• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best .22LR setup for under $1,000

g8r777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
I'm looking to get into long range rifle shooting. A common thread is to start on a rifle in .22LR (or other small caliber, cheap to shoot, low recoil) in order to learn technique.

I know this is a rather subjective and mostly academic question (and I will probably get answers like "whatever feels most comfortable"). But in an effort to reduce what seems like thousands of combinations of rifles and scopes to a somewhat manageable number, I shall ask:

What combination of rifle and scope (and various other components) would make for a decent shooting starter rifle with a budget of $1,000?

I am not partial to .22LR. If there are decent rifles in other low-recoil cartridges, I welcome those suggestions as well.

Thank you,

Brian

Re: Best .22LR setup for under $1,000

Find an older Anschutz Match 54 for about $600, a set of 11mm dovetail rings for $50 and a Weaver T20 for about $300. They can all be had if you shop around.

After trolling around SH for a couple of months now I was wondering the same thing. I've been shooting for most of my life and hitting what I'm aiming at (mostly) but have been learning that there is more to riding this horse than just sitting on the saddle and not falling off.

Thinking about purchasing another .22 just to start from the beginning and learn all over.

Has anyone tried the savage .22 Mk II TRR?

1000 bucks can get you a pretty bad@$$ setup in rimfire land. Im happy with what I put together for well under 1000.

CZ452 .22LR
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9
Leapold rings, Rimfire Tech. pica mount
Boyds Tacticool Stock, Rock Ridge bipod (not as tuff as a harris but easily holds up on a 22 and is 50% the price of my identical harris on my 308)

Total it was about 870-880. You could definitely cut some corners and get a few things cheaper. My leapold rings were 56 bucks for instance... and you dont NEED a different stock...

cz452tacticool.jpg

Savage is a great value, though clearly made for inexpensive production. Excellent accuracy, and while the AccuTrigger won't ever mistaken for a match trigger, it;s pretty darn good for a gun available as cheap as $200.

CZ barrels are great, triggers are pretty good and amenable to tweaks from a few dollars to $100 replacement. Old World quality.

I believe $1000 for a .22 set up is an overkill, unless you just want to...

My under $600 setup (MarkII + Burris Timberline + Weaver rings) shoots just as great as Anschutz, kidding aside: read the post below on "Savage MarkII Accuracy Results."

Just a thought...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> shoots just as great as Anschutz </div></div>

That's what everyone (myself included) said/says until they finally get a good Annie.

If I had $1000 for a 22lr at the moment, I would find someone selling an Anschutz 64MSR or 64MPR, put a SWFA 16X SS or a Falcon 4-14 on it, modify some old Savage mags from Brownell's and be good to go for a long time.

The two 64's I mentioned have triggers almost as good as the best Annie match triggers. I'd shy away from used 54 and 64 match (3P) rifles as many were club guns and have LOTS of miles on them. If its a used 54 from a private party that's a different story, but usually can't be found for $600. The 64 action is just as good if it hasn;t had a life generations of junior team members banging the bolt against the sear.

anschutz and some good glass. If you want to step up from 22lr, find a savage 223, and some decent glass. 223 is low recoil and cheap to shoot relative to other centerfire calibers.

that said, I built a mk2 fvt into a trainer where I could use the peep setup or a scope with qd rings.I like projects and did this one mostly for fun. But, the most accurate 22lr I have shot was a Valmet finnish lion single shot I bought and then sold (stupidly). It was built like a tank, with a weight to match.
my savage build: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...385#Post2058385

OK, I'll be different.

Build a 10/22 with a KID barrel and KID trigger group.

The KID trigger is as good a two-stage match trigger as I have ever used. My 10/22 will print solid MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards with Wolf Match Extra, which is $70/500 rounds.

The are a lot of good ways to go. The CZ452 and Savage Mark II series are good out of the box. A lot of people don't like using glass that cost as much or morethan a rimfire rifle, but if you shoot it a lot, why not have decent glass?

I went with a Savage Mark II TR and a Nikon Monarch 4-16x40 mildot scope. This I gives it a very similar feel to my long range bolt rifles. It is good for 5 shot groups <1" at 75 yards right out of the box.

SavageMarkIITRltside.jpg

You could also do a 10/22 build or buy from a custom smith, but you may not have much if any left for glass.

SavageMarkIITRrtside2.jpg

Another option but less accurate in stock configuration is the 10/22 target tactical. Mine wears a Redfield 4-12x40 <$200 scope.

2010-11-03163712.jpg

I have two cz 452 and like them a lot they both shot better than I can
you cant go wrong with any of the suggestions here

Love my cz, the 453 trigger screws up half the time, but it is a shooter, you can pick up a new annie mpr for 800 + 300 scope and rings maybe a little more for a bipod. Savage is very well spoken of as well only shot an older one that fouled quickly.

