• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara sucks ass, buyer beware.

The reading comprehension here is low. I’ve owned 3 Bergaras now, not 4. I’m not sure where you guys are getting that but apparently some of you can’t read well.

iu

Buying factory rifles is like playing roulette.
I bought a Bergara premier Canyon 6.5 creed last fall
it shoots .5 with 143 eldx.

I had 5 Christiansen arms.
3 were shooters 2 were duds.

bought a Tikka 243 light that would not shoot.

bought a fierce 300wm that would not shoot.

I got tired of playing roulette with factory guns.
started having my guns custom made.

once you start having guns custom made by a good gunsmith,
using a good barrel,
its hard to go back to factory rifles.

I did. What did you do in the original post that mimics firelapping? Breaking a barrel in? You think that’s what firelapping does?

I’m very aware of what fire lapping does, I’m also very aware that putting lapping compound on a bullet and sending it down the barrel isn’t going to turn a 4MOA gun into a sub MOA gun. That’s not how it works. I’m also aware that most manufacturers will void your warranty for shooting bullets and remove material through the barrel.

I followed their barrel break in and then some. I’ve fired over 150 rounds through the barrel at this point.

Turn your brain on and analyze the fact that the barrel super hot shoots well and when it’s cool is does not. That should tell anyone with a clue all they need to know.

I’m very aware of what fire lapping does, I’m also very aware that putting lapping compound on a bullet and sending it down the barrel isn’t going to turn a 4MOA gun into a sub MOA gun. That’s not how it works. I’m also aware that most manufacturers will void your warranty for shooting bullets and remove material through the barrel.

I followed their barrel break in and then some. I’ve fired over 150 rounds through the barrel at this point.

Turn your brain on and analyze the fact that the barrel super hot shoots well and when it’s cool is does not. That should tell anyone with a clue all they need to know.

No it wont. Is your barrel walking shots when it heats up? Maybe it’s not stress. At this point are you seriously going to pursue a warranty claim? lol !!!

Maybe I am off here, but have you tried putting the rifle in a sled to remove as many variables as possible? That would help prove the problem or may point to other issues that exist that are outside of the rifle.

What I am not suggesting is that you suck, so don’t go there. What I am saying is that controlling variables allows you to figure out where is problem lies.

Maybe I am off here, but have you tried putting the rifle in a sled to remove as many variables as possible? That would help prove the problem or may point to other issues that exist that are outside of the rifle.

What I am not suggesting is that you suck, so don’t go there. What I am saying is that controlling variables allows you to figure out where is problem lies.
The basic scientific method.

Reactions: Ronws and lariat

Sleds usually make rifles shoot worse not better. I was shooting off of sandbags and shots were breaking clean. Also like I said in my original post I had absolutely no problem shooting my much lighter Seekins Element 7PRC on the same day off the same bags. Dry firing with both before shooting strings the Bergara was more solid on the bags but shot the worst. I don’t believe the bench setup has anything to do with the rifle shooting so poorly.

Reactions: JakeM
Sleds usually make rifles shoot worse not better. I was shooting off of sandbags and shots were breaking clean. Also like I said in my original post I had absolutely no problem shooting my much lighter Seekins Element 7PRC on the same day off the same bags. Dry firing with both before shooting strings the Bergara was more solid on the bags but shot the worst. I don’t believe the bench setup has anything to do with the rifle shooting so poorly.
I’m not looking for better or worse. That simply is not a concern. I’m looking at consistency in holding variables steady. If you are not doing that the results cannot be taken away from you or your setup such as cheek weld, parallax, etc.

I’m not looking for better or worse. That simply is not a concern. I’m looking at consistency in holding variables steady. If you are not doing that the results cannot be taken away from you or your setup such as cheek weld, parallax, you, etc.

The optic was parallax free, that was checked along with dozens of other things. If you read my original post you’ll even see that I confirmed that optic on another rifle on the first range trip and put the optic from the other rifle on the Bergara too with no change. On the Seekins I barely had a chin weld and had no problem shooting it.

