• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara vs custom

Blangst1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2021
Alabama
I’m just getting into long range shooting and want to get a dedicated range gun. Would you recommend to get a bergara HMR or build a budget custom rifle (tenacity action) with prefit barrels so I had the option to swap or rebarrel myself down the road?

Don’t think anyone could say a custom is a bad idea.
I will say however the bergara HMR series offer a lot of gun for the $ !

HMR is nice for the price. IMO Tikka is closer to aftermarket actions.

I’d go with an origin or Mack if the budget is tight.

If you have the funds for a budget custom, that is the route I would recommend. You're going to end up with a better barrel and trigger in the first go around vs. upgrading the hmr ro get there.

I too am just getting into long range shooting . I chose to go with the Bergara. Mainly because that’s what was in my budget. In your question I don’t think you where really asking a fair question. Your not really comparing apples to apples. There is a pretty big cost difference in the Bergara compared to a custom rifle. Of course if your budget allows going with the custom

One other consideration to keep in mind, factory rifles are available. It's tough to find actions or BAs right now, so you'd have to be prepared to wait.... possibly a significant amount of time.

If you can swing the budget custom then do it. The Tenacity or a Origin and put it together like you want. It's the best route for long term.