Depending on where you are at, and if that is your price range, I would be tempted to go savage, and spend the extra money on a can, if you can have one where you live.

I would recomend A CZ452 American or Varmint. By far the most accurate .22s I have owned. They outshot my customized 10/22s right out of the box. I believe their hammerforged barrels as well. I have never owned an Anshultz. Savages are nice as well like the acu-triggers.

i bought a savage awhile back,(btvlss) i wasnt really impressed at first, it was ok and the accutrigger was kind of junky to me.well i stuck with it and now its a KEEPER!!! i think it was more shooter development than anything. im just winging along with cci blazers and then put some wolf in it,look out. im really glad i bought one now.

Re: Best .22LR setup for under $1,000 Have a 40x

You could have my 40x for $775 and have money left over for a scope.

Re: Best .22LR setup for under $1,000 Have a 40x

You interested in getting rid of your 40X rich? Got any details on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berzerkrobot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1000 bucks can get you a pretty bad@$$ setup in rimfire land. Im happy with what I put together for well under 1000.

CZ452 .22LR
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9
Leapold rings, Rimfire Tech. pica mount
Boyds Tacticool Stock, Rock Ridge bipod (not as tuff as a harris but easily holds up on a 22 and is 50% the price of my identical harris on my 308)

Total it was about 870-880. You could definitely cut some corners and get a few things cheaper. My leapold rings were 56 bucks for instance... and you dont NEED a different stock...

cz452tacticool.jpg
</div></div>

Nice, and they have that in LH . . . . . . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get one of these.
A 40X or an Annie 54 match and dont look back.

038.jpg
</div></div>
Nice rigs! I'll second that idea, either Anschutz, or 40X. Both are as good as it gets. I inherited an Anschutz repeater that is an amazing shooter with good ammo. Don't forget, since you can't effectivly handload rimfire, you need to find the ammo that your rifle wants. My 10/22 shoots really good with Eley, and the Annie wants Lapua.

^ I'll 3rd that. They are just the most accurate shooters in the comps section, and very pretty to look at too.

I think it depends on how you plan to use it. If it's just a trainer to learn fundamental skills for eventual centerfire shooting, I say spend less than $1,000. If you think you'll shoot rimfire as a dedicated pursuit, spend all you can.

I have no experience or opinion on a rifle for a dedicated rimfire enthusiast.

I just put together a trainer with a Savage MK II FV. Scope is a Millett TRS-1 in mil/mil on a 25 moa base in cheap rings. I did some work to make it dimensionally very close to my primary rifle, adding a cheekpiece and raising the butt. I built those pieces and traded for the bipod, so no cost to me.

Rifle - $250
Scope - $300
Base - $40
Rings - $15
Anti-Cant Level - $20
Krylon - $5

Total - $630

With Eley Target, it shoots 3/8" groups at 50 yards and 1" groups at 100 yards. Spend the remaining $370 on 3,700 rounds of good ammo and learn to shoot.

Final note, the Savage in the tupperware stock like mine is <span style="text-decoration: underline">light</span>. So light it magnifies any errors in my technique, making them painfully visible. At first I didn't like this, but I'm thinking now that it's a feature, not a negative. I'm learning at a high rate of speed on this thing because it is so revealing.

CIMG3388.jpg

CZ 452 Varmint here. I have a 10/22 with GM bbl and the CZ out shoots it. It is my best shooting .22.

The CZ will not break the bank, and will allow you to start from the ground up, buy good glass, and lot and lots of ammo for $1000.

Ruger 77/22 with Burris 3x9 and AWC suppressor. I have shot the crap out of this set-up.

I've got less than $1000 in my 452 Varmint. Even after cutting it down, threading it, and having it duracoated. Fighting the urge to get the Boyd's stock. I did put a taticool on one of my 10/22's and am really thinking the bolt gun needs to match it...

I also have less than 1000 in my 40X. It helps that I got the rifle from CMP for $475...

My 40X is by far my most accurate .22. I've modded two 10/22's for accuracy and one as a std weight plinker. All three of them came in well under your price point without glass. Leaving somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-500 for a scope to hit your budget.

If I was going to have only one rimfire rifle. I'd be torn between the 40X and an Anschutz (I will have one again someday).

Here is what I have so far.

Savage MKII FV - $225
Wallis Forge stock - $265 (will be delivered monday)

Plan to add a EGW or Rimfire Tech base- $40
Weaver tactical rings - $25

Have not decided on what glass yet. Also would like to get a larger bolt handle. Any ideas on where or who I should look at for the bolt? Not bad for $555 so far. I will start a build thread when my stock comes in and get some pics up.

