• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger vld's in a 22-250

huntermanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Wyoming
I ran across a box of 80 grain Berger vld's that I wanted to try in my 22-250. I have never loaded anything this heavy for my 22-250 and can't seem to find any reliable load data for it. Also, will a 1:14 twist stabilize these? Any help would be appreciated.

Berger reload manual suggests a 1-8" twist or faster. For your twist rate Berger suggests 55gr or lighter.

I ran across a box of 80 grain Berger vld's that I wanted to try in my 22-250. I have never loaded anything this heavy for my 22-250 and can't seem to find any reliable load data for it. Also, will a 1:14 twist stabilize these? Any help would be appreciated.

No way, that twist is too slow. Even if you get them ripping at 3400 and you are shooting on top of the Rockies, your stability factor is still way under 1.0. I hate to be negative and you are welcome to try them, but the odds are these will not be stable.

Let me ask this, is there a hunting bullet that anyone would recommend for this twist rate? This is the first year Wyoming has allowed deer and antelope to be taken with a 22-250 and I am kinda hoping to try it out. State law requires the use of a 60 grain bullet or heavier.

I've shot some 63 grain Sierra soft points through 1-14" twist .22-250 and they shot just fine. I think Sierra reccomends a faster twist, but I could be wrong. With broadside chest shots, it wil do just fine.

.22-250 isn't my ideal deer cartridge, but I've used it to kill a number of does. when I'm running that cartridge for deer, I'm very picky about my shots and am willing to wait for a perfect opportunity. If there is any doubt whatsoever about whether I can put a bullet exactly where I want it, I will either pass or wait until the right opportunity presents itself.

Nosler does a Bonded 64 gr I think? Also look at Trophy Bonded.

For me deer and antelope cartridges begin with .257

NOT a fan of hi velocity .22's for big game. They work if everything is right, but I have seen a few heartbreaking failures too over the past 40 years.
One on a mule deer of a lifetime...a friend w/ a .223 rem 55 gr, wounded the buck...a mile later another guy dropped him and got into the books.

I tried 70 gr. VLDs in a 14 twist, not expecting much and they were all over the place. Should have known better.

I killed a 200+ hog with a VMax 55gr, head shot, stone dead. But Nosler 55 Ballistic Tips are a bit more solidly constructed than most and that would be a safe bet in a 22-250. I don't know about the 60 grain requirement, seems a little bogus, if you ask me? The Sierra 63 gr. semi pointed is a very good, reliable bullet and one I am currently using in a 220Swift that has some throat erosion, on coyotes, primarily, but I am quite sure it will work well on mule deer, if you do your part.....lol.

Berger has discontinued the 62 gr. target but you can still get the 64 gr. that I have use extensively on bobcat and coyote. On a side presentation they usually exit without expanding, but kill bang/flop, no runners. Honestly, have not tried the 64 on deer, but if that's all I had, I would use it with a fair degree of confidence. Full disclosure, my 22-250 is an Ackley, considerably faster than the plain vanilla Remington. BB

I just got my hands on a custom build. 1:8 twist. Buddy of mine. 80 grain vlds. Just dropped 34 grains of h4350 in nosler custom brass. Sound about right?? Gonna seat em in the am....

A 1-14 barrel will shoot up to approx 60 grain bullets if they are flat base. My 40x with a factory 1-14 will shoot 55 plastic tips from Nosler and Hornady, but Sierra's version is all over the place. The Hornady flat base 60 grainers are excellent. You need at least a 9 twist for upper 60's and lower 70 grainers.