• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Berger 185gr Juggernaut deer results

redneckbmxer24

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    The juggernaut is a newer bullet that I haven't seen any feedback of game performance and with any match bullet it may or may not work.

I'll update this with results as the season goes on, if you have results to contribute, please do. I'm sure results with other newer bullets like the 105 and 140 hybrid would be appreciated as well.

Here's test subject #1. She was about 80 yards quartering towards me. This was a high shoulder shot and you can see the exit very well. Bullet was the 185 juggernaut fired from a 308 at 2700FPS. It rolled her like she got hit by a bus.

I'm confident enough in the bullets performance that I'm going to try a behind the shoulder shot on the next one.

ADD5FBEC-7B13-458D-83F0-BEF4E89F69A5-5223-000006876F110516_zpsf294fdf8.jpg

B2E61DAC-BF58-4983-8E4B-D59031D381AA-5223-0000068777D85021_zpsc0954af9.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: mike_srt4 and DJL2
    Yes it is, I'm sure the bone fragments didn't help it though. It's exactly like the wound cavities I've had with high shoulder shots and 155gr scenars. The scenars work great on vital shots so I don't see why the juggs won't perform well.

Seems like a waste of meat to me, why not just use a good bonded bullet that mushrooms nicely that does not explode on impact?

For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would want to use match bullets for hunting when there are plenty of bullets on the market designed specifically for a good clean kill with the least amount of damage to edible product.

Reactions: ze_german
    Seems like a waste of meat to me, why not just use a good bonded bullet that mushrooms nicely that does not explode on impact?

I thought the argument against hunting with match bullets was that they don't expand but rather pencil through...?

I'm guessing if the shot placement has been something other than high shoulder, say heart/ lungs or CNS, there wouldn't have been much meat damage.

I'd like to keep this on the topic of the performance of Berger Hybrids on game if we can. I will say though that I have damaged far more meat with hunting bullets. A hunting bullet square in the shoulder is almost always going to punch through both shoulders damaging more meat. The match bullets that work well and the Berger hunting bullets typically go in and explode in the vitals leaving little to no exit and damaging little meat. This exit hole was like that because it was in the top of the shoulder/spine. Even a FMJ is going to turn bone into fragments and fuck up a lot of stuff in that scenario. I lost all of 5" of tenderloin, maybe 1/4 of the left shoulder, and a little bit of rib meat that I usually don't bother with anyway.

I am also doing this as a test to find out how the bullet acts on game because I have not seen one other report on a juggernaut on game.

Reactions: mike_srt4 and DJL2
    The juggernaut is a newer bullet that I haven't seen any feedback of game performance and with any match bullet it may or may not work.

I'll update this with results as the season goes on, if you have results to contribute, please do. I'm sure results with other newer bullets like the 105 and 140 hybrid would be appreciated as well.

Here's test subject #1. She was about 80 yards quartering towards me. This was a high shoulder shot and you can see the exit very well. Bullet was the 185 juggernaut fired from a 308 at 2700FPS. It rolled her like she got hit by a bus.

I'm confident enough in the bullets performance that I'm going to try a behind the shoulder shot on the next one.

ADD5FBEC-7B13-458D-83F0-BEF4E89F69A5-5223-000006876F110516_zpsf294fdf8.jpg

B2E61DAC-BF58-4983-8E4B-D59031D381AA-5223-0000068777D85021_zpsc0954af9.jpg

As far as the 140 hybrids go, I shot a hog and it was DRT ... The exit hole was the size of my fist x2. This was out of the 6.5 Creedmor.

A hunting bullet square in the shoulder is almost always going to punch through both shoulders damaging more meat.

Stop aiming for the shoulder.

I am also doing this as a test to find out how the bullet acts on game because I have not seen one other report on a juggernaut on game.

You have not seen it because it is a stupid test. It is a match bullet. If you like Berger bullets and want to use them for hunting use the hunting VLD's, they have a thicker jacket that helps to keep the bullet mass more together. Match bullets have very thin jackets that rip apart easily and cause this crap.

This test is akin to duct taping a hammer to a broom stick to see how well it works as a golf club.

If you have a problem with people hunting with match bullets then perhaps you found the wrong forum. I'd bet I've killed twice the deer you have and most have been with match bullets. Some work, some don't. Many people like to hunt with the same rifle they shoot all year and using the same load helps a lot as well. You don't have to develope a new load and you don have to dope a new load.

You should educate yourself on Berger hunting bullets as well, they are designed to fragment after entry. Not make a perfect mushroom. These bullets apparently do the same thing. For the record a thinner jacket should fragment faster which = less meat damage on the other side.

