• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Berger Hybrids in 300 wsm

Blaktastic

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
Well it is getting nice out again so I'm getting stoked to get out and try out some loads with my 300 wsm. But first I have a couple questions regarding the different hybrids such as the 185 grain, 215 grain, and 230 grain. Looking at the bc of the 230 and 215 grain it seems all fine and dandy but they are REALLY big bullets so I am kind of concerned about getting them to clear for mag length in a short action. This brings me to the thought of the 185 hybrid. Would I be better off just using the 185s pushing over 3000 fps with a 28 inch barrel and R-17? Or should I sacrifice some fps for bc and risk being able to clear mag length with the heavier bullets?

Any advice would be awesome!

Re: Berger Hybrids in 300 wsm

It all really depends on your intended range and purpose, if you don't intend to go past 1000 yards, than the heavier bullets that retain their velocity longer don't really appeal. I'm currently working up loads for the 230gr. OTM hybrid to see what kind of velocity and accuracy I can get, but I'm not expecting more than maybe 2700fps with it out of a 24" tube.

the 215gr. Hybrids are a different story, If I can push those out fast enough, they'll be a great long range hitter, I've seen guys get 2950fps with the 208gr. Hornady AMAX with a 24" tube, so 2850-2900 with the 215gr. Hybrids should be possible for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all really depends on your intended range and purpose, if you don't intend to go past 1000 yards, than the heavier bullets that retain their velocity longer don't really appeal. I'm currently working up loads for the 230gr. OTM hybrid to see what kind of velocity and accuracy I can get, but I'm not expecting more than maybe 2700fps with it out of a 24" tube.

the 215gr. Hybrids are a different story, If I can push those out fast enough, they'll be a great long range hitter, I've seen guys get 2950fps with the 208gr. Hornady AMAX with a 24" tube, so 2850-2900 with the 215gr. Hybrids should be possible for me. </div></div>

Ok so im pretty much sold on the 215 hybrid. I have a 28 inch barrel so im hoping somewhere close to 2950 or over. Thanks man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blaktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all really depends on your intended range and purpose, if you don't intend to go past 1000 yards, than the heavier bullets that retain their velocity longer don't really appeal. I'm currently working up loads for the 230gr. OTM hybrid to see what kind of velocity and accuracy I can get, but I'm not expecting more than maybe 2700fps with it out of a 24" tube.

the 215gr. Hybrids are a different story, If I can push those out fast enough, they'll be a great long range hitter, I've seen guys get 2950fps with the 208gr. Hornady AMAX with a 24" tube, so 2850-2900 with the 215gr. Hybrids should be possible for me. </div></div>

Ok so im pretty much sold on the 215 hybrid. I have a 28 inch barrel so im hoping somewhere close to 2950 or over. Thanks man. </div></div>

You should be able to achieve that no problem with a 28" tube, I'm going to try RE-19 when I get my hands on the 215's since that is what works best for me with the 208's, you might want to try that as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be able to achieve that no problem with a 28" tube, I'm going to try RE-19 when I get my hands on the 215's since that is what works best for me with the 208's, you might want to try that as well. </div></div>

So you have tried R-17 with 208s and didn't get good results?

Surprisingly I got better velocity with RE-19, RE-17 gave me just a smidge over 2900fps from a 24" tube when RE-19 gave me a tad bit over 2950fps, I could probably get more out of my load with RE-19, but I didn't have a need to get more than 2950fps so I settled on that load, sad part is I'm all out of 208 AMAX's now, and I'm moving on to experiment with other rounds, right now I'm working on Berger 230 OTM hybrids and Barnes 200gr. LRX, both of which have little data out there for the 300WSM, I have yet to see anyone's experience with the LRX, so thats first on my list right now.