• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berry's Bullets?

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
Anyone hear of Berry's Bullets? I was searching the web for some .45acp bullets and saw Berry's. 500 bullets for $70! The price is right, but how do they perform? Ive been reading that people have been having issues when they crimp the bullet that the plated copper crumbles.

Like to know what you guys think!

Re: Berry's Bullets?

I have used them in 38sp and they all seemed to work just fine. 45 sounds like it would be a good use too.

I have to agree with 427Cobra. My experience with plated bullets is that the diameters are not consistant and you will have a lot of variance in neck tension. For what they are charging now, about double what they went for in 2008, they are not worth the price.

I have a can or two of them left in 9 mil and 9 Mak, probably bought in late 90's when they weren't much morethan cast. No problems with them.

If someone crimps through the copper they are crimping to much.

Checked prices just now. Too bad they got so expensive. For another $10/500 you can get FMJs in .45.

I've used them in 45, 9mm, 40, and 10mm. In all cases FMJ shot better, but they weren't BAD. In Glock barrels they didn't smear the rifling up like lead cast. If you're like me and shoot your handguns once per quarter they work fine, but since I only shoot handguns once per quarter I can afford FMJ.

I load Berry's 9mm 115gr RN-DS, FP-DS and 45ACP 230gr RN-DS, all with great results. Powder Valley is usually the best deal for Berry's but 427Cobra does have a point in that $20-30 (depending on shipping) per 1K will move you up from plated to FMJ.

I've probably done 8-10k Berrys in 9mm and .45 and they are as accurate as FMJ out of my guns. No crumbling here just use a light crimp. Graf and Sons has about the best pricing I've seen for Berrys.

Berrys gives a brake on over 25000 bulit orders also and the last time i looked thay had free shipping

I've shot plenty of Berrys and Ranier plated and seem fine in .45 however never could get them to shoot very accurate in a 9mm or .38 special. I use the 125 gr flat nose .357 in my 38 super with good results however I've switched to Precision Delta and they cost about the same for FMJ as the plated and shoot better. Also FMJ isn't velocity sensitive.

I almost exclusively shoot Berrys in pistol, i compete in USPSA and IDPA with 147g Berry RN, and pretty much load all my pistols except 357mag with berry's. I was just in a over 1million bullet group buy from them and got 10,000 more bullets myself... They are good cheap stuff for those thta cant shoot lead easily.

I recently bought 250 Berry's plated 200 gr hp for 45ACP. After reading the above, I grabbed a handful and miked them and they all were dead on .452.
The box says they are .451.
I rotated a few to check for out of round, and found none.
I'll shoot 'em.

That price is not all that great, especially for plated(not double struck) bullets.

If I were to pass a deal for anyone looking for FMJ it would be from Roze Dist. Last I checked their 230 FMJ run about $110ish per M.

Better deal, better bullet.

Thousands of Barry's down range and not one issue . The HBs are more accurate than any FMJs Ive ever loaded in a 92 and a Sig 225 , due to the extra bearing surface . All though I will admit , they were better a few years ago when you could get em for 65 bucks a thousand shipped .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UrbanSi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That price is not all that great, especially for plated(not double struck) bullets.

If I were to pass a deal for anyone looking for FMJ it would be from Roze Dist. Last I checked their 230 FMJ run about $110ish per M.

Better deal, better bullet. </div></div>

Barry's are double struck , once under sized then plated and struck to final size . All ways been very consistent for me YMMV

I found a fair amount of inconsistencies in Berry's final product, in turn I had some problems loading them in what should be a fairly easy caliber to load.

I mostly shoot lead in .45ACP so the 2000 that I bought a while back may have been a "bad batch".

I'm going to look around and see if I can find some of the boolits that I had an issue with, they were in the end completely useless.

Not to mention I had a fair amount of fouling in the 3 1911's that I shot them from. All slug at .451 and never lead with any other load(regardless of powder/crimp/lube/velocity/BHN)

Not trying to bash here, just stating my experience.

On a side note, why anyone would suggest a costlier plated bullet over a FMJ is beyond me?

Inconsistent I would say.
20120911_203308.jpg

20120911_203234.jpg

20120911_203247.jpg

20120911_203213.jpg

2 separate bullets, simple sample to back my experience. These bullets were not loaded, pulled or crimped in any manner

PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE RUNNING ABOUT 4-6 WEEKS BEHIND DUE TO UNUSUALLY LARGE ORDER VOLUME - PLEASE DO NOT CALL TO CHECK ON THE STATUS OF YOUR ORDER IF YOU HAVE ORDERED WITHIN THE LAST 4 WEEKS
No way not for me