Since you obviously have no EXPERIENCE on the matter to add, if there is anything further (you whining about people hunting with bullets you don't understand), how about you create our own thread instead of sidetrack this one.

Reactions: HogsLife and DJL2
    I am not sidetracking the thread, rather trying to understand it. I do not see the point of hunting with a bullet that was designed specifically for killing paper, not animals. If you think you have to work up a new load for a hunting round you are mistaken. That simple statement shows me you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Most kills are within 200 yards, you do not need to do a new workup for a bullet of the same weight and similar BC simply because it has a different design for shots withing a few hundred yards.

There are more reasons for not hunting with match bullets and one of them is their reliability to kill an animal. One inch higher the OP may not have had these results. He could have simply wounded the animal.

The whole point of a bullet that retains its mass is so it delivers 100% of its energy to the kill, not blast half the energy out the other side of the animal and take half the meat with it. It is a proven fact that bullets that retain more of their mass are more effective at killing and bullets that frag are more efficient at wounding.

With all the premier hunting bullets on the market it is ignorant to hunt with match bullets. Millions have been spent by companies to develop the best hunting bullets by all the bullet makers over they years yet a handful of rednecks decide they need to re-think the wheel and go shoot some animals to prove all that R&D wrong.

If match bullets were so good for hunting don't you think the bullet makers would say hey, these bullets are great for hunting and save themselves the money developing bullets that deliver the maximum amount of energy to the kill? I don't care if you killed one more deer than I have or 50, when you do shit like this it makes hunters look bad. The OP makes himself look like someone who is simply killing deer to see how badly he can blow up an animal without trying to make a kill as humane as possible.

There is a right tool for every job and hunting with match bullets is not the right tool for the job.

I am not sidetracking the thread, rather trying to understand it. I do not see the point of hunting with a bullet that was designed specifically for killing paper, not animals. If you think you have to work up a new load for a hunting round you are mistaken. That simple statement shows me you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Most kills are within 200 yards, you do not need to do a new workup for a bullet of the same weight and similar BC simply because it has a different design for shots withing a few hundred yards.

There are more reasons for not hunting with match bullets and one of them is their reliability to kill an animal. One inch higher the OP may not have had these results. He could have simply wounded the animal.

The whole point of a bullet that retains its mass is so it delivers 100% of its energy to the kill, not blast half the energy out the other side of the animal and take half the meat with it. It is a proven fact that bullets that retain more of their mass are more effective at killing and bullets that frag are more efficient at wounding.

With all the premier hunting bullets on the market it is ignorant to hunt with match bullets. Millions have been spent by companies to develop the best hunting bullets by all the bullet makers over they years yet a handful of rednecks decide they need to re-think the wheel and go shoot some animals to prove all that R&D wrong.

If match bullets were so good for hunting don't you think the bullet makers would say hey, these bullets are great for hunting and save themselves the money developing bullets that deliver the maximum amount of energy to the kill? I don't care if you killed one more deer than I have or 50, when you do shit like this it makes hunters look bad. The OP makes himself look like someone who is simply killing deer to see how badly he can blow up an animal without trying to make a kill as humane as possible.

There is a right tool for every job and hunting with match bullets is not the right tool for the job.

Try an amax .... You might change your tune

Rhunter, there is so much stupid and ignorance in your posts that I can't even fathom. Congrats on being the second person on my ignore list.

I think there is some confusion as to what is a match bullet. For Berger it is consistency from bullet to bullet in the shape, weight, and jacket thickness. All berger bullets are essentially a match bullet. They have 4 lines of bullets Varmint, Target, Hunting, and Tactical. The 185 Juggernaut can be had in an OTM or a Target version. I do not know what version the OP is using but Berger designed the tactical line with a thicker jacket to offer better penetration and hold up to higher muzzle velocities. If you do some reading you will find plenty of people are using Berger OTM bullets to take game with great results. Funny to see the debate still going as to what bullet is the right bullet to kill game with. Is it a bullet that stays together with deeper penetration or one that expands rapidly and dumps a lot of energy right away. Game has been hit and run off from all kinds of bullets. I would love to see the report saying one bullet only injures animals and one kills. If this was true then all hunters would use surplus FMJ ammo.

Just cause a bullet says it is a match bullet does not mean it is a bad bullet for hunting. It may mean its a better bullet because it should deliver better accuracy in turn should mean better shot placement consistency. Shot placement is key even down to a 100 yards.

My only issue with the OP is why such a large bullet on such a little deer? J/K.

