• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 300 PRC powder?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    What’s everyone using for their 300 PRC?

Plan to use:

Lapua brass
    CCI 250
    Hornady 212 ELDX

I use H4350 in my 300 WM

This is for an AXMC with a 1/9 twist 27” Win Tac barrel

I’m currently reading through the past threads but figured up to date info won’t hurt either

Thanks

Reactions: Sig Marine
    AR2225/Retumbo best or A2217/H1000

I think you could get much more speed for equivalent pressure with those in winmag too.

Screenshot_20210727-215350_Chrome.jpg

Woo Boy! You will get some opinions on this one.
    I have used;

H1000 so/so
    RL26 very good
    RL33 Decent
    Magnum so/so
    TAC nope
    LRT decent
    Retumbo very good
    N565 decent
    N570 decent
    Burn rate chart

I'd generally agree with this, though from my experience I'd swap RL33 and H1000 on your list. Retumbo seems to be the new unobtanium, so doesn't really matter. Haven't used Magnum, TAC or LRT so can't comment.

It's more about "what you can get" ... than "what you would like". I use Accurate MagPro because I have lots of it. It works just fine for me and the 300-PRC barrel on my Barrett MRAD.

In mine RL-26 gave me the best group but, wasnt very temperature stable. Since its a hunting rifle I settled on Retumbo

The one you can get your hands on! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
    AR2225/Retumbo best or A2217/H1000

I think you could get much more speed for equivalent pressure with those in winmag too.

View attachment 7675398
    not sure how old that data is. but i can't find it ANY where on their website?

i currently only have load data using h1k for a 200 grain projectile

200grain eldX + 74 grains of h1k was right around 2840fps

i purchased some IMR 7977 to load. but have not yet

Last edited:
    not sure how old that data is. but i can't find it ANY where on their website?

i currently only have load data using h1k for a 200 grain projectile

200grain eldX + 74 grains of h1k was right around 3k FPS

i purchased some IMR 7977 to load. but have not yet
    300PRC H1000 and Retumbo, obviously velocity is for 24 inch test barrel. I don't understand why people say use faster powders for shorter barrel, for the same peak pressure the slow powder will yield higher velocity from what, like 2 inches onward?

Screenshot_20210729-133846_Chrome.jpg

I don't understand why people say use faster powders for shorter barrel, for the same peak pressure the slow powder will yield higher velocity from what, like 2 inches onward?
    1627530979991.gif

Powder choice depends on chambering and bullet weight, not what happens after everything is already up to speed feet out ahead of the chamber.
    1627531050343.png

I like to use faster powder in shorter barrels because it doesn't burn as much powder in the suppressor.

Gas port and muzzle exit pressure can be significantly higher with slower burn rates if those are a concern (usually not in a bolt gun unless muzzle exit pressure causes poor accuracy). Velocity ES can suffer in shorter barrels, but it's case-by-case.

Any load data for Berger 230’s with Retumbo, H1000 or R26? I’ve got a load with n570 @ 2910 just looking for a little better sd. 1:8 26” barrel

Thank you for the info

Keep it coming. Likely be next spring before I do my load testing as I’m busy shooting currently and won’t have the components/time until then anyways

The rifles ready to rock, so that’s a start
    C5C51FEE-B812-40D2-9322-18D1DBB112A7.jpeg

Picking up 5 lbs of RL26 that my local store had siting on the shelf. Going to start there with some 212 ELDX

I'm actually getting solid and repeatable results from Accurate MagPro in my 300-PRC ... and I've actually been able to find it during this "Powderpocalypse". Would like to use Retumbo ... but I've only got a couple of pounds of it and I need it for my .338-Lapua.

Looks like I got lucky and scored 8-16 lbs of Retumbo. Depending what the guy who has it plans to keep

Lapua 300 PRC
    CCI 250
    212 ELDX

I will have enough RL26 or Retumbo to use either for a while

Any good starting points with the above components in a 27” AXMC 1:9?

Running h1000 with 230 atips on mine. 79.5gr is getting me 2980's with 28" barrel. Getting consistent SDs around 8-9 fps (still pretty new to reloading to so im hoping to get that around/below sd of 5 fps)
    Are you using Magnum primers or BR? What is your COL?

So I’ll have a stash of both Retumbo and RL26

What would you start with?

Scored some Lapua brass. Time to start testing the 300 prc

I have the 212 ELDX yet to try. Will be a long range deer killer with the PRC barrel

Since I’ve had so long looking for brass to acquire powder I have 8 lbs of Retumbo and 5 lbs of RL26 I’ve acquired. With more access to the Retumbo if I need. So I’ll probably try that first. Being a more temp stable and more available powder it seems

I also have some RL 33 to try if needed left from my 338 LM

Turned down a couple lbs of H1000 the other day. Only because the most I could get is 2 lbs. As my supplier was limited to that. I didn’t want to find a great load with unobtainable powder

My Favourite 300 PRC Powder and Projectiles combo:
    BERGER 245 EOL or 230 ATIP & N570 82.3gn SINGLE Hole at 100 and easy at ELR mid to 1800. 2nd R26 same projectiles, 3rd AR2217 (H1000 equive). R33 wouldn’t stabilise with this rifle. CCI BR2s, 3.770 COL, Neck Turned Hornady Brass. 26” 9:1 T. 250 ATIP required 7.5:1.

Reactions: category_theory
    Tested a couple rounds of 245 EOLs yesterday in the yard for velocity. 78 grains of N565 was 2846 and zero pressure. I was shocked by mild recoil with a .338 can. I'm excited to try it with a brake.

Reactions: category_theory
    My best results with my Barrett MRAD in 300-PRC are with Hornady 225-ELDM's and 77.4 grains of Hodgdon Retumbo. Average velocity of 2856 and SD's around 8.0 ... nice tight groups. Testing H1000 next since I scored some a couple of weeks ago.