• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger Quality Control????

treedoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Virginia
I recently purchased 2 boxes of Berger 175 VLD Hunting from 2 separate vendors. Box #1 (Lot 2641) has bearing surface lengths from .247-.251. Box #2 (Lot 2733) has bearing surface lengths from .306-.310.

Similar thing happened with some 185 VLD Hunting.

Is this common????? Has anyone else seen this????

Should I contact Berger????

Re: Berger Quality Control????

Call and ask them. There may have been an update to the dies and you got old stock from a vendor.

Also, are you sure your measurements are correct? Just to double check before You call an find out you had something loose.

Verified measurements at least 10 times. Do vendors update dies frequently?

I've been buying green box stuff for years and they have remained consistent - .59 - .62.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do vendors update dies frequently?</div></div>

I don't know, but every lot of Amax's I've bought so far have been different.

John

I have had three 300 bullets with buggered meplats from two different lot #'s. I attempted to contact the correct guy who has posts on the hide (not Mr. Litz) by phone at the factory and have yet to hear back from him three months ago. So I think its good to say Berger has gotten bloated somewhat and does not seem to care about us small guys. Why they are too busy with National Record holders. Funny thing is two of which both told me to call Eric as they would not have shot any of those lots I shot even after trimming and pointing the meplats again.

Can't let that slide, policeman. Only "tried" ONCE in 3 months ? What about email ? Eric Stecker is easy to talk to and replies fairly quick with emails.

MAYBE, you could have posted the said bullets for sale, here or elsewhere if you were so unhappy. Hmmmm ...WTF do I know ? Could be you just need something to gripe about .

Reason I don't think it was that much an issue (3x300??, that's the way I read the post )... I have seen flattened, pointed, rounded even the polymer tip PULLED out of some bullets and they shot great. HOWEVER, have a nick / ding in the friggin boattail or base and you're going to have a flyer.

BTW, I was a National Record holder in 2007 (F T/R) and I got my Bergers the same way most shooters here & elsewhere get them. I BOUGHT THEM.

Treedoc, If you don't like / want the 175s let me know & I'll buy them. I would offer some other bullet but what I have left in Sierra are all moly'd or not 175..

Will - I don't have a problem with the bullets, just need to know if this is to be expected between lot #'s.

How do you measure the BEARING surface length? When I do it I measure with a Stoney Point ogive comparator mounted on a $300 .0005" digital caliper and measure from BOTH ends of the same bullet. I've inspected a LOT of everyone's bullets. Especially Berger bullets. Personally I have never seen anything like what you mentioned. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Berger bullets are the ONLY factory bullets that can compare in runout to my handmade benchrest bullets. Hornady match bullets run a close second. Green boxes aren't even in the race, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with Will. Eric is a good guy and will help any way he can. I met his grandfather on several ocassions. Walt Berger was always friendly as well.

Will,

Go play with yourself. Yes I called and left a message. But Oh what do I know? I just shot them anyway. I wasnt trying to get a damn thing for free Sir, and I could give a rats ass what you were. NO where did I say I wanted anything for free. I posted my experience with Bergers quality control. If you don't like it go play with yourself. You obviously did not see them so again go play with yourself. The two guys are well known record holders and have more years shooting than I do and probably you to by the way you attack someone openly without knowing a damn thing about it other than what was a few sentances about quality control. THEY BOTH said they would not shoot them in anything other than load work up and to expect flyers there.

NOW if I had wanted FREE bullets I would have called everyday until they sent me some. I have bought a few more hundred since then and have not had the same buggard meplats. Oh by the way we are not talking one or two but all 300.

So anytime you want to talk feel free to PM me and I welcome any dialog you wish to have.

Po-Po

Got a thing about "playing with yourself" ...good thing I don't have to travel around Nashville. Did I say ANYTHING about FREE ?? Nope.
You have an automatic mouth with the brain locked in Neutral.
I just stated facts. Now IF YOU have a gripe / issue drive on down to HardRock this weekend. LTR David made the drive from your AO quite a bit in years past. I don't PM individuals with masturbation issue such as yourself.

As for an attack ... read your friggin post, twerp. I SAID " Could be you just need something to gripe about ."

Will,

Whatever, I will let you know next time work takes me to AL and you can show up in person instead of hiding behind someone else. You attack someone online because you don't like what they encountered by a company you like shows its not me that has a maturity problem. Now I said go play with yourself in leu of GO FUCK YOURSELF as it seemed less confrontational. That you wish to keep this a public attack then so be it. I have seen your type before.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">BTW, I was a National Record holder in 2007 (F T/R) and I got my Bergers the same way most shooters here & elsewhere get them. I BOUGHT THEM.</span></span>

That quote of yours says it all. The implication is obvious and therefore again I was not looking for anything FREE. I pay for my components also. I sometime struggle to do it and if a company that I pay good money too drops the ball I will contact them because for all I know there was a problem lot. I have had that happen once already with something I bought and the company admitted that they had just started receiving complaints about the item. I sent it back and they returned a new one. IN OTHER WORDS in case you can't read I was going to see if they wanted to trade back for non buggered bullets.

Now Berger does a lot for shooting sports and I appreciate that but in my case they dropped the ball. I am sure there are others who have had similar experiences with other companies that are popular too.

This thread is about a quality control issue with Berger not your personal attacks because you disagree with my experience with Berger. If you have a problem then take it private instead of attacking someone with fewer posts than you because it just might mean they are not given to self stimulation by seeing their own words written on a website.

Oh and thank you for your service in the Army.

Po-Po

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased 2 boxes of Berger 175 VLD Hunting from 2 separate vendors. Box #1 (Lot 2641) has bearing surface lengths from .247-.251. Box #2 (Lot 2733) has bearing surface lengths from .306-.310.

Similar thing happened with some 185 VLD Hunting.

Is this common????? Has anyone else seen this????

Should I contact Berger???? </div></div>

That is precisely why competition shooters are anal about shooting the same lot #s (to avoid inconsistencies between lots). It is entirely possible that between the lot numbers that you have listed, they may have replaced dies or an adjustment was made. Bergers are considered one of the best bullets out there. Depending on what your use is and how you load the bullets (into lands or jumped) this could be a non event. Just do not mix your bullets. Shoot one box first and then move on to the next one.

As far as contacting Berger for two boxes of different lot numbers - I wouldn't.