For the most part, bullets work when they go where they're supposed to. You put any kind of bullet in the wrong spot and you lose. There are freak occurrences with any type of bullet at any given time where even if you put it in the right spot (or think you did) the bullet just doesn't do what it's designed to do or stay on the path that you intended it to upon entry. I do know I've never personally seen a deer or 500 pound elk with a broken shoulder or two and the internal damage that goes with it, run off with any kind of bullet. Between the two animals I have seen roughly 60-70 go that way.

If partitions shoot great in your gun and you can hit a target where you want at ranges way past what you would take an animal at and you have good dope on it then use that. If all you have ever practiced at distance with is a match bullet or it is what shoots best for you, in your gun and you are headed to the field then by God you better use that. For the most part, we're not talking about 200 yards or less. In my opinion, those are head shots for meat or high shoulder and spine for antlers and meat.

Edit to add: New shooters/hunters,

If you don't have extensive practice at the range and at the distances you hunt or even well beyond, then you have no business shooting any of these bullets at any animal. So if you are new to any of this don't take any of these bullets to the field thinking it is the magic bullet that will drop game like dirty laundry cause some guys on the Internet said it would. They all have to go where they need to go and that is up to you. Also know that no matter what you use there will come a time when you do not recover what you shot at no matter how hard you look or where you think you hit it.

Last edited:
    and with any bullet period,it may or may not work.]

Fixed it for ya. Match bullets work just fine, as proved by many here and elsewhere. Just as many hunting bullets fail as match, I'd bet its more often than not, shooter error, not the bullet. This has been discussed at length here, and proven by people who kill more game animals than most ever see. Discussed to the point it seems a foolish discussion to have.

I thought the argument against hunting with match bullets was that they don't expand but rather pencil through...?

EXACTLY! one day they blow up on impact, the next they are penciling through.

Holy shit! look at all this:

Lotta bologna there, match bullets are designed to fly, and cheat the wind, for the EXPLICIT purpose of HITTING WHAT YOU ARE AIMING AT! You are so good at discussing proven facts, how about this one; Shot placement wins, every time. Number one component to a kill is shot placement, followed by bullet weight, construction, caliber, velocity, etc. but not necessarily in that order. Hitting an animal in the right spot is probably 80-90% of killing it. So whether its a match bullet or not is not nearly as important. You are right however in that there is no need to make up another load. Most guys here shoot Tactical style rifles, and their tried and trued MATCH ammunition will work just fine for hunting, especially since they are used to it, and how it performs, and they are exponentially more likely to hit their intended POA with a gun and ammo they shoot thousands of rounds through, VS. shooting a new/recently worked up load. Not to mention the added cost of load workup, and the usual premium paid for such whimsical bullets. Whats more, some of us hunt where 200 yards is a joke, and the average shot can be up to 8-900 yards. So instead of playing with something new/different, I'll just shoot the same bullet I always do, and do it well.
    1.There are more reasons for not hunting with match bullets and one of them is their reliability to kill an animal. 2.One inch higher the OP may not have had these results. He could have simply wounded the animal.
    1. Bullshit. I've used nothing but match bullets for the last ten or so years of hunting, I can assure you, any failures were mine, not the equipment. And there are countless others who kill thousands more animals than me with em too.
    2. This statement would be true with any bullet (remember the whole thing about shot placement, it wins, every time.)
    Tell me professor, if a bullet has transferred ALL of its energy into the kill, with what energy is it still traveling beyond the kill? I'll help, a bullet that goes through an animal doesn't transfer all its energy silly, thats why they taught us in hunter's safety to look beyond your target. Because the bullet can go through, and still kill something, with all that........wait for it..........left over energy. A bullet that stops inside an animal is the one that transfers ALL its energy. Whether it fragments or not is another discussion.
    And even with all that technology and millions spent on R&D, all us rednecks continue to easily and humanely kill thousands of animals every year. Sounds ignorant doesn't it?
    If match bullets were so good for hunting don't you think the bullet makers would say hey, these bullets are great for hunting and save themselves the money developing bullets that deliver the maximum amount of energy to the kill?
    They couldn't sell you premium bullets if they did that. Just like extended warranties, they are products, made to be sold. Every company is in the market of making the newest wiz bang thing that will solve all your problems. That doesn't mean it is the only product that will do the job.
    I don't care if you killed one more deer than I have or 50, when you do shit like this it makes hunters look bad. The OP makes himself look like someone who is simply killing deer to see how badly he can blow up an animal without trying to make a kill as humane as possible.
    This doesn't look any worse than the thousands of deer that are killed inhumanely by cars, or shot poorly by some Nosler fan boy who cant hit the barn from inside it. Shit happens, sometimes it isn't pretty. But we are talking about killing something, show me a pretty death.......
    You sound like the right tool for selling premium bullets. But I smile every time I watch an animal drop like a sack of shit when my match bullets drive through their vitals. Just dropped a coyote the other day, 500 yards on the nose, with a 175 SMK from my 16" .308. He didn't make a step before he hit the cold ground. Shot placement, it wins every time. These hips dont lie.

