• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 30cal 230 gr hybrid target range report.

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
Hi Guys,

I'm posting this in the beyond 1000Y forum instead of the range report report forum because I think more folks will benefit from the info presented in this location.

I also copy and pasted this report and moved it here because Berger bullets has two types of 30 caliber 230 grain bullets. I caused some confusion on another thread not realizing this. The one I'm using is the hybrid target PN# 30428.

I was chosen for a bullet test by Berger bullets so the last couple weeks I've been testing the new Berger 215gr and 230gr "hybrid bullets".

Here is a email I sent Berger bullets with a "quick" load work up and small test at distance from 300Y to 1 mile. I set aside approximately 50 rounds of each weight to work a load up with so I could use the other 50 for a brief long range test.I edited the report here and there.

I finished the testing on the Berger 230 and 215 grain bullets.

Some specs.

Rifle: SurgeonXL actioned custom rifle.Gunsmith was Glenn Pearce of Pearce custom rifles out of Cottonwood AZ.
Krieger barrel at 30"s with a 9 twist rate
McMillan Anschutz prone stock
Jewel trigger
Chambering 30-375R a wildcat cartridge based off 375 Ruger.

DSC00026.jpg

The powder I used for the most part in the testing was Hodgedon H-1000. The primers were Remington 9 1/2. I seated the 230's out far enough so the rifling engraved a square onto the ogive for single feeding only. I seated the 215's for feeding from the Accuracy International magazine. The throating is set for 240 SMK's shot out of the mag. The jump was at least .1" which is a huge jump.

I used a Farley front joystick rest in conjunction with a bald Eagle rear bag off the ground F-class style for all ladder and group testing.During the AZPRC I used a Harris bipod.

I started off with a 300 yard ladder test for both bullets letting the barrel cool approximately 4 minutes between shots. There was nearly a 4 grain spread in powder weight and a 150 fps spread in velocity. As you can see from the pics there was hardly any vertical for most of the shots which made it hard to pick a node to start with. This phenomenon hasn't happened before quite like this with the ladders I've done before. The spread is usually 4-5 inches of vertical. I assume it's because the bullets are either incredible accurate in the rifle or/and very forgiving with velocity ???

I wanted to use as little an amount of bullets as possible in load work up so I could test the rest at long range so I hastily made up some quick loads the best I could. In spite of this I got impressive accuracy.

Shown in this first pic is the ladder test with the 230 grain bullets. Note how most of the bullets (8shots) landed into 1" vertical. There's even 4 shots touching! The high left group was my first attempt at a group as the sun was going down. I did not choose it.

002-2.jpg

This second pic is the 2 groups I shot at 300Y with the 230's that I used to shoot at 1 mile. The paisters are 1". The left and middle group are only .5" and .6" CTC.Very small for 300Y.In fact the smallest 3 shot groups I've ever shot at 300Y. The average velocity was 2920 fps. SD for those 2 groups was 9 fps. The group on the right is with a max load of 81 grains of Hodgedon Retumbo. I only shot 4 of those but they were going 3004 fps average. The group in the black bull were the 215's that I shot the next day. The ES was too much so I didn't choose this load.

003-1.jpg

This pic is of the ladder test with the 215's at 300Y on the right and the group I chose to use on the left. The vertical is very small again for a ladder test and the 3 shot group is a hair over an inch which was also shot at 300Y. They were going 2890 fps average which is a light load for the rifle.

001-1.jpg

I tested the bullets last weekend at the AZPRC training day.

I had 40 rounds of the 230's to test. My self and a few friends shot all of them at the 1 mile steel. I was on the steel in 3 shots then proceeded to hit it 5 times in a row. Then a friend was on the steel in 2 shots and hit it twice. He was stoked because it was the first time he had shot at a mile. Later on after the barrel cooled I shot most of the rest at the steel. The spotter noticed I was hitting on the lower half of the plate which is 48"s long. It's interesting to note that I never hit the ground in front of the plate. That tells me that I was able to keep lets say all together 25 shots into approximately 20"s of total vertical at a 1 mile distance. That is amazing and surprised me! Also interesting is I noticed that it was much much easier to hit the plate than with my old load using 240SMK's at 2925 fps. Usually I hit to the left and right of the plate more because of the increased wind drift of the SMK's.

