• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Berger 210gn performance on game

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
I hunted with a mate on Friday who shot a Sambar hind with a 300/378 Weatherby and 210 grain Bergers @ M.V. 3250fps.
Now these bullets didn't seem to penetrate very well. Anyone have any other experience with these projectiles on game?

Pictured below is my mate with his Sambar deer hind taken at 450 yards.

a-004-Medium.jpg

Re: Berger 210gn performance on game

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks dead to me?</div></div>

lol...

Exactly.

Bergers are not made to penetrate all the way through game.

They penetrate 2-3" then grenade inside the animal. They perform wonderfully in that task.

I shot several whitetail and a few hogs this past season with 210 VLD's out of a 300WM and I was extremely pleased. Dead in their tracks. I also shot 3 deer with 160 VLD's out of my 7WSM. They also dropped them in their tracks. Longest shot was 575 yds and closest was about 30 yds. I did hit one hog at 3 steps in the head. It had blue eyes!

The ONLY VLD bullet I have shot at game that has NOT left an exit was a young buck I shot last year at 260 yards head on. Everything else at any angle has exited from .243 80 gr, to 210 gr. .30 cals. The performance is amazing. Both terminally speaking and ballistically as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks dead to me?</div></div>

lol...

Exactly.

Bergers are not made to penetrate all the way through game.

They penetrate 2-3" then grenade inside the animal. They perform wonderfully in that task. </div></div>

Do they have a timed fuse or something? It must be tiny. Damn they are clever over there at Berger.

My only experience with them has been a favorable one. Last October on my Wyoming elk hunt, I shot a bull at 411 yds the bullet nicked a rib going in, cut the lungs like you would a pizza and nicked a rib going out. Helen Keller could have followed the blood trail. Animal went 60 yds and piled up. POI is the same for my AMAX load

I reload them for myself and for three other of my buddies, all shooting .300 RUMS...we use them on everything from Coues deer to elk and bear. They have done the job on all of them. And even saved my ass from a mountain lion that creeped up behind me and I shot her 30 yards away smack in the chest. Didn't exit went in exploded and she folded up right there, thank goodness, her chest cavity was a damn trauma disaster.

*edit note, one time the 210 exited when I shot a coyote in the neck at about 80 yards, but hey it was still a dead 'yote