I'm still glad I was told by the peanut gallery that deer aren't killed beyond 200 yards. My Swarovski LRF must be messed up, good excuse to go by a vectronix. I'll also trade in all my rifles for a thuty-thuty and stock up on corelokt (since we know nothing else is capable of killing). God knows a "match" bullet that hits like a bus won't do the trick.

I wonder if gander will let me trade in my AI and NF for a marlin 336, a leupold 3-9, and a box of core lokts?

• Haha
    Reactions: DJL2
    Shot placement, it wins every time.

No arguments here.

average shot can be up to 8-900 yards

I spent half my life in Colorado and we never took shots that far. To big of a chance of simply wounding the animal and the energy most rounds have at that distance decrease the chances of a good kill.

they are exponentially more likely to hit their intended POA with a gun and ammo they shoot thousands of rounds through, VS. shooting a new/recently worked up load

Like I said, a hunting bullet with a similar weight and BC does not require a new load workup and if you buy a box of 50 that gives you enough to verify your load before you go hunting. How difficult is that.. really?

and the usual premium paid for such whimsical bullets

$30.50 for 50 or .62 cents a bullet

Nosler AccuBond Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 180 Grain Bonded Spitzer

$47.50 for 100 or .475 cents each.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/249578/berger-target-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-185-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-100

.15 cents a piece difference is not a real premium considering a box of hunting bullets usually lasted me 2 years.

EXACTLY! one day they blow up on impact, the next they are penciling through.

EXACTLY! They are unreliable! That is my argument. I agree, shot placement is key, but so is penetration and when a bullet frags you don't get the penetration.

Most of the elk I have killed the bullet never made it through the other side of the animal, but I have always used bullets designed to retain their weight. In a lot of cases it was the hydrostatic shock that killed the animal. I have had shots where I said to myself "he should not have died from this shot so suddenly" and that was before I understood how hydrostatic shock worked. Some of my cleanest kills were when the bullet retained the majority of its mass and did not exit the animal. On impact they drop to their knees, end of episode.

I respect your opinions on my comments but I also see a lot of making reasons to justify the excuse. I don't care about small game, shoot a rock at it if you want, 2 inches of flesh to kill something is a lot different than 16 to 30.

So by your argument you would go bear hunting with match bullets as well? Let me know how that works out for ya.

Just to be clear about my point, match bullets will kill deer, match bullets will kill elk, match bullets will kill any other animal but they are too unreliable to do so consistently. As hunters we have a moral requirement to use a round that will reduce the chance simply wounding the animal or destroying it to the point it ends up on the tree behind it. $.15 in my mind is worth it.

Last edited:
    coldboremiracle,

Thanks you cleared up almost all of it but I would like to add one other inaccuracy...

On the Berger bullet, the hunting jacket is not thicker... originally there was the Berger VLD. It became clear that people were using them with great success hunting... many times at longer ranges and lower impact velocities that a bonded or solid would not expand, acting much like a FMJ. It was also known that some target shooters were complaining that the heavy for caliber bullets when used in large over bored cartridges with fast twist rifling, were not making it to the targets. That was when we saw the beginning of the target line, around 4 years ago, which has the thicker jacket to keep the bullet together. The hunting bullet is the original design... A year or two later Berger acquired the company making the J4 jacket and shortly thereafter we started seeing a large array of new designs coming from them including the tactical line.

I'm still out and about but I would like to share that the deer is cut up and meat damage wasn't bad at all. I took a high shoulder shot (meaning very high, tippy top, spine level) so the deer would drop even if the bullet didn't fragment. I did this for the sole purpose of getting an idea how the bullet act before taking a typical shoulder or behind the shoulder shot. The left shoulder that the bullet entered at the very top of didn't have an ounce of meat loss. I did lose about a 6" section of blackstrap, but I'll take that any day over not recovering a deer (which I've had happen with the most expensive Barnes and swift HUNTING bullets).

