• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 153.5 jump?

russkim04

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2019
Berger 153.5 ----- how much jump are you using? I'm looking at .145-.200" in my rifle.... thoughts?

Last edited:
I was about .150 in my first barrel, and they were good. I shortened the freebore n my current barrel and am now shooting the about .050. They are stuffed further into the case than I would prefer, but with a short action you don’t have a lot of choice. I would try them at you max mag length and see how it works.

Reactions: nrspence
I was about .150 in my first barrel, and they were good. I shortened the freebore n my current barrel and am now shooting the about .050. They are stuffed further into the case than I would prefer, but with a short action you don’t have a lot of choice. I would try them at you max mag length and see how it works.
I tried to see if they would repeat at mag length and they did not. First saterlee test showed great accuracy at 200 yards- made up same receipe and next time didn't shoot good. I think I'll play with seating depth- in gonna test some shorter 140s like the hornady eld and match bthp which will only be seeing around .060 jump in my barrel. I using rl26 on 153s and I'll be using rl16 with 140s probably

How does one shorten the jump? I'm working with ar10 platform.... ty

sounds like you don’t have much of a choice.

what all do you have?
Ar10 platform. I have rl26 rl16 mag and standard primers. Hornady 140eld and bthp match will be next to see what's most accurate out of the 3

Reactions: Sigma
If you want to mag feed and are already at mag length, the only way to shorten the jump is a new chamber/barrel. You could also load the round longer and single feed by hand, but I don’t think that is what you are looking for. I shortened the freebore by having a different chamber cut when I got a new barrel.

Reactions: russkim04