I’ve owned a shit load of rifles, shot hundreds of thousands of rounds. I have a pretty good idea when something isn’t right with the setup. It would have shown up dry firing which I was doing a lot of as I always do when I’m shooting for groups at a bench.

Reactions: MikeMiller
I’ve owned a shit load of rifles, shot hundreds of thousands of rounds. I have a pretty good idea when something isn’t right with the setup.
I would think, a rifle that won't shoot under 4 minutes, the issue would be obvious to someone that has shot thousands of rds and owned a shit load of guns? To be that far off, something is bad wrong and it should be easy to spot with a Mk 1 eyeball I would think. Have you shot any flat base bullets? If not shoot a few bullets into water and inspect the bearing surface and base then the same with BT's and look at the transition from the bearing to tail closely.

I would think, a rifle that won't shoot under 4 minutes, the issue would be obvious to someone that has shot thousands of rds and owned a shit load of guns? To be that far off, something is bad wrong and it should be easy to spot with a Mk 1 eyeball I would think. Have you shot any flat base bullets? If not shoot a few bullets into water and inspect the bearing surface and base then the same with BT's and look at the transition from the bearing to tail closely.

I’m not going to shoot flat based bullets because there’s no factory 7PRC ammo with them. I bought this rifle to shoot factory ammo and it’s guaranteed to shoot 1MOA with factory ammo so that is my expectation.

The issue is that the build quality is pure shit, the accuracy has gotten better since they recrowned it and it’s shooting 1.5-2MOA average now. The only thing that shot worse than that after I got it back is the Federap terminal ascent that I spent $80 to get a box of because that’s what they told me it’s guaranteed to shoot with and that shot the worst.

I’ll once again point you to the picture of the excellent bolt lug contact on this thing.

I figured the barrel would look like a sewer pipe but surprisingly the bore looks good. The first thing I did after the first range sessions was scrub the shit out of the barrel with eliminator and run the borescope through it and I was surprised by what I saw. With the horrendous copper fouling I excepted to see terrible machining in the rifling but it actually looks very good.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 55

You act like you know it all , so why can't you find the problem ?

I’m not going to shoot flat based bullets because there’s no factory 7PRC ammo with them. I bought this rifle to shoot factory ammo and it’s guaranteed to shoot 1MOA with factory ammo so that is my expectation.

The issue is that the build quality is pure shit, the accuracy has gotten better since they recrowned it and it’s shooting 1.5-2MOA average now. The only thing that shot worse than that after I got it back is the Federap terminal ascent that I spent $80 to get a box of because that’s what they told me it’s guaranteed to shoot with and that shot the worst.

I’ll once again point you to the picture of the excellent bolt lug contact on this thing.

I figured the barrel would look like a sewer pipe but surprisingly the bore looks good. The first thing I did after the first range sessions was scrub the shit out of the barrel with eliminator and run the borescope through it and I was surprised by what I saw. With the horrendous copper fouling I excepted to see terrible machining in the rifling but it actually looks very good.
You want us to find someone to come by, and see WTF is going on?

You want us to find someone to come by, and see WTF is going on?

It’s going to a gunsmith for inspection and to get the issues in writing from a third party and then it will go before a judge.

This post wasn’t asking for help figuring it out, I’ve figured out that it has some machining issues and likely a barrel stress issue. This thread is only to make others aware of the garbage Bergara puts out and letting them decide if they want to roll the dice

You might want to rethink that, but its your rodeo.
$2000 rifle is gonna be a waste of time in court…. Lawyer fees alone will be way more than that… and good luck getting them to cover attorney fees…. Sell it or re barrel that bitch and go on… no offense meant to OP at all, but that’s gonna be a huge waste of your time and money.

It’s going to a gunsmith for inspection and to get the issues in writing from a third party and then it will go before a judge.