Unfortunately the deer didn't cooperate much last night and I only saw a mama and her two yearlings. The next one though is going in the vitals behind the shoulder. Seeing the exact same destruction path I got every single time with a high shoulder shot and Scenars makes me pretty confident it's going to enter and blow up in the vitals which the Scenars did consistently. Hopefully I can update this thread later in the week after I go back out, in the mean time hopefully others can contribute results with these bullets as well.

We all know (the ones who dun it) that a lot of match bullets perform consistently on game and don't ever pencil through and the purpose of this thread is to document the behavior of these bullets for others who may be curious.

I spent half my life in Colorado and we never took shots that far. To big of a chance of simply wounding the animal and the energy most rounds have at that distance decrease the chances of a good kill.
    There is always a chance of wounding an animal if you aren't prepared for the shot, regardless of the range.

Like I said, a hunting bullet with a similar weight and BC does not require a new load workup and if you buy a box of 50 that gives you enough to verify your load before you go hunting. How difficult is that.. really?
    Yes like you said, I saw that. As I also mentioned shooting the same bullet I always do costs me nothing more, and the shooter will be much more confident shooting the same ammunition as always.

$30.50 for 50 or .62 cents a bullet

Nosler AccuBond Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 180 Grain Bonded Spitzer

$47.50 for 100 or .475 cents each.

Berger Target Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 185 Grain Hollow Point

.15 cents a piece difference is not a real premium considering a box of hunting bullets usually lasted me 2 years.
    Didn't bother reading into that, I paid 24.95 for a box of 100 today. The same exact bullets I shoot every day, and likely the only bullets my barrel will see in its lifetime. The same bullet I shoot deer and elk with at pretty much any given range inside 800yds depending on the conditions.

EXACTLY! They are unreliable! That is my argument. I agree, shot placement is key, but so is penetration and when a bullet frags you don't get the penetration.
    Is this your professional opinion? or the results of your vast history of hunting with match bullets? Because it directly goes against what myself and many, many others have experienced. Perhaps you can show some evidence backing your statements.....
    Most of the elk I have killed the bullet never made it through the other side of the animal, but I have always used bullets designed to retain their weight. In a lot of cases it was the hydrostatic shock that killed the animal. I have had shots where I said to myself "he should not have died from this shot so suddenly" and that was before I understood how hydrostatic shock worked. Some of my cleanest kills were when the bullet retained the majority of its mass and did not exit the animal. On impact they drop to their knees, end of episode.
    That is odd, the "inferior" match bullets that I shoot have completely passed through the elk I have shot in 6 out of 7 times at 4-600yds too. They must be fragging upon exiting the animal.

So by your argument you would go bear hunting with match bullets as well? Let me know how that works out for ya.
    I would in a second, it would be a big one too. Pat Sinclair has shot em with a .220 swift, probably shooting a little bitty match bullet too.

Just to be clear about my point, match bullets will kill deer, match bullets will kill elk, match bullets will kill any other animal
    Well said.

Last edited:

I'm guessing if the shot placement has been something other than high shoulder, say heart/ lungs or CNS, there wouldn't have been much meat damage.

The argument is that they expand unpredictably.

How dare you speak such sacrilege?!?!?!

There is a whole thread dedicated to this same subject, lots of evidence:
    http://www.snipershide.com/shooting.../106997-post-your-smk-match-bullet-kills.html

Plenty of dead critters in there that don't look like they're going to jump ans walk off anytime soon. I will say though, I only used SMK's a few times and stopped because I had inconsistencies in performance with them. Scenars, Amax's, and Nosler CC's however have been perfectly reliable for me.

That would be BS. There are more "my Barnes poked through" and "my (insert "hunting" bullet here) fragmented" posts than there are "my match bullet didn't work" posts. The problem is a few idiots believe everything they read in magazines like field and stream which are articles from editors who are writers, not ballisticians, and don't even test there theories. Not to mention are paid by these companies to promote their products.

At the end of the day most bullets are going to bring home meat if the shooter isn't a dumbass. Even a properly placed FMJ is going to drop them in their tracks but you better hit the top of the shoulder or head. Some bullets work better than others though and it has been proven over and over again that many match type bullets work great on game.

Its no argument, ALL bullets expand differently. There are so many factors that effect the way a bullet opens (or doesn't) it can and will happen to any and all types of bullets. That is why I shoot the bullets that fly the best, and hit where I aim, and those bullets typically are match bullets.

I went through lots of this while debating about hunting with Amax bullets. There seems to be tons of differing opinions about the ethics of hunting/match bullet use on game. Fortunately for me, SGKs fly best through my stick. Do whatever makes you sleep well at night. I'm sure that if an arrow can do this, any bullet is fine:

Happy hunting all...(had to sneak the brag in there)

Fortunately for me, SGKs fly best through my stick.

