• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Berger Bullets. Long and Close Range??

patrickd34

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
I have been wanting to try either the 190 or 210gr Berger VLD Hunting out of my 300wm and I have been curious as to how they perform at close to medium ranges 50-300yrds. I hunt in areas where both could are a real possiblity and im afraid of them just penciling through an animal and leaving small wounds. I know these are for long range and Ive seen what they can do but has anyone had any experience with these bullets at these ranges or ever recovered one from an animal and what do they do for expansion?

Re: Berger Bullets. Long and Close Range??

I just started loading 168gr. VLD's for my .308 this past deer season, in the hopes of possibly getting a long range kill on a Whitetail. I ended up shooting a 3 1/2 yr. old MO buck @ 40 yds. The bullet went in approx. 5" and DESTROYED his insides w/o exiting. His reaction was a 1st for a rifle shot deer, by me and I've killed well over 100. He shook, (absorbing all that energy) slowly walked 10-15 yds and tipped over like a bow shot deer. His tail twitched twice and that was the extent of it. So, although a single experience, I was impressed. I HAD been using Barnes 140gr. TSX's in my 6.5-.284 and having killed deer from 25-297 yds., I have yet to recover a bullet. Totally different bullet, totally different performance AND accuracy.

I've shot two deer at under 100 yds w 185 VLD's out of a 300WSM . The first was quartering away, bullet entered at the last rib angled to the off shoulder . Broke several ribs and guted the deer on impact. The second was broad side, bullet devastated the internals. sounded like a sloshing water bucket dragging her out. No exit in either case , I did find shards of the case against the skin on the first one.

Mike

The longest range I've used Berger VLDs for was a Pronghorn Antelope I shot at 292 yards with a 168 gr. Berger VLD out of a 300 Weatherby Magnum. I hit it in the chest and there was a red mist. Upon arrival at place of antelope death, there was a 6 to 8 foot swath of blood stained grass and a large exit wound.

I also took a Whitetail doe using 115 gr. Berger VLDs out of a 25/06 at an estimate range of 225 yards. This was an Ohio whitetail which is quite a bit bigger than the large dog sized whitetails running around parts of the U.S.A. The bullet entered the left rear leg and killed it.

The closest thing I've shot using VLDs was a Pronghorn Antelope at about 80 yards and it also died rapidly.