This post wasn’t asking for help figuring it out, I’ve figured out that it has some machining issues and likely a barrel stress issue. This thread is only to make others aware of the garbage Bergara puts out and letting them decide if they want to roll the dice
Don’t do that

You’re already wasting time and putting yourself further behind in $. List it for sale. Include whatever Bergara included saying it would shoot good. Tell the new owner you must just suck at shooting. Cut your losses and move on. Preferably to something not made by Bergara

Just my $.02

Don’t do that

You’re already wasting time and putting yourself further behind in $. List it for sale. Include whatever Bergara included saying it would shoot good. Tell the new owner you must just suck at shooting. Cut your losses and move on. Preferably to something not made by Bergara

Just my $.02

I’ll remember to never buy anything from you. That’s a shitty zero integrity move to pass on a rifle to someone that you believe to be a dud.

I’ll remember to never buy anything from you. That’s a shitty zero integrity move to pass on a rifle to someone that you believe to be a dud.
I’m as honest as it gets on here. I think any member who’s ever dealt with me would tell you that. As would my feedback

I’m not saying sell it as a dud and be dishonest. So far in this thread I’m not entirely convinced the gun is even the issue here.

What I’m saying is the company you sent it to tested it and it came back in good working order. There’s no reason to believe they’re lying about how it shot. You on the other hand are on your third/fourth whatever number rifle from them and are clearly disappointed or you wouldn’t have started a thread like this to begin with

I’m saying the gun shot as it should from factory after sending it in. You clearly have an issue with the gun. You clearly have an issue with Bergara as a whole. I don’t blame you if you had bad experiences for that.

You simply say you’re having issues with accuracy. You sent it to Bergara. It came back with a clean bill of health and shot .6 and .9 with 170 whatever ammo. It’s not a lie. It’s not deceptive in any way. It’s fact

You came here crying about your rifle. You shit on everyone who offered any advice. I’m not sure if you’re expecting us all to jump on the “shit on Bergara” train but as an owner of two Bergaras I have no complaints. My B14R had issues ejecting. I figured it out and fixed it then moved on

I’m saying your sanity would be further ahead to pursue another rifle if you’re unhappy. That is all

Good luck with your rifle.

On a serious note did you check the crown for burrs?

On a less serious note are you even using the correct ammo?

$2000 rifle is gonna be a waste of time in court…. Lawyer fees alone will be way more than that… and good luck getting them to cover attorney fees…. Sell it or re barrel that bitch and go on… no offense meant to OP at all, but that’s gonna be a huge waste of your time and money.
Here I think in small claims you're still GTG up to $3,500.00, but if you lose it could cost you way more than that, in a counter suit. Proving it won't shoot would be interesting no matter what smith says what, vs the factory lawyers & their crew. Lawyer'ing up over a factory gun, is a no win anyway you slice it. The time and aggravation alone would stop most folks. Plus once the Factory is served, like it or not they will go for broke.

Did you run the picatinny rail screws in without the rail to see how deep they go?

I know nothing about Bergara rifles, except they are either a love 'em or hate 'em affair, like Christensen or Fierce.

This line makes me pause, if you have a thick bond line, you are relying on epoxy to support the picatinny rail, if the receiver is out of spec, Bergara should replace the entire rifle, because I suspect it's machined in one or two setups. If that tolerance was off, so will the other tolerances machined in the same setup.

If it was the rail, it needs to be replaced.

The scope base isn’t loose. It was bedded because the front of the receiver was out of spec and had to be built up. It was bedded for straightness (Seekins rail), and also epoxied onto the receiver after curing with JB so theres no way in hell it’s coming loose. I’ve shot epoxied bases without screws to test strength and it made no difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haney
Because I have morals and won’t pawn a piece of crap off on someone else? LOL

I must have struck a nerve in the douche bags that think that’s acceptable behavior.
I agree with you, and being a senior as well as a poor, sometimes its a bitch. I've busted up a couple things rather than sell a POS.