I used the 215's on the regular steel we use for the match from 400Y to 1055Y. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to get a load with low SD. Which caused me some problems with vertical at distance. I was still able to hit the steel though and noticed that I was holding .2-.3 mil less wind compared to my 6x47L comp rifle.That is a lot! I could hold on the edge of the 800Y steel and hit it!

Honestly I'm very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I plan on switching over to both of these bullets because they are the most accurate,forgiving and wind bucking bullets I've ever shot in this rifle.

Re: Berger 30cal 230 gr hybrid target range report.

This last week I worked up another load with Hodgedon Retumbo vs the H-1000 I used in the previous post with the same seating depth that I used in the previous post which has the ogive just kissing the lands. I settled on 79.5 grains with a average OAL of 3.770". The powder fills the case right up to the bottom of the neck and is very slightly compressed. The bullet goes down the case neck so the baring surface is halfway down the neck. When one group of 3 shots were touching at 200Y I called the load development good for now until I've shot a bunch at distance.

Recently I came to the conclusion my cheap chronograph is screwy so I'm not using it anymore. I shot a few shots through a friends same brand chrono and got a baseline velocity of 2990 fps. I'll start playing around with BC's and velocities over the next few times out and see if I can get everything to coincide with the Shooter ballistic program at different distances.

I tried 10 shots of the loads I had left of the 215's I used in the previous post at 961Y and the results were confirmed from earlier in the month. They obviously need some tweeking because there was a at least a foot of vertical. Just poor SD/ES is all.

It was time to go so we only shot 7 of the 230's at a 12" wide IPSC plate at 961Y. There was almost no vertical
grin.gif
and the plate was pretty easy to hit especially compared to my 6x47L in the same wind conditions.

The other thing that is impressive to me is at 6400 DA this current load stays sonic to over 2400Y. Sweet!

These bullets are just awesome!

Hey Bryan Litz,

What was the final conclusion you came to for the true BC of these. Is .380 G7 BC OK to use?

Thanks Eric and Bryan for taking care of us 30 cal guys!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your detailed report. I've been excited about making well designed heavy .30 cal bullets available for may years.

To answer your question, the G7 BC of the 230 OTM Hybrid is: .368, and the G7 BC of the 230 Target Hybrid is .380. For those who don't know the difference, the OTM Hybrid is a shorter nose, mag length option and the Target Hybrid is a longer nose design.

Take care,
-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve,

Thanks for your detailed report. I've been excited about making well designed heavy .30 cal bullets available for may years.

To answer your question, the G7 BC of the 230 OTM Hybrid is: .368, and the G7 BC of the 230 Target Hybrid is .380. For those who don't know the difference, the OTM Hybrid is a shorter nose, mag length option and the Target Hybrid is a longer nose design.

Take care,
-Bryan </div></div>

Thanks for responding to my question so quickly Bryan! Cool...all I have to do is determine the velocity with actual come ups then and start having fun.

I already tried these at a mile with exceptional results but in a couple weeks I'm trying 2200Y. I'll get back with my impressions shortly thereafter.

Thanks for the info Steve. I have been trying these at a little higher velocity, and they are working. I tried them in two 300 lapua improveds out to 1400 with good results. One of these guns really surprised me as it has an extremely long throat and I was jumping the hell out of the bullets.
I was pretty hesitant to try these because I have had problems in the past with Berger's heaviest for caliber bullets, but no blow ups thus far and both of these rifles have 500 plus rounds down them and neither throat looks pristine. Rough throats, fast twists, and high velocity have been a recipe for disaster in the past for me with Berger bullets, even the target versions. I think maybe they got things right with these....so far.

That's good info Eddybo.

