• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Premier HMR Pro 6.5 Creedmoor - #5.5 or #6 barrel?

murph1118

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2022
Florida
I’m a total novice here, so go easy on me. Wanting to get into longer range shooting at the range and deer hunting (FL and GA) and wanting to get my first bolt action rifle that can perform well at both. Since I’ll be hunting with it, I’ll definitely want something “out of the box” and not custom, so I don’t feel so bad scuffing it up in the woods. I’d love to do a custom eventually, but baby steps.

I‘ve take a liking to the Bergara Premier HMR Pro 6.5 creedmoor. I noticed they have it in a “medium-heavy” barrel and a heavy barrel and was hoping to get some info on the difference and pros/cons.

Appreciate any help!

Since no one else has jumped in, here’s my 2 cents.

I own a 2019 Bergara Premier 6.5 Creedmoor. It came with a #5.5 barrel profile. It’s a fairly heavy hunting rifle to walk around with once you get a rail and scope on it.

If you want about 1/3 lbs lighter gun, go with the #5.5 vs #6. That’s the difference indicated in the 2019 catalog near the end in the specs: https://www.bergara.online/us/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/01/2019-Bergara-Catalog.pdf

I’m no competitor, but reading here indicates heavier is better in comps. But further reading also indicates that balance is quite important in comps as well. if you can check out each model, do that and pay attention to balance. If you’re going to run a can, bring that along to see if they’ll let you attach it.

I’d imagine a real lopsided gun would be a bear to maneuver in some of those stages.

I sort of doubt there’s much meaningful difference between the two barrel profiles in terms of performance over strings of fire. But I’ve been wrong before!

I’m a total novice here, so go easy on me. Wanting to get into longer range shooting at the range and deer hunting (FL and GA) and wanting to get my first bolt action rifle that can perform well at both. Since I’ll be hunting with it, I’ll definitely want something “out of the box” and not custom, so I don’t feel so bad scuffing it up in the woods. I’d love to do a custom eventually, but baby steps.

I‘ve take a liking to the Bergara Premier HMR Pro 6.5 creedmoor. I noticed they have it in a “medium-heavy” barrel and a heavy barrel and was hoping to get some info on the difference and pros/cons.

Appreciate any help!
A few months ago my girlfriend bought the heavy barrel version of the rifle you're asking about. The weight is the only difference and it was only a few ounces heavier than the medium heavy barrel version, so it was an easy choice to get the heavy barrel version. The weight difference wasn't big enough to sway the decision one way or the other. She has plans to compete in her first PRS match in September and hunt with it this fall.

We made a video discussing it and some of the same concerns/questions you have. Let me know if you have other questions and I'll take a crack at answering them.

Reactions: category_theory
Really appreciate the info guys, and sorry for the delay. I’m pretty sold unless someone can convince me otherwise. I’m not opposed to the extra weight. I won’t be hiking long distances or anything with it to be concerned about an extra 2-3 pounds over a true hunting rifle.

If there are any more thoughts, keep ‘em coming! Like I said, I’m a novice in this rifle stuff, but have really started to enjoy shooting them.

I say if your only hunting whitetail and also want to shoot long range. Get the 6mm CM.

Less recoil, cheaper ammo

Shoot Hornady 108 ELDM match ammo.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: category_theory
One could buy your setup today for $2650 plus tax.
Optimistically, you might get $1300 for the scope and $500 for the rifle = $1800. B14’s around here aren’t lusted for.

Edit: forgot about the rings ($100), strap ($0), Bergara pic rail ($30?), and Harris bipod ($60-ish). All used prices, my guesses. So add $200 more if you sold them separately. In a package it’s a harder sell, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL2 and spife7980
You also didn’t include the rail, bipod, Talley tactical rings and sling.
Added that to my original post.

And I noticed some scratches (maybe?) on the scope plus ring bites. That’s not going to help you recoup your money.

Sorry man, unless you buy top of the line, like tippy-top (not Bergara Pro even), you’re going to take it in the shorts when selling. That’s just how it is, not trying to be a dork.

Reactions: Jnull
I understand I’m going to take a hit no matter what. Shot the gun at the range one time lol Bought 7 months ago. Scratches don’t effect a vortex scope, especially with the lifetime warranty they provide. Like I said. I have over 3k in the rifle and I’m still not overpriced with my asking. Especially with your estimation on the low end I’m not far off ha
Ok, good luck. Remember, my +$200 for accessories is if you sold ‘em separately.

Also not going to help you that you have no feedback yet.

When I’m buying some random gun, perhaps selling it in the future always seems easy in my head, but in reality it just isn’t easy (for me). Comms, boxing the thing up, etc is such a hassle.

Instead, I just put them on consignment and let the LGS deal with it.

My advice is to maybe sell the bipod, rings, rail, and scope separately to get some feedback stats (and the most money back). That’ll help your cause.

But really, good luck. Merry Xmas!

Reactions: Marcin Sroka
@carbonbased did a good job, no sense in me doing it over. It doesn’t matter how much you have in it, it matters what it’s worth used. It’s a 1700-1800 setup as it sits, your initial price of 2900 is truly laughable. Take it for what it’s worth, or don’t.

You may also want to rethink your logic of my scratched up scope is worth just as much as a mint one because it still functions the same. Try telling that to the salesman when you go trade in a car.