That is great, but the difference is a SMK flies better than a SGK all else being equal. Same goes with other brands too, the higher BC match bullets will fly farther better faster than their Game king equivalent. But shoot what you are best with. That is what puts meat in the pot.

That is great, but the difference is a SMK flies better than a SGK all else being equal. Same goes with other brands too, the higher BC match bullets will fly farther better faster than their Game king equivalent. But shoot what you are best with. That is what puts meat in the pot.

BC wise, your point is absolutely true. Real world results, my rifle shoots SMKs like shit compared to SGKs... Assuming that my rifle shot sub .2 MOA groups consistently with SMKs (it does .2 MOA repeatably with SGKs, I think the SMK issue is one of barrel timing and I see no reason to even attempt to improve upon .2 MOA :D), I would still choose the SGKs as I personally believe in choosing a bullet designed for controlled expansion in a hunting application (all else being close to equal).

I think it is important to acknowledge that my opinion is theoretical and I would have a difficult time measuring a difference in terminal performance on game, assuming equal shot placement. Always nice to hear from you CBM...

There seems to be tons of differing opinions about the ethics of hunting/match bullet use on game.

This is the problem, not the bullets performance. The opinions are only that, opinions, typically from armchair commandos who have not tried it and have in there head its only suitable for target shooting because that's what it says on the box. It's stupid. People who are still living off a stubborn opinion are the only reason this myth is still alive. It has been proven time and time again they work and they work just as good as a bullet that says "hunting" on the box. I posted up a picture of a deer that only moved from where it stood because it rolled there like it got hit by a fucking bus and some jackass feels the need to go full retard saying match bullets won't kill and they kill too much and damage too much meat all under the same breath. This is the problem, people with no experience, only an opinion formed from other BS opinions.

Keep in mind we used to kill animals larger than deer with sharpened sticks, then arrows with sharpened rocks projected at extremely low velocities from primitive bows, then muskets with a low velocity lead ball. Somehow the human race fed itself and grew. These methods are still used today and some of them nearly as primitive as they were. Methods which lethality wise pail in comparision to a hi speed FMJ through the heart/lungs. Now we are splitting hairs over a bullet type because of opinions of people who don't understand.

I've used nothing but Berger VLD's (Target 130's & 168's) and Hybrids (140's) in my rifles since 2009 and I've never lost an animal yet. I've shot deer from 30 yards out to 700 yards and I've never had one go more than 50-75 yards ever and many were dropped in their tracks. To each their own. Everyone seems to have an opinion on this issue of target bullets on game. From what I can observe, most (not all) of the people who preach the "ethics" issue that you should not use target/match bullets are older gentlemen (50+ years and old). You can draw your own conclusions as to why this may be. Old habits die hard is all I'm going to hint here.

We argue about what bullet will or won't reliably kill an animal and yet bowhunters are killing them with pointed sticks everyday. Nobody is bustin thier balls about ethical cutting diameters.

Just to add fuel to the "ethics" fire......I watched a girl yesterday eveing shoot a doe at just under 200yds with a .22-250 shooting a 45gr Winchester "white box" value pack hollow point. The doe literally never took a step. She melted in her tracks.......so once again, shot placement rules all.

One other thing, anyone who wants to argue the effectiveness of "match" bullets on game, just take a look at all the animals, trophy animals, Pat Sinclair has killed with "match" bullets.

Im planning on using the 185 hunting vld on whitetail this season. I will post my results, hopefully :) To all you match bullet haters, i've seen a few deer shot with a premium hunting bullets that never where found. Like Graham said, its all about shot placement. Some bullets/calibers are a bit more forgiving than others, but you still have to make it count.

From what I can observe, most (not all) of the people who preach the "ethics" issue that you should not use target/match bullets are older gentlemen (50+ years and old).

Sometimes it sucks being and old white guy...

A lot of my experiences are based on a lot of empirical evidence collected over the years. "controlled expansion" has always delivered the best results for me and has always been a lot less messy. I have never taken an animal where a big section was mutilated. But I have always used a certain amount of reserve and control taking a shot.

For me hunting is actually hunting the animal rather than trying to shoot at it from some great distance and risk wounding it rather than killing it.

Just one thing to throw into the discussion... the best pistol bullets for self defense are those that exhibit controlled expansion. I am sure most rational men will agree on that.

But that does not seem to apply in this discussion and I am curious as to why not? Is it because an explosive kill, the obliterating of flesh, satisfies some part of manhood and gives the individual a chest beating moment? The animal is dead and that is the main point right?