They must have been going pretty fast out a 30-338L AI. Getting up there into Cheytac territory almost.

Thanks for sharing the news!

I had one of those freaky shooting days yesterday
crazy.gif

I just mounted up some new ARC rings and new HDMR scope with H-59 reticle. Even though it was later in the day I had to go sight the scope in and work on some dope. Just couldn't resist! last 3 shots touching in the middle of a 1" paister at 100Y so GTG.
grin.gif

I was shooting off the bipod and rear bag at around 12:15 in the afternoon trying to determine a true velocity for the 230's since my chrono is broken. Wind was 1-4 mph from 2 o'clock.There was enough mirage to be annoying but not too bad.

It took 3 shots before I hit the plate the first time and I missed here and there getting the wind right as it was dying down.

On the bottom right is a 5 shot group at 970Y with the scope elev dialed to 5.9 mils. The shot in the middle is from a 6 mil holdover with the scope put back to the 100Y zero. The rest on the plate were adjusting for wind and elevation with a break in between to let the barrel cool and adjust DA,velocity in the ballistic program.

Sometimes things go better than expected!

photobucket-2468-1320355501955.jpg

That is one very nice 5 shot group at 970 yards what did it end up measuring???

What is the recommended twist rate for the 230? Would they work in a barrel with a 1 in 10 twist?

Also, have you tried shooting them while seated to standard length as opposed to touching the rifling? If I recall, the Berger Hybrids was supposed to be friendly to jump.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocky Mountain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one very nice 5 shot group at 970 yards what did it end up measuring??? </div></div>

I hadn't measured it until a few minutes ago after I read your post.

It's approx 3.6" ctc at the widest point with 1.6" vertical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the recommended twist rate for the 230? Would they work in a barrel with a 1 in 10 twist?

Also, have you tried shooting them while seated to standard length as opposed to touching the rifling? If I recall, the Berger Hybrids was supposed to be friendly to jump.

Thanks </div></div>

A 10 twist is recommended.

I haven't tried jumping the 230's. I tried jumping the 215's and got good accuracy. The shape of the 215's is the same from the ogive forward. Berger has the OTM 230's primarily designed for mag length that I'd use but I think I'll just single load the 230's because I recently bought Teamsendit's SAKO TRG in 7mm RM throated for 180 vlds to use as a repeater.

Next time around after this barrel wears out I might order another bolt and have a 338L AI built off my Surgeon XL. We'll all see how Jeff's and LL's 338 bullet test goes in a few months and I'll make a decision from there.

Nice shooting Steve; that rig runs very well. I can se why you like the 30/375 Ruger.

JeffVN

Thanks Jeff,

Just one of those very rare days when stuff goes right ???

I'm going to email the gunsmith that pic. He'll get a big smile on his face.

Well I shot about 20 rounds at the 2200Y steel at the AZPRC.

I hit it once that I know of. The wind was from 1-3 oclock at 4-10 mph. The DA was 6000 which showed the 230 hybrids going subsonic at around 2190Y. The ground was moist from a recent storm so we couldn't make out many of the hits in the dirt to make proper corrections without the normal dust signature. The plate is large at 40" wide x 48" tall. It could be that I was hitting just on the other side of the plate but am unsure. I'd like to see how these bullets do at 2000Y and 2400Y to come to any more conclusions. Hopefully I can get that done here in few weeks.

I hit the small 1 mile plate a few times and hit the small 1079Y 10" plate 3 times in a row. The wind was getting me more than the vertical at these distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I shot about 20 rounds at the 2200Y steel at the AZPRC.

I hit it once that I know of. The wind was from 1-3 oclock at 4-10 mph. The DA was 6000 which showed the 230 hybrids going subsonic at around 2190Y. The ground was moist from a recent storm so we couldn't make out many of the hits in the dirt to make proper corrections without the normal dust signature. The plate is large at 40" wide x 48" tall. It could be that I was hitting just on the other side of the plate but am unsure. I'd like to see how these bullets do at 2000Y and 2400Y to come to any more conclusions. Hopefully I can get that done here in few weeks.

