• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berry's 220gr 300BO bullets

Zezeroni

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2020
Arizona, USA
Hello all so I have a 8.5in 1-7 twist ar in 300bo and am starting to do some subsonic loads I found a nice price on some berrys 220gr bullets and ordered some. I have lil gun and 1680 powder and am using cci 450 primers with LC 223 to 300bo brass. Was wondering what you guys were using to load these 220gr bullets for starting loads and recommended loads for it. I know hodgdon recommends max load of 8.4gr of powder but what do you guys think/use thanks for the help!

I use plated bullets all the time in pistols. In 300 BLK I've used a lot of stuff but not yet plated bullets. Whatever load data you find back off about 10% or so and work from there. You typically will get the target velocity with less powder simply because of the nature of the bullet material. Also you probably want to slightly bell your case mouth when seating so you don't scrape off the plating.

Another thing I forgot to mention is you might want to play with seating depth. Start with as long as your magazine will allow and test down. I'm sure others have some good ideas as well.

My data, use at your own risk:
10.5” barrel
LC converted brass
CCI#41
AA1680 10.7gr
Berry’s 200gr seated 2.210
1075fps @ 70F

So a longer barrel and lighter bullet. You could start around 10.5ish and proceed from there. No data on lil gun tho. Good luck!

Reactions: Zezeroni
My data, use at your own risk:
10.5” barrel
LC converted brass
CCI#41
AA1680 10.7gr
Berry’s 200gr seated 2.210
1075fps @ 70F

So a longer barrel and lighter bullet. You could start around 10.5ish and proceed from there. No data on lil gun tho. Good luck!
Curious if you have noticed if those plated bullets are jump tolerant in a rifle?

Any other things note worthy about them vs a jacketed bullet?

I tried coated bullets and they don't do jumps but once I figured it out it worked pretty good.

I will eventually try some plated bullets in 300 BLK.

@alamo5000 I haven't done any jump testing for these. Found a load that shoots subsonic while close to 1080fps, and fit easily in mags. Since these were always meant to be fun, subsonic plinking loads I could churn out on the dillon, I didn't do any real load development or experimenting beyond chrono.
Have a 16.5" barrel in 300BO for the Nucleus to try precision 300BO, but haven't worked on that in a while. Ran into feed issues from Accurate Mag 223 metal mags, then other projects took priority.

Not enough experience to talk intelligently about jacketed vs plated. Have only used jacketed for cheap plinking rounds.

Reactions: alamo5000
@alamo5000 I haven't done any jump testing for these. Found a load that shoots subsonic while close to 1080fps, and fit easily in mags. Since these were always meant to be fun, subsonic plinking loads I could churn out on the dillon, I didn't do any real load development or experimenting beyond chrono.
Have a 16.5" barrel in 300BO for the Nucleus to try precision 300BO, but haven't worked on that in a while. Ran into feed issues from Accurate Mag 223 metal mags, then other projects took priority.

Not enough experience to talk intelligently about jacketed vs plated. Have only used jacketed for cheap plinking rounds.
I was asking because when I used coated bullets in 300blk subs if you seat the rounds too short the barrel will shave off some of the lead and it (at least for me) left a lead ring that prevented firing until it was cleaned out.

If I seated the bullets longer it eliminated the problem.

I wasn't sure if plated bullets have the same quirk.

Not that I've noticed but only maybe 100-150 of the 300BO subs fired. Have 400-500 berry's 55gr fired from my ARs without any issues and those are loaded to ensure easy mag length with no consideration for jump.
Seems odd about shaving lead from coated bullets. First time i've ever heard of that issue. Something I'll definitely keep an eye out for now.

Cheers!

Reactions: alamo5000
Not that I've noticed but only maybe 100-150 of the 300BO subs fired. Have 400-500 berry's 55gr fired from my ARs without any issues and those are loaded to ensure easy mag length with no consideration for jump.
Seems odd about shaving lead from coated bullets. First time i've ever heard of that issue. Something I'll definitely keep an eye out for now.

Cheers!
If it hasn't happened yet it probably won't happen at all.

With a coated lead bullet it's much softer material. The bullets I used would 'jump' just fine but because they were softer lead some of the angles in the barrel would shave off a little here or there until it built up.

With plated bullets that I've used in pistols it is a much tougher substance than other bullet coatings. You could scrape the coating off with your finger nail almost.

I've never used plated bullets in a rifle though so I don't know from first hand experience.

With what you said though it seems to confirm my thoughts that plated bullets would be a bit better in subsonic ammo than just hitek coated bullets.

Maybe "better" is not the right word. Maybe 'forgiving' is the more appropriate word I'm looking for.

Reactions: Supersum1
I use plated bullets all the time in pistols. In 300 BLK I've used a lot of stuff but not yet plated bullets. Whatever load data you find back off about 10% or so and work from there. You typically will get the target velocity with less powder simply because of the nature of the bullet material. Also you probably want to slightly bell your case mouth when seating so you don't scrape off the plating.

Another thing I forgot to mention is you might want to play with seating depth. Start with as long as your magazine will allow and test down. I'm sure others have some good ideas as well.
What caliber do you reload for pistols because I went to my local shop and picked up 250 147gr 9mm berry’s bullets and use Winchester spp with either be86 or cfe pistol and lookin to use around 3.4gr with these berry bullets since I’ve only loaded 124gr xtps so far. I also have 115 berry 9mm bullets I’d also like some information for if anyone has any also I have win 231 for powder

Last edited:

Reducing the load 10% for subsonic is the incorrect method to start. When working up (or down)being the case for subsonic ammunition to insure that a projectile doesn’t get lodged in the barrel. Always start on the high side of the charge weight going lighter. This type of loading requires a chronograph to be really safe and much attention as to to your bore not getting obstructed! I’ve been loading 300 blackout since before public data was available. I personally got my 300blk entry data from Ron Silvers of Remington Ammunition in which we have had lengthy conversations about…

Not Berry’s but 8” Seekins barrel suppressed
Hornady 225 ELD-M
A1680 11.5
BTO 1.467
1064, 1064, 1067

I was asking because when I used coated bullets in 300blk subs if you seat the rounds too short the barrel will shave off some of the lead and it (at least for me) left a lead ring that prevented firing until it was cleaned out.

If I seated the bullets longer it eliminated the problem.

I wasn't sure if plated bullets have the same quirk.
When using coated bullets, it’s probably a good habit to resize them before loading. This should minimize your leading or galling problem.