• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 300 Win Mag 215 Grain Hybrid Target Factory Ammo: What kind of brass?

mckchome

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2017
Minnesota
heritagemedianetwork.com
I'm one of those folks on the hunt for elusive "best" 300 WM brass. Norma seems always be out of stock. I have been thinking about buying some of this Berger factory ammo (see subject line above) but was never sure about the brass quality. It isn't listed on the website:

Does anyone know what kind of brass Berger is using for their 300 Win Mag Match Grade Ammo? Any field reports? Thanks!

I have a hand full of boxes of the Berger ammo. They are using Norma brass.

Reactions: 1J04
I have been shooting Nosler Brass and it has been very good. I have 4 firings on it and no swell at the base just above the belt like Federal does. I have a Willis collet die and have not needed to use it. Been a very accurate round also have shot 90+ scores at 1000 yard matches in 8 to 10 mph wind.

Brass Nosler
Powder H-1000 @ 74.5
Primer 215M
Bullet 215 Berger
AVG Spread 10 FPS
AVG FPS 2851

Last edited:
I have been shooting Nosler Brass and it has been very good. I have 4 firings on it and no swell at the base just above the belt like Federal does. I have a Willis collet die and have not needed to use it. Been a very accurate round also have shot 90+ scores at 1000 yard matches in 8 to 10 mph wind.

Brass Nosler
Powder H-1000 @ 74.5
Primer 215M
Bullet 215 Berger
AVG Spread 10 FPS

That's a pretty good looking load from my angle. I have typically been shooting the 225 Hornady ELX for hunting purposes, and it works quite well. What are you velocities?

Maybe they initially used Norma but I doubt they would continue that practice once the business took off.

The 800 rd. of ABM 230gr 300 win mag I have. Has it's own headstamp

But it may have changed at some point in time.. may be time to compare lot numbers lol

ETA:
Or maybe they where using Norma brass labeled ABM ..

Last edited:
and yet, in checking 3 diff calibers:
Berger 300WM 215s - Headstamped Norma
ABM 300NM 230s - Headstamped Lapua
Berger 338LM - no name, some small logo that I'm not familiar with
Yes I’m sure they have to switch brands around depending on what’s available. I think that Norma is one of the only high end brass companies that actually does the belted magnums. That’s probably why Norma is the brass of choice for berger. I do wish that Lapua and even Peterson would do 300 WinMag.

Has anyone ever tried the Gunwerks 300 win mag brass? I was looking at buying some to try but wasn’t sure if I should get Norma instead.

I always thought (and was told) that Lapua doesn’t make 300win mag brass and that the older stuff marked “Lapua” is actually Norma stamped for Lapua?

We got thease when ABM first started making ammo.. check out the lot number... could it be norma maid the brass and just labeled it ABM for them?

In one of my 300 wm 26" rifles I'm using...... ADG brass. 74.0 gr. of H1000. 215 Berger. 2846 average fps.

I just finished a 300wm build and I built it just for the 215 Berger. Brass has kind of been hard to find for me, I did score some sig brass and U had 100 pieces of new Nosler and some used WW and remington brass. I am using VV N570 powder and I started with the sig brass. It did ok but i could only get abt 80.3 grains of powder in it and I wasnt seeing any pressure at all. So I tried the Nosler, I could get 84 grains in it, I found the sweet spot to be 83 grains on both new brass and fireformed. Single digit ES and SD and velocity avg was 3072. Well pleased with this load and the Nosler brass. I also tried some remington with very similar results as the Nosler.

Lapua dose not make 300wm. Brass it is norma

Considering Nammo bought Berger, and also owns SK, Lapua, Vihtavouri, perhaps they have a deal with RUAG?

I believe Broz or Daniel over at Long Range Only said that ammo bought this year was Norma brass.