may be because I already had the mag catxh adjusted to the correct height. It did take some fiddling to find that sweet spot for the Bergara but once found. It fed reliably. The Bergara now sits in an Element 4.0 chassis that is both light and comfortable. I take it with me in the woods and just like to shoot with it. I can hit acorns with it. Nice setup but I did have to put tape on the back of the magazine to prevent the front of the magazine from dipping. Mag height wasn’t a problem with the Element 4.0.

Accuracy wise? The RimX is more accurate but not demonstrably so. My RimX is more geared towards a competition setup as I like to try and practice positional stuff and shoot long range. Functionally they aren’t that different The RimX mags are just outstanding and just work perfectly every time. They are great to load and are so well constructed. They are literally just on another level from other 22lr mags. The bolt on my Bergara has a hard close and lift even with the factory trigger and hasn’t smoothed out even after thousands of rounds. I just think it has to be a function of its design. The bolt throw also isn’t as smooth. The RimX bolt throw is fast and smooth. Also, the bolt throw and lift is much smoother and easier than the Bergara. I like the Bergara and for the money it’s a great rifle but it’s not a Vudoo or RimX. I also love how easy it is to take apart the bolt to clean on the RimX. The RimX setting up in the MPA chassis was literally plug and play. No adjustment necessary transitioning from the Bergara but that may be because I already had the mag catxh adjusted to the correct height. It did take some fiddling to find that sweet spot for the Bergara but once found. It fed reliably. The Bergara now sits in an Element 4.0 chassis that is both light and comfortable. I take it with me in the woods and just like to shoot with it. I can hit acorns with it. Nice setup but I did have to put tape on the back of the magazine to prevent the front of the magazine from dipping. Mag height wasn’t a problem with the Element 4.0.
Very honest and refreshing review, too often we get biased info from parties with vested interests on FB. The bolt never smooths out on a B14r to any significant amount, it is what it is and the B14r does not feed better than a properly built RimX.

I’ve got my b14r sitting in a manners PRS1 to match my centerfire, so I had the fun experience of getting the mags to sit/feed correctly, but now it’s feeding like a champ. It’s definitely nice to see someone that’s running both platforms and isn’t biased to the higher end option.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
Very honest and refreshing review, too often we get biased info from parties with vested interests on FB. The bolt never smooths out on a B14r to any significant amount, it is what it is and the B14r does not feed better than a properly built RimX.
My RimX feeds 100 percent and I personally think a properly built RimX is about as good as it gets. It’s worth every penny IMO. The RimX is the least finicky rifle

I have both a Vudoo and a Bergara. My shooting partner has a RimX. The Bergara is not quite in the class of the Vudoo or RimX but a Bergara barreled action is one third the price. For a factory built rifle, the Bergara is outstanding. Vudoo and RimX are custom rifles and not a fair comparison.

My Bergara took some fiddling to get the mags to work right but that was because I am the one that built it. I am sure if you buy a complete Vudoo or RimX, someone has gone over that rifle and adjusted it to feed well.

I would have no problem recommending a Bergara to anyone. It’s just a great factory rifle. Expecting it to act like a custom rifle that costs three times as much is foolish. No one expects their center fire Bergara to match head to head with a GA Precision

One thing I will tell the OP to consider. I have never shot the Bergara with the carbon barrel so I can’t speak to its accuracy. I do know I like my rifles to balance just in front of the mag well. On my steel barrel Bergara I still had to add some weight to the front of the rifle to get that balance. Since I use a Bravo stock I was able to add their heavy Arca rail and a spigot mount and get the balance where I like it.