• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best $1500 CAD Scope?

BigTimeMediocrity

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
Canada
Hey all. I'm in the market for some new glass for my Tikka T3X in .308.

I really was interested in the Tract Toric, but I'm starting to think it's unachievable. The process to get it shipped into Canada is looking rather difficult, and possibly expensive (custom fees, etc). Not to mention it might make any warranty actions very difficult. Does anyone have any experience in this realm?

If not, I'm starting to look elsewhere. I might go with my original plan which was a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25, which is right around the top end of my budget ($1500 CAD or ~$1100 USD). Does anyone recommend anything else or have any other insight?

I'll mostly be shooting at the range out to 1000m, but also plan to hunt with it, if that makes a difference for y'all. Thanks!

Let me preface this with I have no idea about ITAR regulations.

Can you buy something used in the PX and have it shipped to Canada?

Let me preface this with I have no idea about ITAR regulations.

Can you buy something used in the PX and have it shipped to Canada?
Honestly I'm not sure. For starters, Non-US members can't use the PX, and I assume any shipping restrictions/duties/certificates, etc, on optics from retailers would also apply to private sales.

@Chickentoast Thanks. It looks like the Cronus is $1299, but still a good deal. Those are both American retailers, so I'll see if there's any restrictions on shipping and go from there.

Thanks. Unfortunately they don't export rifle scopes outside of the US. I'm going to contact Midway and see what they say, but I assume it might be the same.

I googled canadian athlon dealer and got lots of hits. The Ares ETR is really close to the Cronus.

I googled canadian athlon dealer and got lots of hits. The Ares ETR is really close to the Cronus.
Yeah I shouldn't have any issues finding any of the major brands in Canada. So far I've looked at both the Vortex Viper and the Athlon ETR, and it looks like I can probably get a Ares ETR for around $1650 CAD, but I don't know exactly how it stacks up to the Viper, or anything else in that price range. I'll have to do some more digging

Yeah I shouldn't have any issues finding any of the major brands in Canada. So far I've looked at both the Vortex Viper and the Athlon ETR, and it looks like I can probably get a Ares ETR for around $1650 CAD, but I don't know exactly how it stacks up to the Viper, or anything else in that price range. I'll have to do some more digging

Consider looking at used optics as well. Some pretty sweet deals can be had sometimes, especially with Vortex and their transferable warranty. I've seen PST IIs go for 4-500+ less than retail.

I like them better, both the glass and the reticle. Ilya compared it to the cronus and he didn't see a big difference.

Reactions: BigTimeMediocrity
Are you a member on CadianGunNutz? Probably the best place for equipment exchange in Canada. IMO you are better off with the Athlon then the Viper PST. Should also look at the Meopta Optika 6. I have one and think it compares favorably to other scopes in and around the price range. The Ares can be had a bit cheaper than 1650 if you find the right dealer.

Are you a member on CadianGunNutz? Probably the best place for equipment exchange in Canada. IMO you are better off with the Athlon then the Viper PST. Should also look at the Meopta Optika 6. I have one and think it compares favorably to other scopes in and around the price range. The Ares can be had a bit cheaper than 1650 if you find the right dealer.
No I'm not, but I've heard about it a lot recently so I might check it out! Thanks!

If I go with the Ares I found a place that has it for $1675, and will include postage to me, with discounted Burris XTR Sig rings. But I'll check out the others and keep an eye out! Thanks!

Unless things changed very recently you cannot get scopes from the US without the ITAR hoops being jumped through. That means no used and almost certainly no direct sales.

Bushnell LRHS 3-12 or 4.5-18 if you can find one. They have been discontinued but are still around here and there. PM me if you want suggestions on picking up something used here in Canada to stretch your CAD.

ETA: Frontier Firearms has the 3-12 for $999.95 CAD. You'd be hard pressed to do better for the $$. Not illuminated, and the reticle is a little sparse but a really good optic - rave reviews all round here on the hide.

FYI, ITAR doesn't apply to 95% of the scopes on the market. The only exception to that would be (as far as I know) certain ACOG's and other scopes that would have an NSN for issue to the military. Anything else is covered for export purposes under U.S. Department of Commerce and can be exported with a license submitted to BIS.

FYI, ITAR doesn't apply to 95% of the scopes on the market. The only exception to that would be (as far as I know) certain ACOG's and other scopes that would have an NSN for issue to the military. Anything else is covered for export purposes under U.S. Department of Commerce and can be exported with a license submitted to BIS.

So are they EAR instead, because I swear it would be easier to get Ebola samples sent up from the US?

ETA: Any three letter agencies reading this - SARCASM.

So are they EAR instead, because I swear it would be easier to get Ebola samples sent up from the US?

