• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bergara extractor issues

IH8NJ

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
Hello all. I'm new to Snipers Hide and I have a question. Recently acquired a Bergara B14 BMP chambered in .308. The rifle is a nail driver and I've had no issues except one. The extractor does not always grab the round. Just wondering if there's anyone here who has had similar issues as the manufacturer has not gotten back to me yet.

While waiting on them to get back with you have you actually taken a look at it, mainly the extractor to verify if it is sliding smoothly and not hanging up or gritty and actually has a spring in it ?

You don't even have to call if you don't want to. Fill out the contact us form and they will put it in the mail to you.

While waiting on them to get back with you have you actually taken a look at it, mainly the extractor to verify if it is sliding smoothly and not hanging up or gritty and actually has a spring in it ?

All appears to be operating normally. I'm having the issue with maybe 2 out of every 10-15 rounds, however I have yet to try different ammo. Thanks for your input!

HMR 6.5 Creedmore... always grabs. So far, rifle has been 100% reliable. (300 +- rounds through it)

Having exact same issue but worse. Zero extraction. B14 BMP 6.5. Out of the box, fails to extract. Had it down at Talladega and a number of us inspected, worked action, cleaned, lube, etc... Did not get into the bolt. Yeah, frustrating and bad day for sure. A first for me in terms of a firearm just flat out not functioning. Sent issue to Bergara via contact form and a separate email. Hope for reasonably speedy resolution. The handful of rounds I did shoot were enjoyable for what it's worth! Unhappy camper but this kind of stuff can happen.

Friend of mine missed a match for extractor issues. Wonder what’s so wrong with that design?

It seems to be common enough of an issue. Pops up across many forums. Don't know if it's a design issue, manufacturing issue, supplier/parts issue or simply a systemic quality control/management issue. There is zero chance that this gun was fired and passed any kind of inspection before pack/wrap/ship. Bergara may need to take a leaf out of Nightforce's book and drive quality/inspection into their manufacturing/production processes. Thing is, not only does this begin to create doubt around bergara regardless as to how outstanding some rifles may be and their barrel legacy is. Once it becomes pervasive, it's death by a thousand cuts; consumers begin to lose confidence and are not likely to lean their way as opposed to say a Tikka or RPR or other production rifles around that price point. For me, what I know is this. A lack of quality control/management is NEVER limited to just one part of a system. Any confidence I might have had in the total weapon is now greatly reduced. They need to own this problem. Identify the issue(s). Make the required changes to their processes and then come public with that as well. Confidence and trust are very very hard things to gain back once lost.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just my 2-cents.

Hey guys. I have had the same issue on mine. I have the HMR Pro in 6.5 creed and it failed to eject after every other shot or so. Got the repair kit from bergara and had the same problem. I thought maybe Something is wrong with the extractor itself. so I took the ball bearing and spring out and inserted the ejector down the tracks to see if it’s sliding back and forth. It did not slide in far enough to have it be able to grab the casing. Ejector would bind as it gets closer to the center of the bolt head. So I took a file and filed the tracks enough to get the paint off and ran some oil on there too. I got it down to when the extractor can move(with a push of a pin) through the tracks and out the other side. I didn’t want it move effortlessly through by hand. Want there to be some tension. Put the spring and ball bearing back in with the extractor and now it can move on it’s own. I cycled the gun about 20 times and it ejected every round successfully. Bergara need to watch their qc on them bolt heads better.

Reactions: LoCal247
Hey guys. I have had the same issue on mine. I have the HMR Pro in 6.5 creed and it failed to eject after every other shot or so. Got the repair kit from bergara and had the same problem. I thought maybe Something is wrong with the extractor itself. so I took the ball bearing and spring out and inserted the ejector down the tracks to see if it’s sliding back and forth. It did not slide in far enough to have it be able to grab the casing. Ejector would bind as it gets closer to the center of the bolt head. So I took a file and filed the tracks enough to get the paint off and ran some oil on there too. I got it down to when the extractor can move(with a push of a pin) through the tracks and out the other side. I didn’t want it move effortlessly through by hand. Want there to be some tension. Put the spring and ball bearing back in with the extractor and now it can move on it’s own. I cycled the gun about 20 times and it ejected every round successfully. Bergara need to watch their qc on them bolt heads better.
I’m mixed up here. You keep referencing the ejector and the extractor as if they’re the same thing.

I thought I had the same issue with my new .223 premier barreled action from brownells but it looks like bergara sent me a .473 bolt head instead of a .384
Casing for 223 seats next to ejector and not on it.

Attachments

• IMG_5744.jpeg
    IMG_5744.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5747w.jpg
    IMG_5747w.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5748w.jpg
    IMG_5748w.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 103063451_10112804679840839_3975474316047529442_n.jpg
    103063451_10112804679840839_3975474316047529442_n.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 111
I have a rimfire B-14R action that fails to extract 100% of the time. Even when I single feed it using just the action, removed from stock. I can't blame the stock or magazine if they are not in the picture. If I rotate the bolt partially (lke 30 degrees or so, to the first "click") it extracts fine. However, if I rotate the bolt handle all the way it does not extract at all. The left claw of the extractor feels very firm and the right one feels very weak. I am not sure if this is by design or a defect. It's a brand new action, unfired condition. Not a single round through it yet. I tested it with dummy rounds. The same dummy rounds chamber and extract 100% fine in Savage MK II bolt action and a couple of .22LR semi-auto pistols.

Did you test it with live rounds? You may not actually have a problem.

Did you test it with live rounds? You may not actually have a problem.
I will try to get to the range later this week. I assembled the rifle, and multiple folks pointed out to me that aluminum dummy rounds may simply be too long for the tight match chamber. I'll post the results once I test it at the range.