• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara HMR pro .308 load help

PRCslut

Private
Minuteman
I’m trying to develop a load for my Bergara hmr pro in 308. Barrel is 20” and is made from 416. I’m trying to dial in for 168 grain nosler ABLR. I’m using Varget but I can’t get a better group than 2” @ 100. I am capable of putting holes in holes. I am looking for powder recommendations. I have BL-C (2) at home. But I am looking at CFE 223 and some of the H4### options. Goal is over 2600 fps.

A 20" barrel and >2600 fps is not something that is likely to happen with the 168 gn bullet. At least not without going above SAAMI pressure. Most of the H/IMR 4xxx are not going to make it. Likely CFE 223, BLC-2, and ACCURATE 2460 are probably the most likely to get over that hurdle.

Reactions: PRCslut
Add in that the Nosler ABLR is sometimes difficult to get to shoot consistently (accurate) in some barrels. It is certainly more seating depth sensitive in the two barrels that I've tried it in (but I have had luck in 7mm RM).

The standard response to "what powder in .308" for bullets in the 168 - 175gr range is: Varget, RL-15, IMR-4064, and N140. If you can't get one of those to shoot, you have a bullet or barrel issue.

Reactions: PRCslut
Add in that the Nosler ABLR is sometimes difficult to get to shoot consistently (accurate) in some barrels. It is certainly more seating depth sensitive in the two barrels that I've tried it in (but I have had luck in 7mm RM).

The standard response to "what powder in .308" for bullets in the 168 - 175gr range is: Varget, RL-15, IMR-4064, and N140. If you can't get one of those to shoot, you have a bullet or barrel issue.
You find seating out or at spec better for this bullet

Not sure if you have seen all the below data, but your 168 ABLR isn't listed as often as the more popular ones. Still, you will get a decent idea of how these powders run under other 168 grain bullets from these data.
1713294309628.png

The CFE certainly can generate some speed, and it is very easy to meter, but in general experience it isn't as competitive as an extruded powder like H4895. On the other hand, there is something to be said for a bird in hand since H4895 has been unobtanium for a while now.

I would do a baseline check with some factory FGMM ammo and see if that rig is sick. A borescope will tell us if that barrel or chamber is polluted or defect.

You didn't ask about these, but I would say they are worth a look too.
1713294540460.png

If that rig is unproven, I would go through it with a fine tooth comb. Throwing a group at 2" with Varget and a 168 isn't normal. Good Luck and in for the range reports.

Reactions: straightshooter1
You find seating out or at spec better for this bullet

I'd try .015 - .090 off in .015 increments. Might just find what you're looking for. I have always found that seating depth testing works...BUT, I've never had it take a 2 MOA combination and make it 1/2 MOA.

Reactions: RegionRat