• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 22 available

Buck44

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2011
I have two rifles that I love. I am an avid squirell hunter and love to shoot. I have a Rem 541T with a simmons Mag 44 and a ruger 10/22 with a zeiss 4.5 x 14. Neither shoot as well as I wish..
Now I don't mean rediculous but if money were no object what is the best .22 available... and practical for hunting...??

Re: Best 22 available

If you are serious and I mean serious about what you are asking and want to buy one ready to shoot buy an Anschutz. There are no better rifles out of the box than the MPR.

I own Ruger 77-22's, Rem 40X's, Winchester 52's, a BRNO Model 4, an Anschutz 64 MPR and an Anschutz 54.18.

I choose to shoot the Anschutz 64 MPR because it is the most consistent and accurate 22 lr firearm I own. It was that way right out of the box.

If your into squirrel hunting you can't go wrong with a 1712 Anschutz. Put that Ziess you already own on top of it and you got an awesome setup.

I use the same setup and mine shoots FANTASTIC!

My father owns a 1710 that must be 40yrs old topped with a fixed 4 power luppy (scope is as old as the rifle). Other than being a bit beat up, it still shoots as well as my 3yr old 1712 and he's killed more squirrels with it than I'll see in my lifetime.

Anschutz would get my vote. But if you are willing to build a rifle up, the Sako Quad trainers are pretty awesome.

Right now my Quad would be the last rimfire that I would part with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two rifles that I love. I am an avid squirell hunter and love to shoot. I have a Rem 541T with a simmons Mag 44 and a ruger 10/22 with a zeiss 4.5 x 14. Neither shoot as well as I wish..
Now I don't mean rediculous but if money were no object what is the best .22 available... and practical for hunting...?? </div></div>

If your 541T doesn't shoot as well as you like you are not shooting the proper ammo. I've never seen a bad shooting 541T.
The Zeiss scope is most likely not a proper match for your 10-22, as parallax is not set for the 22LR.

Wow. Thanks for the response. I have tried a few diff ammo's in the 541t. Cci seems to be best but I haven't tried but a couple others. I am going to try and gather several others for both guns.
Why is the Swiss wrong? It was the best scope I could find in short notice.
Also.. How often do u guys clean the barrel on ur 22? What do u use and how. Thanks!!

My suggestion is to throw the Zeiss on your 541T and the Simmons on your 10/22, and try some different loads out of the Remington before deciding on getting another rifle.

If you want "best period"

I see it as a tie between the:
~F27A challenger
~Blieker
~Calfee custom

But those are for various tasks (bench, prone, kneeling, ect)
But they are "holes in holes, in holes" accurate.

However, most cost thousands, and zero of them are practical for hunting. (when i say thousands, i mean upwards of 10K)

Then, once you get into that realm, you start looking at ammo costs too. A good example is some of the factory-selected ELEY rounds, which can run almost a buck a shot.

For hunting I would buy a Kid Supergrade and have it all. It will shoot as good as Annie.

I asked Dan Lilja (rifle barrel maker) his opinion. Since he has produced barrels that have won olympic gold, I figured I would start with the barrel and work my way back to the action. I was trying to avoid spending the money on a full size Anschutz, since this was going to be used by one of my kids. He recommended the Sako Finnfire P94S. This rifle has drop-in barrels that can be switched out in minutes by anyone.
The Sako Finnfire P94S is hard to find, because they are no longer in production.
Good luck with your quest!

The question is about ammo? The first rule of thumb when making posts is to be specific with your questions, "best 22 available" can have a couple meanings. As you post more you will get the hang of making good and proper use of the English language.

The "best 22" can be very dependent on what your gun likes. You say your Remington likes CCI, how do you know if you haven't tried Wolf or Eley. No one can tell you what "the best" ammo is in your gun you have to determine that yourself. You can pay $22 a box for some Ultramatch but there is no guarantee your gun will shoot it any better than CCI. I suspect it will shoot Ultramatch better but I can't promise anything. Bottom line is get a box of Wolf MT,Federal 922A, UltraMatch, Eley Tenex, maybe some SK. Try them all and whatever shoots best will be fine for squirrels at normal ranges.

Building the "best" 22 is all a matter of funds
smile.gif
Hall makes a repeater action add a high quality barrel and stock....$3k later you will have a great 22LR. Annies are nice as are NULA's, Sako's Winchesters. Remington's, Cooper's etc. The CZ's while a sentimental favorite don't seem to get the accuracy raves that a nice old Remington or a Sako do.

Pat

Here is what I have and I would buy it again five times over. I have a 40X action with a McMillan Prone stock. You might go for a different stock depending on how much prone shooting you are doing. The best actions to build on in no particular order are the 40X, the Win 52D, and Anschutz 54 for factory. For custom, Stiller, Hall, and Turbo all make great actions.

If you want a repeater, I believe that Hall makes one. Stiller has been developing one for years. From the factory, Anschutz is the best repeater you can find. It uses a sleeve to contact the barrel. A lot of the great smiths like to go ahead and thread that.

There are a lot of great rimfire smiths out there. Calfee is a name that comes up a lot, but he is way backordered.

