• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best .308 Box Ammo Under $20

khall540

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
Beaver Dam, WI
I wanted to get an idea of what would be the best box ammo to purchase for my Rem 700 .308 since I dont have the time or equipment to reload my own. I currently only shoot out to 600 yards and have been using American Eagle 150 grain FMJBT. Group sizing was ok for me as I was able to hit a 12" steel plate about 9 out of 14 times my first time shooting 600 yards with the American Eagle. I was looking at purchasing Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. Sierra Matchking BTHP but wanted to know if there was anything better out there. I would like to stay at under $20/box since Im just starting to shoot at 600 yards.

Thanks.

Re: Best .308 Box Ammo Under $20

I'm not even going to try an make it sound like I am a professional or an expert, but if you can find Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for less than $20, I'd suggest you go that route and don't waste your time and money on anything else.

I've shot maybe 3 or 4 different .308 ammunition brands (including Hornady Match), and Federal Gold Metal Match was the best out of my rifle....by a considerable margin. It wasn't the fastest, but it did group the best.

Palmetto State Armory would be a good place to find some FGMM (168 or 175 SKM are both under $20 if I remember correctly).

Southwest Ammo is also another route, but I have never shot any personally (until my group buy order comes in). I've read good things about their stuff and you have a few more brass/projectile combinations than with FGMM.

i like American eagle for last resort, i hand load mine, but ive had consistent groups with the 150s but i shoot hand load 178 amax.

I've shot a BUNCH of Southwest Ammo 308 (in the 2000 round range) and it is TITS! Shoots better than my handloads and I don't have spend days in the basement reloading....

With a sps tactical I could group .75 moa at 100 yards with walmarts remington corelock. It grouped 1 moa at 400yds. From a 200 yard zero 5.25 moa was dead on at 400.

I have been using American Eagle 168 Match for the M1A and have been impressed so far for all my 308s. Very consistent velocity spreads and excellent accuracy. Midway is having a sale on it the month of March for $15.59 a box of 20. This ammo works great in my M1As and also my AR-10. Look thru the reviews at Midway where 90+% are positive.

SouthwestAmmunition.com ($18.50/box) or Palmetto State Armory ($18.99/box) for 175smk.

I just ordered FGMM from Palmetto in 168 and 175 and they were both under $20 a box. I am not sure what you could buy that would be better and be at your price point.

Depends on the range you are shooting it, but if it is 100-200 yards, you should buy Gold Medal Match 168's. Beyond that, Southwest 175's or Gold Medal 175's (if you can find gold medal for that.)

Gonna have to go with Southwest 175's. 18.50 for the new 2012 stuff and 17.49 for the Run N Gun. Heard great things about them! Ill be ordering some this week, plus theres a group buy i think right now

Wow what a great response. Thanks to all. I was looking at the rounds from Palmetto State Armory before I submitted my orginal post and just wanted to get a bit more reassurance before a went ahead and made my purchase. Not to get off topic but at a 600 yard range would I be better shooting a 168 grain or 175 grain over the 150's I have been shooting? Heavier the weight the more it will stabilize? That sound right?

Federal gold match 175grs gets my vote. I handload, but my friend uses that, and was able to make fairly consistent hits in low wind conditions out to 1000 yards. 175grs will retain more velocity than 168grs at longer distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot a BUNCH of Southwest Ammo 308 (in the 2000 round range) and it is TITS! Shoots better than my handloads and I don't have spend days in the basement reloading.... </div></div>

Always like to hear that kind of talk about a vendor product.

Especially one that runs a lot of specials and group buys for us like Mike at SWammo is doing now.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">SOUTHWEST AMMO GROUP BUY THREAD FOR 168 and 175 SMK</span></span> <--LINK

^^^ I think this deal ends March 2nd or 3rd ^^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New product announcement from Southwest Ammunition:

New manufactured 308
Both 168 and 175 SMK
New FC military brass
New, extremely temperature insensitive (-40 to 160 f) powder.
Ideal for gas guns and bolt rifles.

Group Buy price: <span style="font-weight: bold">$0.87 per round ($17.50 per 20 round box)</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Minimum order 200 rounds.</span>

Go the following links, select at least 10 boxes, and enter the discount codes.

175s
http://www.southwestammunition.com/product_p/308175fc.htm

group buy code: group buy 175

168s
http://www.southwestammunition.com/product_p/308168fc.htm

group buy code: group buy 168

Fits and functions in all magazines:

2edsdh4.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shipping will be 2 weeks after the close of the group buy.</span>

Thanks,

Mike

</div></div>

They're running GB's on 5.56 69's, 75's and 77's for the next few days aslo.

fish2keel: I'm still new to all of this, but I am familiar with what a rate of twist is... I just don't know what mine is. I shoot a Remington 700 LH .308 it is the Sendero with a 26" barrel. Not sure if a photo would help.
2012-02-22154710.jpg

You can ignore those remington core-lokt rounds next to my gun. It is what the guy next to me what shooting.

I am also leaning towards the Federal Gold Match because I like being able to use Federal's Ballistic Program to get an idea for the bullet drop then convert it to Mils and I can dial it in right away to my scope and get fairly close. That's how I did it with their American Eagle 150 grains and I got a second round hit at 600 yards. That was my first time ever shooting at a distance over 200 yards. Needless to say I was pretty excited to finally get a feel for what these precision instruments are capable of.

I could be wrong and if I am guys please correct me but your rate should be 1:11. I would go with either actually. Im going to say 175s although a lot of people are getting good results with 168s.

Maybe someone can chime in on the federals. All I know is that the Southwest ammo seems to be the next best thing to hand loading and seems to shoot awesome. You could always just give a box or two of both a try

another vote for the FGMM. My gun loves the 175 SMKs but i cant really find MUCH of a difference between that and the 168s. i also shoot the 180 grain Federal Vital-Shock for hunting. also, shoots great. im shooting an FN SPR with Douglas barrel in 1:10 twist. i like heavy bullets and my vote is palmetto state for the 175 grainers

+1 for Southwest Ammo. I shoot strictly their 175gr SMK with Lapua brass.....nothing else gets the privilege of going down the barrel of my rifle. It's as close to a custom handload as you can get.

Only think close may be Bryan Litz's stuff (Im sure its just as good.....he wrote the book on reloading etc).

palmetto should still have fggm for under $20. I got 5 boxes about a week ago.

Another vote for FGMM 168/175 at Palmetto State Armory. Fast shipping and low prices, what more could you want?

I've heard great things about SW Ammo as well, I need to try some but I trust those that have shot it and love it.

Southwest Ammunition is great, under $20 bucks a box and there are group buys that make it even cheaper. If you're ever in a pinch for some ammo, they'll help you out. Their 175's is all I shoot.

I just ordered 27 boxes of the 175 grain 308 from SW Ammo yesterday (or the day before), I guess that's my vote.

Seekers

If you don't atleast try a box of the 155 Scenars from SW Ammo you are missing the boat. I picked up a Surgeon from here for a buddy who doesn't reload. We Went to the range last weekend and tried both 175 and 155 from both Corbon and SW. The 155 from both companies out shot the 175 but SW shot better.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Not much room for debate on this one.

Bought some 168 FGMM from Cabela's for under $20.00 a box but don't see this too often. My GAP really likes the 168 FGMM...

IMG_0204.jpg

Have some 175's sitting in my closet that I may try tomorrow...JaxOps