• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Berger 308 185 VLD for Hunting?

Re: Berger 308 185 VLD for Hunting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor, do you remember what you switched for what?

I believe Nosler says use the same data for both the bullets in question.

Thank you!

</div></div>

The NBT and the Accubond are interchangeable. </div></div>

I would surmise that the jacket material and the bearing surface lengths are the same then? Thank you sir!

</div></div>

Yeah. My load data, targets, and dead deer confirm it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, the original post was... about Berger 185 VLDs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any experiences here? </div></div>

Mk4: learn to scroll back through the previous pages of this forum to find older threads if you have trouble with the search function. </div></div>

Victor

I know how to use the search function...and I use it often.

I'm not going to bore you with all the time and keywords I used in trying to locate the information that I was looking for....which I doubt was there in the first place. Go back to the subject header. No where did I say, "Is it okay to use target bullets for hunting?" NO, it was about a specific bullet that is listed by Berger for hunting. Very simply, I was looking for feedback on that one thing......

wnroscoe came through with what I needed (and then some) in a short span. As to all of this other collateral garbage...well what can I say.

Both 858 and I have brought up Accubond/NBT being interchangable on several threads,besides,the NBT does expand at distance even on a smaller target,lot of fun on Rockchucks,do not use the NBT on deer IMO,or a Red Fox if you want to save the pelt.I learned that the hard way.
As far as long distance hunting,I have not seen one post on this site advocating hunting big game from 500-2000yds.2000yds?Show me the post.I can personally vouch for SMACK (SH Member)killing a large buck at 560yds last year with a 375 Ultramag and a Nikon 6-18 Buckmasters shooting an Accubond.This was field conditions also_Only transport in Tichenal Canyon is shoe leather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The "experts" who target shoot using live animals to "prove" they can kill at 500-2000 yards are not hunters in the traditional sense of hunting. Anyone who disputes the fact that the chance of wounding an animal at those ranges is far greater than at 300 or less is just dead wrong. Further, it would appear they lack basic hunting skills a or are just to lazy to get out of the truck or off the ATV to actually stalk the animal. \</div></div>

I'd like to see you say that to Shawn Carlock at DE (http://www.defensiveedge.net/)

To the OP many people on longrangehunting.net use match bullets and seem to be having very good success. In the end it seems it's about good shot placement.

Assuming you are able to do your part, the bullet in question will undoubtably do its. You will be impressed.

I did an impromptu test last week. A 155 VLD and 180 Scirocco into phone books. The two loads in my AR-10 are VERY accurate. At 200 yards the "wound" channel is the exact same depth. The shape of the cavity is different however almost identical in volume. Weight retention of the Scirocco was about 140 gr and the 155 about 60 gr. The 180 is 2645 at the muzzle and the 155 2915 at the muzzle. Certainly not apples to apples, but kind of gives you an idea about what will happen when the bullet enters a given media. I have shot different VLDs into game animals and the results are quite predictable. 2-3 inches of penetration prior to any expansion. The channel opens considerably as the bullet sheds weight and continues for quite some distance. I've never recovered any bullet I've fired at a game animal. The bullet in question is a fine choice.

Just so we all know that the now banned "Rootmanslim" was a handle stealing coward, here is the picture he could not supply because he was a liar.

DSCN2942.jpg

Also some "ladies" out in my driveway this morning. Yes "Viginia" you can get closer than 600 yards to an Antelope !

DSCN2943.jpg

JLM, that's interesting. Probably why Bumble didn't immediately say "Rootmanslim" was his current screname elsewhere but rather 'an old ebay account".

Looks like he's been shown the door enough on other boards that he felt a name change was in order. Probably also explains why he has a city listed in his profile that he doesn't live in. Doesn't that violate board rules for the forsale section since he's lying about where he really lives?

ETA: Looks as though your license plate is "Pinedale", why isn't it "Cora"?

Well 858, unlike you, I am not on welfare so I can actually afford more than a room at the YMCA. You can come to the Sublette County deeds office and see just how much property I own and where it is. Just in case you missed it, that is not a current WY license plate, that is on the bumper and blacked out for obvious reasons. Are you really this mentally impaired or is it just an act, like the Elton John mask?

BTW, while you're here come and see my trophy room.....giggle.

Hey Lawrence since you are handing out invites, can I stop in and see the trophy room? I can be there in a few hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also some "ladies" out in my driveway this morning. Yes "Viginia" you can get closer than 600 yards to an Antelope !

</div></div>

neener neener neener... an um.. big deal, wow you've antelope in your driveway. So does everyone else in Wyoming. Not hard when speed goats out number people significantly.

concerning though... you refer to them as ladies. I guess Key West does suit you.

I'll be using my 185VLDs this season on a deer hunt, simply b/c they are so damn accurate out of my gun and I don't feel like changing.

I'll report back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be using my 185VLDs this season on a deer hunt, simply b/c they are so damn accurate out of my gun and I don't feel like changing.

I'll report back. </div></div>

Are you using a .308 or a 300WM? Been thinking about trying the Bergers in my 300WM,but the factory bbl has some overpressure issues and guys that shoot the Bergers tell me they don't like jump at all.Tried some Lapua 185's seated way out,too much pressure for a decent velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well 858, unlike you, I am not on welfare so I can actually afford more than a room at the YMCA. You can come to the Sublette County deeds office and see just how much property I own and where it is. Just in case you missed it, that is not a current WY license plate, that is on the bumper and blacked out for obvious reasons. Are you really this mentally impaired or is it just an act, like the Elton John mask?

BTW, while you're here come and see my trophy room.....giggle. </div></div>
Y M C A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

Do you really want to play?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just so we all know that the now banned "Rootmanslim" was a handle stealing coward, here is the picture he could not supply because he was a liar.

DSCN2942.jpg

Also some "ladies" out in my driveway this morning. Yes "Viginia" you can get closer than 600 yards to an Antelope !

DSCN2943.jpg
</div></div>

BOHICA

Do you really want to play? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

Well I just dont know what to make of that. I really think the Nosler Partition is a better choice for a hunting bullet anyway. I was going to try the Barnes but Mr. H really isnt being very nice. Victor I cant believe you take him hook line and sinker. Next thing you know this cook will be telling you guys that I stole his
elk .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new world record Elk was killed with a 22 magnum! </div></div>

Is that the one you killed Larry?