• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best <$1,000 solution

rtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
I currently do not own a LRF or Kestrel. I do own an iPhone. I want a setup that will allow me to range targets and be able to hit them with a total budget of $1,000. What combination of hardware and software best accomplishes this?

(I primarily shoot a Ruger RPR in .243 Win and a Vudoo in .22LR)

Do you know the range of your targets? Or are we talking about unknown distances?

If you’re able to use your iPhone for all your data then spend that money on a LRF to me I hated using my phone and bought a kestrel. Sold my LRF die to always shooting known distances at matches but I would like to have another one for just going out and plinking.

If you’re able to use your iPhone for all your data then spend that money on a LRF to me I hated using my phone and bought a kestrel. Sold my LRF die to always shooting known distances at matches but I would like to have another one for just going out and plinking.
So what LRFs do you recommend?

Then you're going to need a LRF. The Hornady 4DOF app is free and very good, you don't need a Kestrel. If you want one for wind estimation, then you can get one that'll give you all the atmospherics you need without ballistics for much cheaper.

You can get a Sig KILO2200BDX for $250 from Cabelas, and a Kestrel 3500 that gives you everything but minimum wind speed (you still get average and max) for $200. That, plus the free Hornady app, is good enough to play out to 1000 yards, but that's probably pushing it on the LRF. The next step up, the KILO3K, is $350 at Cabelas. That's probably my recommendation for ranging on a budget, and you can do it for $550 before taxes/shipping.

Reactions: Bluedog82
Then you're going to need a LRF. The Hornady 4DOF app is free and very good, you don't need a Kestrel. If you want one for wind estimation, then you can get one that'll give you all the atmospherics you need without ballistics for much cheaper.

You can get an Sig KILO2200BDX for $250 from Cabelas, and a Kestrel 3500 that gives you everything but minimum wind speed (you still get average and max) for $200. That, plus the free Hornady app, is good enough to play out to 1000 yards, but that's probably pushing it on the LRF. The next step up, the KILO3K, is $350 at Cabelas. That's probably my recommendation for ranging on a budget, and you can do it for $550 before taxes/shipping.
Thank you. What about an LRF that uses AB, like the Sig 2400ABS?

You can spend more money on one that has onboard AB, but I don't know why you would. Hornady's 4DOF works great and is free. Lots of people like AB, and I'm sure you can read all the internet reviews if you want to hunt and peck through all the nuances.

Sounds like you already know which LRFs you're looking at, why didn't you just ask about those?

I am looking for the simplest solution that will result in accurate hits. In my mind an LRF that gives me accurate data is simpler than an LRF and a Kestrel, but admittedly I don’t know if an LRF with built in ballistics solver is as accurate as an LRF and a Kestrel. So hoping to get educated here.

The Sig KILO3K has onboard ballistics too. It runs AB Ultralite, and can connect to a phone ballistic app via BDX 2.0 (Bluetooth).

You still need to feed environmental info to the system; newer phones have barometers and some have thermometers too but they’ll lie because they’re warm in your pocket.

Lastly, a LRF with ballistics onboard won’t teach you to make a wind call. That’s what the Kestrel is for, and the 3500 happens too have a barometer as well. You can get a cheaper one if your phone has a barometer. Air pressure, temp, and humidity don’t much matter at 600 yards; they’re fairly important at 1000, particularly pressure. However, wind is the largest variable, and you need to measure it to learn how to account for it.

iPhone + Strelok Pro ($12) + WeatherFLOW WINDmeter ($60) = as good or better than any Kestrel available, and WAY easier to use.

Most of the time, as long as you've got wi-fi or cell signal, just updating Strelok's weather off of what's online (nearby airports/weather stations/etc) will give you usable elevation (usually put you in the ballpark as far as wind/windage too):

IMG_40D373123FDE-1.jpeg

When you want to be more precise, and want the exact weather where you are (also and/or when you don't have wi-fi or cell signal), Strelok will communicate with the WINDmeter using Bluetooth and it'll look something like this (depending on what you're doing):

IMG_6951.PNG
IMG_6952.PNG

Plus, it'll make your target cards for you:

IMG_CCC1793869AA-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a $500 sig lrf and a kestrel 5700 which is almost dead on the money for your budget. But a lrf and strelok pro did me fine for the last two years. Only shooting on a 500ish yard range for what it’s worth, but I also shoot a 22lr among others.

I have a $500 sig lrf and a kestrel 5700 which is almost dead on the money for your budget. But a lrf and strelok pro did me fine for the last two years. Only shooting on a 500ish yard range for what it’s worth, but I also shoot a 22lr among others.
Which model lrf?

Which model lrf?
It’s an sig BDX, I don’t remember the # of the model. It’s a couple of years old now, I think they have a 2.0 model now. It’s in my shooting pack at home otherwise I’d tell you the exact one.

I have had this app for a couple years now. It is great. My wife got me the weatherflow meter that hooks to it. Take a reading and press a button, point toward your target and press another button, wind holds appear on the chart. The cool thing about the weatherflow is it gives you DA.
Add a LRF and you will be set up pretty good.

I see you got a Kestrel, that should also sync to the ballistic app.