I've got a EGW base that I just took off of a Cabelas TR model that I never used. I'd sell it for $35 shipped if you are interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is what I have so far.

Savage MKII FV - $225
Wallis Forge stock - $265 (will be delivered monday)

Plan to add a EGW or Rimfire Tech base- $40
Weaver tactical rings - $25

Have not decided on what glass yet. Also would like to get a larger bolt handle. Any ideas on where or who I should look at for the bolt? Not bad for $555 so far. I will start a build thread when my stock comes in and get some pics up.
</div></div> That sounds like a good rig so far, but if it were me, instead of getting the FV and the Wallis Forge stock I would just get the TR with the Boyd's stock on it already and the fluted barrel. You really won't regret it. and you'll have a little more $$$ for the glass. Ask the guys on here, and I'm sure that noone will have anything bad to say about the TR. Just my .02 though. The Wallis stock is pretty freaking cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find an older Anschutz Match 54 for about $600, a set of 11mm dovetail rings for $50 and a Weaver T20 for about $300. They can all be had if you shop around. </div></div>
It's a rare 54 that goes for $600...

Great looking rig!
Is that the American or the Varmint? Which barrel profile do the Boyds stocks fit the best?
Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackwinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find an older Anschutz Match 54 for about $600, a set of 11mm dovetail rings for $50 and a Weaver T20 for about $300. They can all be had if you shop around. </div></div>
It's a rare 54 that goes for $600... </div></div>

When I was looking for one I was seeing some 1411s out there around 600-700. I wound up with a 1413 supermatch. Secondly, you need to decide how much you need in the accuracy department. Anschutz is the pinnacle, but CZ and Savage offer great value.

To the above comment that the Savage shoots as well as any Anschutz - that is a pipe dream. I had a MKII for awhile and enjoyed it. It was very capable. However, you would think that the competition shooters would have figured out the error of their ways if that was the case. It simply isn't. Period.

Josh

Anschutz wins Olympic gold medals, Fiocchi 320 and 340M awesome @ 100 yds. out of my M1413 Supermatch.....a lot of ammunition shoots great @ 50 yards, see what it does @100 yds then decide. xray9

I agree with what 168BTHPM says, and older Anschutz 54 match action can be had for a steal (relative to the newer models) approximately $500-600. I personally have had several, including the 64 Silhouette model and they have been the most accurate .22s I have ever shot right out of the box. Go with a heavy varmint style barrel, Talley rings and a leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm CDS scope, should come in about $1000-1100.

Well, guess i'm the only fan of the old Winchesters around here,so here's my entry. This is a Model 52 from the '30s. Got it off Gunbroker for just under $600 with shipping and ffl fees.It's wearing a different scope now but still under $1000 and will hit a quarter at 100yds just about every time.
14lq2i1.jpg

One thing about the old classics is they will go up in value instead of down,whether a Win 52, 40X, or Annie.

Go with the Ruger 10/22 target tactical

Total cost with scope was about $600 (including tax)

works great everytime....

rug1.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

You say you want to learn long range shooting. That means to me no semi autos or light weight sporters and shooting off the bench or prone. A second hand target Annie will shoot most rifles into the ground and be a similar weight to a full blown centrefire long range rifle.
Mounts will cost a bit and the scope will need target turrets and at least 16 mag. Its the scope you need to spend the money on. Basically you are bench rest shooting and learning the wind and all the other factors that make up long range shooting but at no more than 120m. Use best ammunition as its the small group changes that tell the story. The .22lr can teach you some of what you want, but you will eventually need to shoot the real thing; sooner than you think.

If however you just want to improve your field marksmanship then any half decent bolt action .22 will do. Fundamentally the .22lr is a tack driver until the range and conditions start to push its capability: 120m is about it and after that its praying and the data isn't worth taking. Most of what you want to learn you can do at 25m, 50m, and 75 where the data is truthful.

Good luck.

Why 22? Why not 17HMR? Savage has a pretty nice TR series that look like a mini GAP Crusader... in the right light... ok well maybe not so much but still:

dsc01612s.jpg

Hah. I see others beat me to the Savage TR model. Guess I should have waited for the pictures to load.

CZ%20455%20with%20Boyd%27s%20Tacticool%20Stock.JPG

CZ 455: 399 on gunbroker
Boyd's CZ 452 Stock: 92 from Boyd's
DIP rail: 45 bucks
Scope & Rings off another rifle that's with the 'smith right now..been paid for for years.

The 452 stock will not fit the 455 without drilling two new action screw holes and some inletting...spent a morning at the drill press and filing making it fit.

I think $1000 is an awfully large amount of money for the task. Yes, it buys good design and workmanship. Accuracy is a direct and logical consequence.

While I agree that accuracy is important, I stop short of believing that extreme accuracy is such a valuable part of the training process.