I was just reading a recent thread on the Tract Toric in the optics section, and it seemed one of the guys in there got one shipped up to him, with no extra fees in about 2 months. It seemed relatively painless, which is really enticing. He just had to apply for a permit online, which I also did a few days ago, and seems painless. People also recommended importers like Prophet River who do it for a $50 fee plus an GST charges.

My still only worry with that is catching some random customs charge, even though the guy in the other thread didn't seem to?

Hi,

Scopes have been removed from DDTC (ITAR) control and placed under Dept of Commerce control.
Exportation of them is a simple form and AES submission by the dealer.

Feel free to search USML Sec 121 to see for yourself that DDTC (ITAR) does not control scopes any longer.

What about 4 letter agencies??? lol

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: zaprosper
Just jump right up to a Tangent Theta since they're Canadian🤣
I can't believe I had to scroll this far to find it. In typical forum fashion, "if you can just stretch the budget a LITTLE bit, it's totally in your budget".

And yes, the above is total sarcasm.

I bought an Ares ETR off Amazon.ca from an American seller. They just shipped it to Prophet River's American counterpart, who billed me $50USD and a 2 month wait and it was at my door. I didn't pay anything at the boarder for it which could be a roll of the dice. Ended up being around $1600CAD to my door.

It is my understanding gun related items are a no go at border unless special permits are obtained ( which I believe some dealers obtain).
If I am wrong, cool.

Hi,

Painless is subjective, lol...

All it takes is the seller/dealer filing a license to Department of Commerce with end user information, purchase order and such.
The ECCN information for rifle scopes is listed below:
1605714742888.png

The seller/dealer pretty much just lists that ECCN on the license and it gets approved as long as the destination country or destination end user is not some shithole/head.

At that point the seller/shipper can take the package to DHL for all sakes...DHL submits the AES (Automated Export System) stating that Dept of Commerce license has been used in full and you get your scope in Canada.

IF you are dealing with a legitimate optics dealer that tells you that they need to get ITAR license/approval then kindly point them to show you on the USML Sec 121 where rifle scopes are ITAR and kindly point them to the above picture caption of the Department of Commerce ECCN information.

Hmmm, maybe I should get some optics accounts, lolol
Easiest $50 I could make.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Painless is subjective, lol...

All it takes is the seller/dealer filing a license to Department of Commerce with end user information, purchase order and such.
The ECCN information for rifle scopes is listed below:
View attachment 7475278
The seller/dealer pretty much just lists that ECCN on the license and it gets approved as long as the destination country or destination end user is not some shithole/head.

At that point the seller/shipper can take the package to DHL for all sakes...DHL submits the AES (Automated Export System) stating that Dept of Commerce license has been used in full and you get your scope in Canada.

IF you are dealing with a legitimate optics dealer that tells you that they need to get ITAR license/approval then kindly point them to show you on the USML Sec 121 where rifle scopes are ITAR and kindly point them to the above picture caption of the Department of Commerce ECCN information.

Hmmm, maybe I should get some optics accounts, lolol
Easiest $50 I could make.

Sincerely,
Theis

100%, it's been a big misconception between EAR and ITAR for a long time - some people up here still claim it is a "thing" so they can charge people the fee for the ITAR export license and then go file their license for free with Commerce/BIS. The last several times I've brought up customer orders of Athlon/USO/other scopes, it was exactly as Theis describes above. Send end user declaration to vendor/manufacturer, they file (free!) Commerce export license and then drop it in the mail/DHL/etc.

In general @adamjma is correct. It's very unlikely a vendor will jump through the hoops necessary to get a scope over the border to us here in Canada. If you're looking at Athlon reach out to Scott at Red Star Target Company. He was able to get me a Midas TAC for a price cheaper than the other Canadian retailers.

Reactions: Snowballs
Thanks guys. Just to clarify I submitted an IIC application for a Tract Toric just to see what the process was like, and I had the IIC in my email within 2 days. I just need to forward it to Tract or another American seller, and then then would have to get an export permit. Pretty easy on my end.

I'm still on the fence about it, but I'm starting to lean towards a ETR from a Canadian seller. I'm just searching for rings now, and still debating.

In general @adamjma is correct. It's very unlikely a vendor will jump through the hoops necessary to get a scope over the border to us here in Canada. If you're looking at Athlon reach out to Scott at Red Star Target Company. He was able to get me a Midas TAC for a price cheaper than the other Canadian retailers.

Scott is a great fellow to deal with and is a Athlon dealer. He is in Calgary and gets orders out ASAP, well packaged and tracked. He is also available to help picking the right scope with no pressure. Also in my friendly forces file.

Reactions: slickalaus12