• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 185 Juggernauts (.308) data

DieselWSM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
Spokane, WA
Sorry if this is a repost...couldnt see anything in the search population.

Currently running 175SMKs but want a little more wind insurance. Running a GAP .308 Rem 700, 26" 1:11 and looking for a starting load for the 185 juggernauts.

I wouldn't mind some info on 168 Hybrids if anybody has some.

I dont have much time for load development so looking for a good starting point so that I am not re-inventing the wheel. Thanks!!

Re: Berger 185 Juggernauts (.308) data

I load them for the AR10 single load, and M700 as well
Loaded long 2.950 OAL jumping .010 in a throated obermeyer chamber, 45.0 of Varget wolf LR primers. Shoot incredibly well in the Remington as well, but no idea how much they jump there. They fall out of the case before they touch....

Here are loads I have use with them that worked, loads long, to fit in an AI mag, you have to reduce it as the pressure starts getting there quick.

RE15, 44.3 (43.1 mag length AI mag)
Varget 45.0 ( 43.5 mag length AI mag)
N150 45.0 long loaded. Did not try at mag length.

Use 175 Sierra starting loads and go from there and you will be ok. They have very close bearing surfaces an the 185 Berger isn't a big generator of pressure like the 190 Sierra.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know who may have the 185 juggernauts in stock? I would like to try a box. </div></div>

Brunos is the only place I have found them, fairly well priced but havent gotten the invoice with shipping costs yet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load them for the AR10 single load, and M700 as well
Loaded long 2.950 OAL jumping .010 in a throated obermeyer chamber, 45.0 of Varget wolf LR primers. Shoot incredibly well in the Remington as well, but no idea how much they jump there. They fall out of the case before they touch....

Here are loads I have use with them that worked, loads long, to fit in an AI mag, you have to reduce it as the pressure starts getting there quick.

Use 175 Sierra starting loads and go from there and you will be ok. They have very close bearing surfaces an the 185 Berger isn't a big generator of pressure like the 190 Sierra.
</div></div>

Thanks for the info...looks like a good starting point. My 700 really likes 43.6 grains of Varget .005 off of the lands for 175 SMKs, typically sub 1/2 MOA (when I am in practice)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shep77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know who may have the 185 juggernauts in stock? I would like to try a box. </div></div>

Brunos is the only place I have found them, fairly well priced but havent gotten the invoice with shipping costs yet </div></div>

Thanks Shep, I think I will grab a box and see how they work for me. I have plenty of wind to deal with here in SD, so these might just be the ticket for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load them for the AR10 single load, and M700 as well

</div></div>

You need to look at power pro 2000 mr. I'm running the 175 smk at 2770 fps out of a 22" bartlein. My buddy jade was shooting them (185 juggernaut) way over 2700 out of a 28" krieger with a 1:11. He wins ftr alot shooting them. He has since moved on to 200 hybrids. Still over 2700. Power pro is the best powder for 175+ pills I have ever seen in .308

Reactions: DRandi

I have considered it, I wasn't real impressed with it with 223, but it has potential. Ran out of it before I got to try it with 308. I get 2720 out of the 24 in 5R M700 with 45.0 Varget and 2675 with the 185's in the AR10, (20 in Krieger 1/11) on the bolt gun one hole .3 moa 5 shot groups are normal, with 3 shots, .2 or better. its a great load in my rifle. the ar10 gets right at .5 MOA.

That's probably because of it's burn rate. It likes HEAVY bullets. Anything below a 175 has shot like shit out of my GAP with 2000 mr. I'm telling you man just pick up one pound and load to same specs as before but with 46.5 grains to start. Youll be wondering why you didn't do it before.

The problem with that is... almost nobody carries the dang stuff that I've been able to find, and hazmat for 1lb if you have to order it sucks out loud.

80-90gr from a .223 should be roughly equiv. to 200+ from a .308 as far as 'heavy' for caliber...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with that is... almost nobody carries the dang stuff that I've been able to find, and hazmat for 1lb if you have to order it sucks out loud.

</div></div>

You're right that the hazmat fee sucks.

I found that I can add a pound of powder to an order for primers from Powder Valley. Back when there was no "run" on components their primer prices for BR primers and Fed GMM's were enough lower than what the local Dealers wanted that two or three boxes of primers "paid" the hazmat fee and another two boxes or so "paid" the freight. Adding the "pound of this and a pound of that" powders was no big deal.

Of course we'll have to wait until all those who are "hoarding" either get all they can store or run out of money before one can do that again.

I used it with 77's, the velocity was there, but not as accurate as the H4995.

I will find a pound locally and give it a try with the fat boys in 308. Going to be real tough to beat that 45.0 Varget load with 175's though.... But a few hundred 190's are sitting around...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load them for the AR10 single load, and M700 as well

</div></div>

You need to look at power pro 2000 mr. I'm running the 175 smk at 2770 fps out of a 22" bartlein. My buddy jade was shooting them (185 juggernaut) way over 2700 out of a 28" krieger with a 1:11. He wins ftr alot shooting them. He has since moved on to 200 hybrids. Still over 2700. Power pro is the best powder for 175+ pills I have ever seen in .308 </div></div>

Thanks for the post Aimsmall. I dont mind loading for what works but I also try to keep things simple and load the same powder for various rifles...right now I have all my rifles running off of 3 powders, Varget, H4350, and RL17. I makes my life much simpler...then again, if I had alternate powders since the "crunch" has hit, maybe I could reload a little more since everything is MIA HAHA!

Reactions: Pezco

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up some MR2000 today... Will let you know how it goes. </div></div>

Where did you find the MR2000 at? I just got my 185s in the mail yesterday.

Panells in canton had some. Had as in past tense. I got both containers

Will the 185 juggernauts stabilize in a 1/12 twist barrel out to long distance.

You can probably take Berger's word as gospel. I doubt very seriously that the data they publish for their own bullets is anything other than spot-on. What I can tell you is that a Krieger 1:13 twist, 30" long will indeed stabilize their 175's out to 1K, as indicated from their chart.

Paul

Ok thank you pj for the information. Yea I would think that it would be spot on but you never know. I'm a newer shooter and I'm in the process of getting everything set up for my first precision rifle and want to use the juggernaut from a rem 700 police that I'm getting soon. Thank you for the reassurance.