So how much accuracy is enough?

It's my belief that the .22lr cartridge has substantial inherent accuracy all by its own. Enough so that pretty much any .22lr rifle that's in reasonably good shape will reflect this.

For my needs, consistency is the key issue. Training, for me, is about sensing/judging consistency of performance. As long as a rifle's inherent performance is consistent enough to not be a key factor in judging overall performance, then it's accurate enough

To me; it's not about how small it shoots, but rather about how small it's shooting today.

I also think it's missing the point to believe that because you're shooting small today, there was something wasted about the session. Such performance confirms skills, and if one were to say, 'Hey I'm just good, leave it at that', and stop those periodic session, maybe that good performance would not be yours for long.

Training is not just about improving marksmanship performance; it's about maintaining it, too. Marksmanship is a perishable skill.

Sure, everyone can ride a bike once they learn how, but the good ones do it every day. Once the limits are uncovered, they are not there for the purpose of frustrating you, or boring you; they are there to reassure you that you can reach them on demand.

How else will that confidence survive if one neglects the training?

As for that $1000 is concerned; in my world it would buy the kit and a whole lot of ammo besides, and maybe that's the whole point.

Greg

Certainly the .22LR once set up is so consistently accurate that any changes in score or group sizes can be put down to the conditions: the external conditions and that of the shooter. Its not the rifle or ammunition.

When I was shooting 25m .22LR small bore a coffee 20 minutes before would cost me 2 points; a cigarette 2 points and missed practice session 2 points.

The used 54's that I see are $1000+. If you find a reasonable one please P.M. me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get one of these.
A 40X or an Annie 54 match and dont look back.

038.jpg
</div></div>

What kind of glass are those and where can I purchase one?

Greg couldn't be more correct. Get a good rifle, put quality glass on it, and buy a bunch of different ammo to see what she likes best, and stock up on that. And shoot the piss out of her.

We can pick up second hand ex target 54 action Annies for about $450. Had one with a cut barrel for $120; so threaded, moderated and scoped it; still a tack driver. Heavy, single shot and made bunny bashing from a truck almost a formality. Look out for an old BSA martini action target rifle; should be cheap and well accurate.

An old best .22LR target rifles are imho a better buy than a made to a price modern auto for what you want. Some can look a bit rough but they go on for ever.

I am a rimfire junky and have had all kinds of 22LR and 22WMR.I have a Anschutz and a Suhl and a few more.I always said why in the world would somebody spend that much on a 22 til I got one.They all make some that shoot good but with your cheaper end ones you may go through a few before you get one that shoots but in your higher end ones you will tell the difference once you hold it in your hand and work the action.And accuracy is there every shot.If you think about it if you buy a high end centerfire you will spend in ammo what a nice rimfire costs especially if you don`t reload.And I am not knocking cheap 22s I coon hut with a $100 cricket and I have some cheaper ones as well but accuracy wise they are not in the same league.CZ for the money is the best buy in my opinion that doesn`t sacrifice on accuracy or quality.But if you buy a Annie,Suhl,40X,37 or such be ready to get HOOKED it is worse than drugs!

Viper 762,

You may very well have found the Holy Grail then. Finding a $75 rifle/optic combo that works along with the ammo that matches it as quickly as you have stated is definately the exception and not the rule. Consider yourself extremely fortunate.

The reason people spend the money on a quality name rimfire is to increase the chances of finding "the one" that performs like your Higgins.

I will grant you that there are many instances where it does come down to the archer and not the arrow; but compared to centerfire rifles; rimfires are VERY temperamental. There are a lot of great shooters on this board that are very capable of 250 yard rimfire shots; but are limited by a kit that isn't.

Welcome to the board and thanks for your service.

~ Rico

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g8r777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to get into long range rifle shooting. A common thread is to start on a rifle in .22LR (or other small caliber, cheap to shoot, low recoil) in order to learn technique.

I know this is a rather subjective and mostly academic question (and I will probably get answers like "whatever feels most comfortable"). But in an effort to reduce what seems like thousands of combinations of rifles and scopes to a somewhat manageable number, I shall ask:

What combination of rifle and scope (and various other components) would make for a decent shooting starter rifle with a budget of $1,000?

I am not partial to .22LR. If there are decent rifles in other low-recoil cartridges, I welcome those suggestions as well.

Thank you,

Brian </div></div>

The OP(Brian)made 1 post and never responded back,hmm.Where'd ya go?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The used 54's that I see are $1000+. If you find a reasonable one please P.M. me. </div></div>

Trapper...and others,

You have to wait around for a bit but I have seen quite a few Anschutz 54s (1411 trim) for less than this one. If anyone has an issue with this link, PM me. It is simply an example.

Link

Josh