• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger VLD's - price increase again!

700X7.62

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
USA
Has anyone else noticed that Berger bullets have gone up in price, again! $56 a box at Creedmoor, checked a receipt and I was paying $46 a box back in October and this is the second increase within a year.

I really like Berger 175 VLD's but at over .50 cents a bullet now I will be giving AMAX & SMK's a much closer look.

Re: Berger VLD's - price increase again!

I like Bergers, but I shoot a whole lot more Amax's for the simple cost reason.

Did you try Grafs? I paid $39/box for 7mm 180 VLD's in March.

Good thing I picked up 2k at 15.61 per hundred for the 7mms.
laugh.gif

$38.74 at powder valley inc, out of stock now

just got to find the best place to order them from

Berger bullets are great bullets, but their prices is high. I refuse to buy their bullets.

Damn I though I was a careful shopper but Powder Valley also has much better prices on Laupa brass - thanks for the info, I now have a new place to buy all my reloading supplies from!

There was a group buy for Bergers going on. It was suppose to close the 2nd but you might want to check.

As much as I like Bergers, they are pricing themselves out of the competition.

In 6mm (243WIN) I tested Berger 105vlds, A-max 105s, and Sierra 107s. The Hornadys grouped the best. Hornady is putting out some real good bullets these days. I think their quality control has improved the last few years.

I have 2 boxes of 30cal 190VLD's = for sale = 1 mmmmiiillllllion dollars each - FREE Shipping lower 48

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 boxes of 30cal 190VLD's = for sale = 1 mmmmiiillllllion dollars each - FREE Shipping lower 48 </div></div>

I'll take it! Do you take personal checks?

Instead of bitching about price increases, how about applying for a C&R (FFL03) license, it only costs $35 every 3 years, and open up a dealer account with Grafs (costs nothing). Than you can buy your bullets, brass, dies, powder, primers, etc at dealer pricing! Which is cheaper than the current group buy pricing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As much as I like Bergers, they are pricing themselves out of the competition.</div></div>

I couldn't agree more. They can blame it on raw material costs but when lead/copper were at record prices and then fell way off, prices stayed the same. Now lead/copper prices are going back up, berger's prices go up again.

If it weren't for the difficulty in getting jackets, my ass would start making bullets. (and sellling for a resonable price)

They're too high, I'm done with Berger. At least until after the great recession.

I would agree that their bullet prices are higher. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
But, if you search, you can find them at decent prices. There are places that buy from Berger, sell to a wholesaler, then to the retailer that sells them to the consumer. Avoid these places for the double and triple mark-ups and higher prices. I generally ask where a vendor is getting their supplies from, so I can get the best price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would agree that their bullet prices are higher. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
But, if you search, you can find them at decent prices. There are places that buy from Berger, sell to a wholesaler, then to the retailer that sells them to the consumer. Avoid these places for the double and triple mark-ups and higher prices. I generally ask where a vendor is getting their supplies from, so I can get the best price. </div></div>

Chad makes a great point. Why spend thousands on a rifle and then skimp on bullets?

I wouldn't say it's skimping on bullets. People just don't see the point of paying almost 2x the cost of the competitors product for a marginal gain in performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As much as I like Bergers, they are pricing themselves out of the competition. </div></div>

+1, some of this shit in the shooting industry has gone stoopid silly. My .308 loves the 185 VLDs, but $40 / 100 was already ridiculous, at some time, you have to pinch it off.

answer....

Corbin bullet swaging dies, have them made to YOUR spec.
They carry jackets and lead wire but those can be gotten locally if you are creative enough.

Stop buying berger bullets......I think all the other brands are just as good.

I'll say this much. I've tested A LOT of loads in my 260 Rem. 140 A-max, 139 Scenar, 130 and 140 VLD. The VLD's shot the best, and gave the best ES numbers. Does that make a better bullet? Maybe. Does it mean my rifle likes the Bergers better? Yes. I'm willing to pay for the extra pennies per bullet over the A-max, Scenars, and SMK to get this performance and higher BC.

Also, the Scenars have near identical pricing as the Bergers. But you don't see a thread complaining about the Scenars. As a consumer/business, I try to get the best pricing available. If you buy something at a higher price where it is offered for less somewhere else, then you are "willing" to pay for something at that amount. If you are not "willing" to pay for it, then ask the right questions from the places you buy from to see if they are providing you the best possible price. This is why I like being an informed buyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll say this much. I've tested A LOT of loads in my 260 Rem. 140 A-max, 139 Scenar, 130 and 140 VLD. The VLD's shot the best, and gave the best ES numbers. Does that make a better bullet? Maybe. Does it mean my rifle likes the Bergers better? Yes. I'm willing to pay for the extra pennies per bullet over the A-max, Scenars, and SMK to get this performance and higher BC.

Also, the Scenars have near identical pricing as the Bergers. But you don't see a thread complaining about the Scenars. As a consumer/business, I try to get the best pricing available. If you buy something at a higher price where it is offered for less somewhere else, then you are "willing" to pay for something at that amount. If you are not "willing" to pay for it, then ask the right questions from the places you buy from to see if they are providing you the best possible price. This is why I like being an informed buyer. </div></div>

Nicely Put

BERGER VLDs have always shot outstanding for me!!!! Its like just about everything else, you get what you pay for!!!

I was going to post this before I finished reading the post when I was yours.
smile.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, the Scenars have near identical pricing as the Bergers. But you don't see a thread complaining about the Scenars. </div></div>

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=671682 Berger 140 VLD $36.99/100

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=866134 Scenar 139 $37.99/100