• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best 1911 on the market...?

I'll echo what some others here have said - "best" is a custom made by Harrison, Volkmann, Heirloom, etc etc etc.

Best for the money IMO - Dan Wesson

If I was going for a sub $1000 gun, I'll take a Colt. Springfield and Sig make nice guns too but having played with numerous examples of all three, I like the Colt best every time - they may not be as fancy/have as many stock options as the other two but the action and parts fitting have been better.

Of course Springer and Sig make $1000+ guns too, and those are going to be much nicer than their lower priced models, but at that price range I'll take another DW please.

Some like Kimber, some hate Kimber - I'm not in either group. I own one, but its a looker not a shooter. I think as a manufacturer they are inconsistent.

All that being said, I won't personally buy another (new) 1911 that isn't either a Wilson or NH. I can't justify 5K+ on a real custom, and the Wilsons/NHs are every bit as good of a weapon IMO.

Im surprised no one mentioned the Springfield Range Officer....I am going to get one in the future and build off of it. I hear its a fantastic gun.

Consider this. I purchased a plain Kimber Custom II for $750. I ran it awhile in Single Stack and it ran flawless. I eventually sent it off to Clark Custom and had them do a accurizing job and stipple front strap for same money I bought it for and it is a beast on the range. Still runs flawless and is very tight. It will shoot 1" groups at 25yds. What i'm getting at is, you can a good solid frame and have it gone through by a reputable gunsmith and have a gun you will be very proud of

I've shot some really nice customs. They make me say I want one bad! Then I see the price tags and suddenly I can live with a few modifications to my current .45's to get some of the features I liked so well on the big money guns. I've got mine running good. And, unless I see a big lotto win, it's not likely that I'll drop the cash for a custom. Not that I wouldn't, just that I don't have that kind of cash.

I have no doubt that there are several great 1911 custom gun makers out there. I hear more of Wilson Combat and Nighthawk...probably because they are marketed heavily through media. I agree, unless I hit the jack pot I'm not sure I'd spend the cash on a custom. I'm into precision rifles too so I don't have the funds to play like I'd like to in both worlds.

Hard to say which is the best 1911 on the market. There are many that fit into that catogory. My Colt Wiley Clapp Commander series 70 is one of my favorite 1911's. I have had several and this Colt edges out my Valor buy just a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the comments. I figured out very quickly that I shouldn't have titled this thread as "Best" 1911 on the market. Each to their own, but I just mainly wanted to hear everybody's opinions. I think, for me and my budget, I have it narrowed down to Sig and Springfield unless I can find a deal on a good used 1911. There are so many 1911's out there it's hard to just own 1 but that is something I am hoping I can build on.

Quite a bit of good advice here already. I have been down this path and had built for me a custom 1911. I also have 2 higher end "semi's" - Baer SRP & Nighthawk GRP. Guess I like initials.

If I was to do it all over, I would find a gently used 1911 from a Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, or Brown. Buy it, don't baby it and shoot it often. Do this for two years and then decide if you need another. Had I done this I would still own a 1911, still shoot it on occasion and saved big $'s. Everyone should own a 1911!

A Springfield Range Officer will have a lot of popular basic features on a factory-built gun with forged frame and slide. If you look around for a lightly-used one you can find them for between $750 and $850, which is not too far from their new price (depending on what shop you use and if they're charging full retail).

1911-a1-45e.jpg

Once you get the 1911 fever, it becomes an obsession to find the best platform out there. As several of the replies have commented on, the level of 1911 platforms and price points vary. I've owned just about all of them over the years, less Ed Brown, Wilson, and Night hawk. Brownings concept is a proven platform over 100 years, and a slue of companies have cashed in on thier randition of it. Out the box average to above average good shooters, are all production 1911's. Every one has thier list of favorites incliding myself. After many years I have over 10 in my collection. My three "Production" 1911's are the Sig Fastback(Commander 4 1/4" 45acp), Sig P238(Baby 1911, like Colt Mustang in 380), and STI Spartan(9mm). All are top shelf shooters out the box, and carry well. As far as who's the "Best", it's ones personal opinon. I have several Fusion Firearms, which are custom built to my spec's, and price points from $1500-$2200. Bob Serva owner was once employeed by Dan Wesson, and speerheaded alot of thier top shelf models to include the Valor, and it's different configurations. When CZ bought out the Company, Bob unhappy with the new direction they were taking on 1911 platforms, left the company, and started his own. For a few years they used STI frames, in thier builds, but with in the past two years purchased CNC equipment and buid thier own.(Less double stack STI moly frame). They are top shelf in all respects, built to your spec's with Bob's influence to get the best end product. Thier price points are still less expensive than the Ed Browns, and Wilson's. Thier customer service is A1!!! Any 1911 you chose that fits good in your hand will work with practice. If price point is a consideration, any of the $700-$1200 1911's can achieve your desired end. A quick and inexpensive add to any 1911, are VZ grips, which enable you to better hold on to the gun scenero. Thier price points are less than $100, and dress up your 1911, to your personal prefrence. Probably best scenero is to visit a range in your area, and rent different makes that intrest you. Thus finding the one that works best for you. As you can see by my reply, I am addicted to 1911's, and you will be as well, upon purchasing one. Don't just think about which is the best for monies spent. Buy the one you want, shoot it, enjoy it, get good with it, and buy more as time goes on. Capttom1!!!