I hit the small 1 mile plate a few times and hit the small 1079Y plate 3 times in a row. The wind was getting me more than the vertical at these distances. </div></div>

I went out with a friend today for some ELR. Shooting with the 30-375R and a SAKO TRG42 in 7mmRM. I was primarily using the 230HB's and a few 215HB's in the 30 cal and 176 Cautaricio's in the 7mm. J shot 2 of his 338L's with Berger 300 grainers.

Wind was 3-9 mph coming from 1-2 O'clock and DA was 4600-4800.

The approx distances in yards were 1033,1550,1915 and 2397.Plates were a 14" wide plate at 1033,3' on the middle two circles and the 2397 was a little bigger,maybe 40".

1033 was easy for all rifles.
1550 was easy for all rifles. Didn't shoot the 7mm at a farther distance.

1915 provided some challenge but once we figured out the wind we hit it most of the time.

2397 was much harder to hit. I got it on the 2cnd shot with J's excellent spotting and wind call then hit again after 3-4 shots. Here's where I noticed some edge in the wind for the 338L. J pulled away at this distance and hit it a few more times than I. When we went to load up the plates there were 2 bouncers which hit sideways. Unclear who's shots they were. J had a strobe light rigged up to the plate at this distance which helped us to know when we hit the plate.

I mentioned way up in the thread that the Berger 215 grain load I had worked up had some vertical issues because of the hasty load work up I did. Just wanted to shoot em off instead of pulling bullets. Wouldn't you know it they shot friggen excellent today!?!?? 5 shots in a little tiny 3-4" cluster on the plate at 1033,just one big spat. At 1550 they did well too. It makes me think that the wind at the moment I was shooting during the AZPRC was causing the vertical issues???

Steve,

Curious about velocities and elevations between the 215's and the 230's. QL predicts 2875 for the 230 and 2950 for the 215 out of our 30" WM loaded really long. At those velocities, it's a tough call, elevation wise.

John

Yes,that is a tough call. Speed vs BC.

I didn't shoot the 215's past 1550Y yesterday but even though they were slowed down to 2890fps they still did well in the wind. I can't remember exactly but I think I held over 6 mils from the 1033Y zero of 6.6 mils to hit the 1550 plate.

On the drive back home yesterday I was thinking about the days events.

On the one hand these new High BC Berger bullets have transformed my 30 cal into a great little ELR cartridge out to 2000 yards. On the other hand it pales in comparison to my old 375CT at the 2397Y plate. Now that I've played around a little at past 2000Y distances with this bullet/cartridge combo I'm resigning myself to stick with 2000Y as the max distance to preserve barrel life.

Steve,

I agree with you. They are not even in the same league. I was absolutely convinced of that when I watched Joe Starnes put 3 rounds well under MOA on his called target <span style="font-style: italic">in wind</span> with his 375CT at 2950 yds.

But for a LOT less money, we now get to play further than ever before, and I'm OK with that.

John

I couldn't afford to feed that .375 monster anymore.

It's gotta better home now and I'm looking forward to seeing what barrel/projectile combo it ends up with in the future!

Quick report.

A couple weeks ago I shot the AZPRC ELR match and ended up taking first place with my good ol' 30-375R. I even hit the 2356Y steel which was the most satisfying moment of the day for me. Those Berger 230's rock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve,

Take care,
-Bryan </div></div>

Planning on switching to these for my match load in my .300 win mag. .380 G7 is redonculouse. Grafs doesn't stock them at the moment though
frown.gif

I just loaded up a bunch at 73 grs of H1000, doing just under 2700 fps out of a 26" Schneider 1:9.5. What kind of mv should I expect to achieve?

answered my own question. Here's the specs from Applied Ballistics. So I'm running about 90 fps faster, give or take. That's cool. 
Berger Hybrid 230 gr TARGET
24" barrel 2460
26" barrel 2603
28" barrel 2746
30" barrel 2889