In your case I think you just have some problem. I'd put the problem in the add "This should be a good gun, it has shot sub MOA, but it fucks with me and I just need to move it. I hope it will be better for someone else.", and get what I could. Like someone said, a new barrel might change a lot and the new person wouldnt have so much emotion tied up in it.

I think court will just get you more wrapped up. It's only a machine and not worth that much pain. Move it fairly and move on.

Reactions: redneckbmxer24
Because I have morals and won’t pawn a piece of crap off on someone else? LOL

I must have struck a nerve in the douche bags that think that’s acceptable behavior.
According to the manufacturer, the rifle is good to go. I don't see the moral dilemma with selling it.

Reactions: Darryle
To avoid so much moral angst around selling a lemon, how about offering it at a bargain price, allow the prospective buyer a couple of trial groups at the range, and then giving him the choice to buy or not. Of course, this would probably mean the necessity of a local sale.

So I should lose more money practically giving this thing away at a price somebody will actually buy the piece of crap because it doesn’t meet the guarantee?

How about FUCK NO!

So I should lose more money practically giving this thing away at a price somebody will actually buy the piece of crap because it doesn’t meet the guarantee?

How about FUCK NO!
And the truth comes out. Not willing to sell it on moral grounds, but maybe willing to sell it but not for a loss. But not willing to keep it and live with a total loss so spend money and time to push on the manufacturer. Dude you are all over the map.

The Thread title should be changed to “I hate Bergara and I need you to hate them too”.

And the truth comes out. Not willing to sell it on moral grounds, but maybe willing to sell it but not for a loss. But not willing to keep it and live with a total loss so spend money and time to push on the manufacturer. Dude you are all over the map.

The Thread title should be changed to “I hate Bergara and I need you to hate them too”.

I sell stuff at a loss all the time that I just don’t want anymore or I don’t like. This is quite a bit different. If you can’t see that, not my problem.

How about FUCK NO!
Well, perhaps you could consider the loss as your penance for being dumb enough to buy yet another Bergara when you really knew better deep down inside? Just trying to help you out of your moral dilemma .

Word.

Reactions: FuhQ
I don’t think there’s an ambulance chaser that will take your “case”. It’s a $1000 rifle. Spend a couple hundred to have it checked out or send it down the road for $750 and let someone else play with it.

I don’t think it’s the lugs. There’s enough 700s in the wild with shitty lug contact that shoot well. Maybe the action isn’t square enough or Maybe the bore isn’t concentric the whole way through and the heat expands things enough to tighten the bore up? Hot barrels usually open up and your’s is the opposite.

Well, perhaps you could consider the loss as your penance for being dumb enough to buy yet another Bergara when you really knew better deep down inside? Just trying to help you out of your moral dilemma .
People buy Leupold scopes when the new stuff comes out hoping for them to turn the corner and get left disappointed. It happens but I wouldn’t call them dumb.

New year new product, they should have it figured out but people leave and you get someone worse or you hit the lottery and get someone that knows their shit and cares about their work.

Dude I got some fucking banana bread at work today dude hell yea my mom told me that if I like wait for things then like good things will happen like getting banana bread at work today dude hell yea so it just goes to show that waiting for good things is like worth it dude but there are like a lot of bad things in this world dude like fucking Berretta dude hell no buying a Bergara and it shoots like fucking shit dude, hell no dude buying A FUCKING SAVAGE AND THE EXTRACTOR TAKES A FUCKING SHIT AT A FUCKING MATCH DUDE WHILE ALL THE OTHER FUCKING DUDES ARE LIKE LAUGHING AT YOU DUDE HELL NO BUT BANANA BREAD AT FUCKING WORK DUDE HELL YEA DUDE HELL YEA
I have no fucking idea what you said!

That’s a fair point, but I still don’t think I should take any more of a loss in this circumstance nor will I accept that.