• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berry's plated bullets-good?

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
The only 9mm components I can find in stock right now are the plated berrys. 124 grain flat/truncated nose hollow base. The company website says they work find in glocks but wondering what the consensus here is. Looking to produce accurate full power practice ammo. I have Silouhette and Winchester primers, and some Remington primers.
Alternative is to buy a couple thousand fmjs from precision delta, but 4 month wait. I know, I know, do both....i want to avoid a long load workup if i will never find accuracy with the plated bullets in stock glock barrels.

I have had good luck with the Berry's bullets. Just remember that your load data will be different with the plated bullets than with a FMJ.

I use these in my glock 34 for shooting IDPA I have no issue making power factor with them and they are decent shooters I am using the 124gr round nose flat base projectiles pushing them over 4.0 grs of bullseye powder which gets me somewhere between 1060-1090fps. I picked up 2k of them after all the scare it took them a few weeks to ship them but they beat their expected wait and I am quite happy with them. If you read their website they give you all the info you need to reload them. The Lee manual has info on plated bullets as well.

The 9mm 124gr RN-HB TP (tp= thick plating) are amazing bullets. You can push them about as fast as a jacketed bullet with no problems (don't quote me on this, but I want to say the limit is 1300FPS?). It's all I use in 9mm. I've also used the 124 FP-FB from Berry's and they work well. I just prefer for the RN for the thicker plating. Just don't taper crimp them hard and you'll be fine.

I used to load Berrys when I first started reloading. I switched to FMJs because the copper they use in their plating process fouled up the barrel in my Sig. It wasn't horrible, but FMJ definitely doesn't do it.

If they are all I could find, I wouldn't hesitate to load them up. Given a choice, I'll always choose FMJ, especially since PD's pricing isn't that much higher than Berrys.

Having said that, I will NOT shoot moly-coated lead. Scrubbing that stuff out of my barrel is the worst.

YMMV.