A real hunter can kill with a bow, a real hunter can have a clean kill with a SGK after stocking his prey... Splattering an animal all over a tree because you had a shot... To me is not hunting. It is simply killing with all sport and ethics removed from the equation.

A successful hunt was a real honor shared among friends. Now it seems to be a way to vent testosterone frustration. If you are a "hunter" and use match bullets, fine. No point in going back and forth... but IMHO the real art of hunting is becoming somewhat lost.

But that does not seem to apply in this discussion and I am curious as to why not? Is it because an explosive kill, the obliterating of flesh, satisfies some part of manhood and gives the individual a chest beating moment? The animal is dead and that is the main point right?

A real hunter can kill with a bow, a real hunter can have a clean kill with a SGK after stocking his prey... Splattering an animal all over a tree because you had a shot... To me is not hunting. It is simply killing with all sport and ethics removed from the equation.

A successful hunt was a real honor shared among friends. Now it seems to be a way to vent testosterone frustration. If you are a "hunter" and use match bullets, fine. No point in going back and forth... but IMHO the real art of hunting is becoming somewhat lost.

Where are you getting the impression of this overkill attitude? Nobody else has said a word about taking pride in destroying anything, or beating their chests about it. Not everybody wants or has the time to take these perfect predetermined shots that produce clean, concentric, and uniform wound channels only within a certain range, and with the correct caliber and bullet type as you are insinuating. Hunting is to go in search of something, and if you play your cards right, you get it. Weren't you just accusing Graham for being condescending? Looking down your nose at anybody who hunts differently than you......

Where are you getting the impression of this overkill attitude?

Reading the thread.

Not everybody wants or has the time to take these perfect predetermined shots that produce clean, concentric, and uniform wound channels only within a certain range, and with the correct caliber and bullet type as you are insinuating.

I agree with the want part.

Hunting is to go in search of something, and if you play your cards right, you get it.

And I say...

To me that is not hunting. It is simply killing with all sport and ethics removed from the equation.

Weren't you just accusing Graham for being condescending? Looking down your nose at anybody who hunts differently than you......

Nope, stating my opinion. Perhaps you missed this part of my post:

If you are a "hunter" and use match bullets, fine. No point in going back and forth... but IMHO the real art of hunting is becoming somewhat lost.

LOL no condescending tone at all.

Sorry you read it that way but honestly, no, none was intended. I think you read way to much into what I was saying and perhaps some of it stems from the serve I gave Graham?? A good opportunity for you to jump down my ass?

This is a question, you replied to it as if it were a statement.

Is it because an explosive kill, the obliterating of flesh, satisfies some part of manhood and gives the individual a chest beating moment?

The main argument to using match bullets seems to be because of the accuracy, but also because of the devastating effects. I am not arguing the accuracy part, but I am arguing the devastating effects. I have never, ever, had an animal that I shot where big chunks of it were missing. That is not required to have a good hunt.

Look at the nice buck Infinity got with is bow- That is a fine hunt worthy of far more bragging rights than the OP's picture. If I was Infinity, I'd frame that picture and hang it on the wall. The OP's picture? Nope.

I am not going to apologize for my opinion, I don't need to. There are others in the thread that understand exactly where I am coming from.

Just one thing to throw into the discussion... the best pistol bullets for self defense are those that exhibit controlled expansion. I am sure most rational men will agree on that.

In two words Impact Velocity... well add to that two more, Over Penetration.

A lot of handgun ammo for defense is geared (I assume) to FBI tests in hopes of gaining favor for police/security contracts (could also be manufacture liability concerns I suppose) . When you slow a bullet down its effectiveness also goes down. Most defensive loads now have big open cavities designed to slow that bullet down once it hits but it’s generally only going 900-1200fps at the muzzle to begin with in hopes of stopping within 9-12 inches of gelatin. It’s a win/win, good for liability and gunshot victims cause chances are high they will survive unless something truly vital was in the direct path of that bullet.

I hunt with a handgun and sabot shooting muzzleloader as well as a rifle. One thing I have noticed with a handgun and pistol bullet launching muzzleloader, if the impact velocity is high... say above 1400ish, one shot drops are common or they may make it 2 or 3 steps before expiring. Once you get out there 50-75 yards and your velocity drops to near the speed of sound they are going to travel after taking one through the chest cavity. In this case you want to be like a bowhunter and wait 20-30 minutes to let them expire, so as to not push them into an adrenalin dump run. The internal damage is also a lot different. You have strawberry jam verses intact organs with a hole punched through them. If you want a great one shot man stopper try and find some old (and they will be old) 357’s 125 grain bullets loaded to the old 1500-1600fps range... just be sure of what is behind anything you shoot because you’re going to be hitting it too. I run my 357 and 44mag barreled contender at around 1800fps and muzzleloader with a 45 bullet at 1850, not much takes a step after impact if it’s within 40 yards.

