• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Berger .260 bullets

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
Berger recommends 1/8 twist for their 130 grain hunting bullet. My 700 has 1/9. Would ther be that big of a diffrence? I have heard they wouldnt be accurate at all but thats why I am asking you guys. I believe I am going to go with barnes tsx but i have been giving these bullets a look also.

Re: Berger .260 bullets

The 130 and 140 are the same shape; the 140 will stabilize in a slower twist due to the same form factor but higher bullet mass.

I've never heard of success from a 9tw in cold, low altitude regions with those bullets but I will completely admit that I never tried them myself.

The miller approach is pretty reasonable here, I just measured the OAL on some 140 Hunting VLD's I have on the shelf and I show them at Sd = 0.98 from a 9tw @ 2800fps at 0' DA but the 130's are only 0.91

Long story short, I don't think that it's going to work for you.

LW260200M004.jpg

This rifle has a Rock 1-9" and shoots the 130gr VLD's pretty well.

Excuse me, but, am I wrong in assuming this is a "factory" 700 you are referring to? My factory M700 260 puts 4 outa 5 140 Amax in the same hole @100. I say give the 130 Bergers a try, IMHO I don't think they would do bad. Can't hurt to try them out..

Not exactly what you're looking for but may help. Berger recommends a 1:9 for the 95gr 6mm VLD. I shoot them in the .2's and .3's out of a factory 26in 1:9.25tw Savage. My friend shoots the same bullet with the same results out of a Sako, 26in, 1:10twist. If you're interested in them you should not be discouraged because of the label on the box. Give it a try and good luck!

Pretty far....50 thousandths. I tried them from right at the lands and kept working back. I have a lot of room in my AI mags when the throat starts to receed...

Hello,
My name is Melesia Cisneros, I am part of Berger Bullets Marketing Team and I noticed your question so I thought I would help. We list a twist rate that will produce the best stability in all situations. Factors like temperature, elevation, and muzzle velocity will affect how a bullet will stabilize. The twist rates we recommend will give you the best stability at the slowest twist possible. The recommended twist is based on a range of velocity so it is a guideline not an absolute requirement. Spinning a bullet faster than necessary can amplify any inconsistency in the bullet. Since we use J4 jackets, you can shoot Berger Bullets in faster twist than what is listed. We list the slowest twist rate needed because we want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of a rifle.

Also, some posters have suggested testing some of these bullets in your rifle and we have a great way of doing that. We have partnered with a company called Bullet Proof. They offer bullet sample packs that contain 12 bullets for convenience and economy. I have provided a link to Sinclair's website where you can order these packs. Please let me know if you need any further assistance you can reach me at melesia.cisnerosbergerbullets.com or 714-447-5428. Have a great day!

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=44877/Product/BULLETPROOF-BERGER-BULLET-SAMPLES

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melesia_cisneros</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,
My name is Melesia Cisneros, I am part of Berger Bullets Marketing Team and I noticed your question so I thought I would help. We list a twist rate that will produce the best stability in all situations. Factors like temperature, elevation, and muzzle velocity will affect how a bullet will stabilize. The twist rates we recommend will give you the best stability at the slowest twist possible. The recommended twist is based on a range of velocity so it is a guideline not an absolute requirement. Spinning a bullet faster than necessary can amplify any inconsistency in the bullet. Since we use J4 jackets, you can shoot Berger Bullets in faster twist than what is listed. We list the slowest twist rate needed because we want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of a rifle.

Also, some posters have suggested testing some of these bullets in your rifle and we have a great way of doing that. We have partnered with a company called Bullet Proof. They offer bullet sample packs that contain 12 bullets for convenience and economy. I have provided a link to Sinclair's website where you can order these packs. Please let me know if you need any further assistance you can reach me at melesia.cisnerosbergerbullets.com or 714-447-5428. Have a great day!

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=44877/Product/BULLETPROOF-BERGER-BULLET-SAMPLES </div></div>

TAG

To whom it may concern, the barnes bullets are s__T if you dont think so take a handful of some and weigh each one, then get your caliper out and measure each one, its hard to consistent with an inconsistent product.. Just my opinon. Try the cutting edge bullets there the best for copper solids and very consistent