• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best 300PRC reamer?

Cayenne6

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2017
Looking at starting my next project. I would rather just buy the reamer and take to the smith with my parts. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Looking at starting my next project. I would rather just buy the reamer and take to the smith with my parts. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dpp
  • Haha
Reactions: Geno C.
There isn’t much to improve on the saami reamer if you’re shooting the 200-230gr match bullets. Body dimensions are good for hornady brass. If your Smith already has it, might as well use it. Magazine constraints or bullets off the beaten path may require some alterations to saami specs.

PTG is very hit and miss. My reamer happens to be from them and works very well. Manson and JGS also have the saami version.

There isn’t much to improve on the saami reamer if you’re shooting the 200-230gr match bullets. Body dimensions are good for hornady brass. If your Smith already has it, might as well use it. Magazine constraints or bullets off the beaten path may require some alterations to saami specs.

PTG is very hit and miss. My reamer happens to be from them and works very well. Manson and JGS also have the saami version.

That’s what started my hunt, both of the smiths I would use are to busy slapping out 6 & 6.5 variations to local guys like candy and don’t have a reamer and neither want to buy one just to do one rifle. I figure I’ll just buy one and then have it for the next barrel....or rent it out to them ?

When did PTG head downhill? It’s been a couple of years since I ordered anything from them.

That’s what started my hunt, both of the smiths I would use are to busy slapping out 6 & 6.5 variations to local guys like candy and don’t have a reamer and neither want to buy one just to do one rifle. I figure I’ll just buy one and then have it for the next barrel....or rent it out to them ?

When did PTG head downhill? It’s been a couple of years since I ordered anything from them.

Oh man, there are several threads on ptg. One was dozens of pages if I recall. They grew very fast and had some teething issues that aren’t fully resolved. Most common complain was in stock stuff doesn’t ship, or stuff ships and is incorrect, and ptg wants to charge a restock fee to return.

Back to business. Here’s a saami 300 PRC reamer. Note the tapered neck, and long freebore.
838C1C7F-1DE9-4E74-9FA9-D59DA5080E6B.jpeg

As a point of comparison, a 300 Norma has a virtually identical neck length(.325 vs .321 for PRC), but .017 less freebore than the PRC. Hornady really wanted to get the heavies out of the powder space with the PRC. Buy a box of brass, pick two bullets, pick your intended magazine, and make some dummies. Then tinker.

Reactions: Cayenne6
Oh man, there are several threads on ptg. One was dozens of pages if I recall. They grew very fast and had some teething issues that aren’t fully resolved. Most common complain was in stock stuff doesn’t ship, or stuff ships and is incorrect, and ptg wants to charge a restock fee to return.

Back to business. Here’s a saami 300 PRC reamer. Note the tapered neck, and long freebore.
View attachment 7184124

As a point of comparison, a 300 Norma has a virtually an identical neck length, but .017 less freebore than the PRC. Hornady really wanted to get the heavies out of the powder space with the PRC. Buy a box of brass, pick two bullets, pick your intended magazine, and make some dummies. Then tinker.

Thank you for the advice!

Regarding the tapered neck, the neck wall thickness of the brass is tapered to match(6.5 PRC is the same). Unless you’re going to neck turn, don’t be inclined to make the neck cylindrical like most other match reamers are.

Tinker away, but you’re best suited I think with saami imo. You’ll be able to rent it to people easier that way as well.

Last edited:
Used JGS for mine.
It is a work of art

I spec'd out a Reamer from JGS, Wheeler specs with .060 shorter freebore to run 215/220s it's perfect.