For a list of top benchrest smiths, look under the Gunsmith column here:
http://ara.benchrest.net/10OutdoorResults/National-Tourn-Equipm.htm

Lilja makes great barrels as do Krieger, Benchmark, Shilen, etc., etc.

The sky really is the limit on rimfires, but you need to not only consider money, but also time. Parts and smiths can take a while to get to the front of the line.

BTW, if money actually is an object, I think the best value is a stock Anschutz if you want something that can run along with everything else and is a repeater.

For a non-repeater, another way to go is to get a 40X receiver from the CMP and a PTG bolt. That is a relatively inexpensive way to end up with a very good action to build on.

If you are concerned with hunting rifle, go with a repeater not a SS. If a bolt gun, I would say Win 52 C or Rem 40X sporter repeater. Semi auto, if you could find one would be an OLD Weatherby Mark 22 I think they were called. I have had some that would shoot MOA at 100 and you can set them to SS for the kids with the flip of a switch.
For the 52 you will need a small game Unertl, Lyman Fecker etc. Many will shoot sub MOA to 100 and 1.5 MOA at 200. Standard Wt target is the lightest one except the sporter which is very expensive. IMO no SS is a small game rifle of the top notch. JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often do u guys clean the barrel on ur 22? What do u use and how. Thanks!! </div></div>
I clean my barrel everytime I shoot it. I use a Silicone Rag and wipe it down... oh, wait... you meant the "inside" of the barrel??? It is very, very rare I clean the bore... I'll do it when accuracy drops off which can be several hundred plus rounds.

When you do clean, get yourself a GOOD bore guide and a GOOD rod to minimize chances of damage to your barrel and clean from the breech end. I send a wet patch through, let it sit for 5 minutes then hit it with a brush - scrubbing well. Then dry patches till they are clean. Then 5 rounds to re-lube the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two rifles that I love. I am an avid squirell hunter and love to shoot. I have a Rem 541T with a simmons Mag 44 and a ruger 10/22 with a zeiss 4.5 x 14. Neither shoot as well as I wish..
Now I don't mean rediculous but if money were no object what is the best .22 available... and practical for hunting...?? </div></div>

If you want a super accurate 22 i can fix you up. Ask Carter mayfield. All you need is money. Unless you plan on shooting in comps. what you have will work with the right ammo. Other wise go with a custom gun that is a proven shooter. Bye proven i mean a gun that will shoot like you want it to or you get your money back.

BTW... you're issue is really your final catch in your OP... "practical for hunting." I 20# super accurate bench gun just went out the window.

The Annie still fits the bill or maybe a Cooper 57M. Your wallet will definitely lighten a bit with either.

Honestly, its kinda been covered - but your 541 might just need different ammo than whatever it is you are using (CCI). Try some sub-sonic match ammo... Eley, RWS, Wolf, etc... one of those may make your 541 sing a different tune.

Where is the best place to get match ammo? Do many of them offer hollow points?

Midwayusa.com is a good start. I believe every match round I have seen is round tip with a dimple. Hollow point is generally reserved for high-speed stuff which generally means... less accurate.

Really?! The only problem with that is sometimes a round ball in the neck will let the squack get away.... Seems more humane to use a hollow point..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midwayusa.com is a good start. I believe every match round I have seen is round tip with a dimple. Hollow point is generally reserved for high-speed stuff which generally means... less accurate.</div></div>

As long as you only use Eley;-)

Hollow points generally suck for accuracy. Eley has the dimple. I don't know any other match bullets that do, but I am limited in what I have tried: Eley, RWS, Wolf MT, Fiocchi (haven't tried it, but I have a box and have cracked it open).

Listen to NesikaBay. He holds the current record for the 100 yard comp here on the Hide... and will soon hold the 200, no doubt.

The only issue is that his is a single shot, but I am sure he can set you up with a repeater. Honestly, I have varmint hunted with a single shot and had no issue. When your stick is accurate enough, you don't need a follow up shot, and when you get used to a single shot, you can load it plenty fast (in the prone at least).

Carter, I don't have it on me right now... but I'm next to positive my R50 does as well.

Hope you are safe down there! Crazy stuff up North of you!

I want to thank everyone for their input on this... I have a ton of information to use to better my skills. I not only intend to buy a "dream" .22lr rifle but I intend to make the two that I already own shoot better.
I am leaving tomorrow for a Moose hunt in Alaska but will be grabbing my .22's as soon as I return.

Sincere thanks.
SHanonBUckingham

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carter, I don't have it on me right now... but I'm next to positive my R50 does as well.

Hope you are safe down there! Crazy stuff up North of you!</div></div>

I have some friends who just bought a house less than a year ago and had it burn down. He just finished building a deck.

Luckily, we are safe, but we need rain badly.

It's cooler here now but still very dry. Stay safe and I'll remember you and your S. TX compatriots in my prayers.

Now back to your regularly scheduled posting... sorry for the short hi-jack.

Rico, check your RWS. Mine have no dimple. That is part of an Eley proprietary process. If RWS had Eley's bullet, that might be the best ammo ever.