• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 162 vs Berger 180

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
In a 7mmSTW any advantage of using the 162. I have a 26" 9twist barrel and would like to load with reloader 25 since that is readily available locally. I can also get some hogden powder if that is better. Will be using for long range tactical matches.

Re: Berger 162 vs Berger 180

Nut,

Berger does not make a 162 grain 7mm, Hornady does. But the 180 Berger will be better, in your beast. RL-25 will also work well. Best of luck finding a good load, before you burn the barrel out......

Bob

You are right .....I knew they made a 160 something....I guess it is actually a 168. My concern is that it will not shoot the 180's well with a 9 twist. You are right also about burning out the barrel this rifle is notorious for taking a lot of work to find a load but then it is capable of great groups. I've never worked with Berbers in it though. I figure I'll try to shoot it out while I learn the ropes in a few tactical matches then upgrade to a more barrel friendly caliber.

I shoot F-Class with a guy and his 7STW - he uses the Berger 168s at 3,200 fps (thick Jacket Target bullets). Needless to say, he does not hold too much wind. My 180 Bergers going 2,940 need more windage then his 168s, but in a head to head same speed test, teh 180s win hands down.

JeffVN

I guess I should ask this question more specifically, Is 1:9 twist fast enough to shoot the 180's at distance or will the 168's fly better with that twist rate? Also what is a good starting load with RE-25?
Thanks