Last edited:
    In two words Impact Velocity... well add to that two more, Over Penetration.

A lot of handgun ammo for defense is geared (I assume) to FBI tests in hopes of gaining favor for police/security contracts (could also be manufacture liability concerns I suppose) . When you slow a bullet down its effectiveness also goes down. Most defensive loads now have big open cavities designed to slow that bullet down once it hits but it’s generally only going 900-1200fps at the muzzle to begin with in hopes of stopping within 9-12 inches of gelatin. It’s a win/win, good for liability and gunshot victims cause chances are high they will survive unless something truly vital was in the direct path of that bullet.

I hunt with a handgun and sabot shooting muzzleloader as well as a rifle. One thing I have noticed with a handgun and pistol bullet launching muzzleloader if the impact velocity is high... say above 1400ish one shot drops are common or they may make it 2 or 3 steps before expiring. Once you get out there 50-75 yards and your velocity drops to near the speed of sound they are going to travel after taking one through the chest cavity, in this case you want to be like a bowhunter and wait 20-30 minutes to let them expire so as to not push them into an adrenalin dump run. The internal damage is also a lot different. You have strawberry jam verses intact organs with a hole punched through them. If you want a great one shot man stopper try and find some old (and they will be old) 357’s 125 grain bullets loaded to the old 1500-1600fps range... just be sure of what is behind anything you shoot because you’re going to be hitting it too. I run my 357 and 44mag barreled contender at around 1800fps and not much takes a step after impact if it’s within 35 yards.

I agree with all of that.

There is a difference between the depth of a human body and a bull elk with a 30 inch girth but the principle in the same, you are going to need that higher penetration and a good expanding bullet gives you excellent terminal effects and the higher velocity gives you the deep penetration. It is basically doing the same thing as a pistol bullet but with deeper penetration. The ideal objective is the bullet expands, delivers 100% of its energy, stays inside the animal, and the internal damage and/or hydrostatic shock kills the animal instantly. When you have a projectile that delivers inconsistent results, you take more of a chance of that adrenalin dump from a severe wound that does not kill the animal. That is a bad kill, a waste of meat, and is ultimately, inhumane.

The potential of an adrenalin dump is definitely a good reason to strive for maximum terminal effects. Meat tastes like crap from an animal that has been severely wounded and did not die quickly.

The whole point of a good bow shot is the animal bleeds to death but the initial shock isn't there so hopefully you do not get that adrenalin in the meat. Getting shot with a bow is like getting a shot at the doctors office, you don't really feel it like you would if your leg gets blown off. Having a razor sharp broadhead slicing up the vitals is key to an arrows success and relatively "shock free". Totally different killing principle. Knife wounds can be more deadly than a bullet wound.

If you want to see detailed match bullet meat damage, or lack thereof, check out my post’s here

I do agree there are the good kills with match bullets, I am not saying there isn't. My opinion is not "all match bullets will perform badly", it is the consistency that I question.

In regards to Amax bullets, I get the impression they behave more like a ballistic tip hunting bullet than a hollow point match bullet.

Curious though, why do you hang the animals head up? All the animals I have killed we hung head down with their necks cut so they could bleed out better and more thoroughly. How do you get the blood out of the meat before it congeals when they are hung head up?

In a lot of cases it was the hydrostatic shock that killed the animal.

I don't care about small game, 2 inches of flesh to kill something is a lot different than 16 to 30.

This would be your hydrostatic shock in less 2 inches of flesh, no?!?
    Brought to you by another 140 amax after traveling 100 yards.

ALVIN, DON’T SIT ON THE BACK STOP!
    012-1.jpg

Curious though, why do you hang the animals head up? All the animals I have killed we hung head down with their necks cut so they could bleed out better and more thoroughly. How do you get the blood out of the meat before it congeals when they are hung head up?

No real reason other than that’s the way the guys have been doing it long before I was part of the group. I do my own cutting, everyone else has it done for them. I might have to try that next year and see if it makes any difference

Last edited:
    This would be your hydrostatic shock in less 2 inches of flesh, no?!?

LOL, no, I don't think that fits the textbook definition of hydrostatic shock, there was no shock felt, as far as that squirrel is concerned, he thinks he is still alive.