• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best 308 bullet for deer

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I've learned my lesson! Match bullets are not for deer! Almost lost a buck of a lifetime when my Federal Gold match 308-168g didn't put the big boy down ! It did after two more but these things just don't mushroom.
I am in need of a great hard hitting mushrooming 308 factory round. Any Reccomendations !??

Do you think the first shot was a leathal one? I know he didn't fall down dead on impact from reading your post. Any clue where it hit? Break the shoulders at the top of the lungs where the shoulder plate meets the spine with any 308 round if you want them to drop. If the shot was just in vitals you probably won't just knock a big bodied deer off his feet too often. There are bullets designed to give more consistent expansion but they don't always do what you want either. Any of them will kill, any of them will shut a deer off if put in the right spot. My example of the right spot is what I explained earlier. Nothing works all the time every time unless the placement is perfect. I'm sure this thread will be a few pages long pretty soon with a bunch of different opinions but that is mine and it works for me when "I do my part".

Congratulations on your buck. How big was he? I'm sure we'd all like to see pictures

There are several threads that have been active since the season is back in. "Recovered bullets from game" "Berger Juggernaut 185's" and "Post your SMK kills" are a few I can think of. Lots of information, results, proof and or opinions on this topic in those threads.

All I'm asking for is a reccomendation of a great 308 factory hunting round .... Thanks

Check out some of those threads and pick one for yourself. The recovered bullet thread has pages full of actual recovered bullets and results and stories of bullets that weren't recovered. It shows consistencies and inconsistencies of most of the bullets from one example to the next. Find one that you think satisfies what you're after then go test it in your gun at the range to see if your gun and your skill match up well with it. No ammo shoots the same from gun to gun.

Edit:
Not even one picture of your buck? Come on man

Last edited:
Since you asked. I use Barnes vor-tx in 168 grn. They seem to fly pretty well and appear to disintegrate on impact to a degree.

Last night I took an 8pt from about 150. Not a long shot but it hit where I put it and he dropped about 20yrds later. Cleaning him I see the entry, an exit, and lots of smaller sub exits.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

All I'm asking for is a reccomendation of a great 308 factory hunting round .... Thanks

Federal 150gr Nosler Partition off the shelf for medium size game.

Federal 180gr Nolser Partition off the shelf for large size game.

While they may have, I have never had a single Partition fail, the only bullet I can say that about.

good luck

168 amax has worked for me never had a deer run away when shot placement was proper

Best 308 bullet for deer

I've learned my lesson! Match bullets are not for deer! Almost lost a buck of a lifetime when my Federal Gold match 308-168g didn't put the big boy down ! It did after two more but these things just don't mushroom. I am in need of a great hard hitting mushrooming 308 factory round. Any Reccomendations !??
It's not about the bullet.

You don't need a particular type of bullet, what you need is training. Look inward: A poor craftsman will blame his tools. Instead of acknowledging what is essentially a skills issue you have chosen to perpetuate the myth that match bullets don't work for deer. Any bullet works for deer. But you've got to hit them in the right place.

When you hunt Cape buffalo bullet construction will become important to your hunting. But even then, bullet placement is key.

Last edited:
:)
damn..no one has posted that you can kill a deer with a 22LR if you are a good shot yet
Barnes VorTX is getting alot of attention lately with good results on just about every caliber

You don't need a particular type of bullet, what you need is training. Look inward: A poor craftsman will blame his tools. Instead of acknowledging what is essentially a skills issue you have chosen to perpetuate the myth that match bullets don't work for deer. Any bullet works for deer. But you've got to hit them in the right place.

When you hunt Cape buffalo bullet construction will become important to your hunting. But even then, bullet placement is key.

This. I've dropped them in their tracks with everything from Vmax's and other 'varmint' bullets to FMJ's and everything in between. The only problems I've had have all been with premium hunting bullets with the exception of a few SMK's. With Amax's, Nosler CC's and Scenars they fall where they stand 90% of the time. The other ones are running dead and just don't know it yet. I'm trying the Berger Juggernauts now and the first kill it worked perfect but I want to shoot a few more before I come to a conclusion.

Deer possess no mythical properties which allow them to shake off 30 caliber bullet strikes. Not vital ones, at least...

Is this the type of "mushroom" performance you are seeking?
0B9BF8EB-3FF4-4BBC-AD8D-CDE9CFB6E3A3-816-000000AFDECC945B_zpsa59191bf.jpg

F063B44B-E2F8-4017-81C0-1AEFF402387E-816-000000AFED55C8D9_zps1ded5d53.jpg

how much do you want to spend? Try the Federal "Premium" loaded with the 165 sierra game king. it would honestly be a lot harder for you to find a factory .308 loading that is bad for deer than to find one that's good for deer.

Exactly correct, and worth repeating.

For F@ck sakes people, quit blaming one thing or another. Any and all bullets will work if you do your part, shit, you could probably throw the whole rifle at a deer and get him if you hit him right.

OP, this question has been asked and answered at least once a week for the last month or two, just go read the last two or three threads where the last guy asked this question and got the same answer you and every other guy needs to hear.

One animal is no reason to discount ANY bullet in particular, your experience is one in thousands, an exception, not the rule.

Remington CorLokts for 30 years. Total guess on an average of 2.245222 critters/year (deer buck & does, antelope bucks and does). Just works, every single time. Longest shot 575 yards, shortest 15 yards, many many 250+ yards, several 50 yards.

Lots of good bullets out there. Put a decent bullet in the boiler maker and the things going to die. Deer don't need magic premium ultra swank magnum coated polished blah blah blah.

Have fun harvesting your deer!!

I got one with a match B just fine, one shot one kill. Hornady BTHP by the way. I also use Silvertip 150gr by Winchester. Shot placement maybe?

OP: its ok some guys like to think that every bullet works every time. until u see a match bullet pencil threw u will think they are the best. deer like soft rounds that will leave a little bigger hole. im with mt al. just buy a green box of 150s and go!!

OP: its ok some guys like to think that every bullet works every time. until u see a match bullet pencil threw u will think they are the best. deer like soft rounds that will leave a little bigger hole. im with mt al. just buy a green box of 150s and go!!

This is a foolish statement, as proven over, and over, and over, and over, again.

o coldbore!!!! hes killed it all with every bullet/cal combo!! just ask!!!!!

I use the Winchester 150 gr SuperX. The cheap stuff in the silver box. Never had a deer run. Most all hogs drop on impact too. It's not Gucci, but it works for me. -SW

I've killed hogs, pdogs, yotes, and deer with match bullets, yea they all died but I liked the way other bullets preformed on the same critters, and that's my thoughts! don't care what u can read...... and it was 9 out of 10!

Op just wanted a off the shelf ammo for deer not where u made 24K posts

Best 308 bullet for deer

Pokes,

There are things one shouldn't do while drinking: Hanging pictures, putting up shelving, bidding on Ebay and posting on a Sniper's Hide among them. ?

saw coldbore was in a bullet performance/killing thread and had to get him going again. he hates the subject, just didn't know I was going to get tag teamed!!!!

bull shits not good. but there is a reason most states let u shoot deer with a 22 cal CF rifle. they are not hard to kill. do your part. we have talked that bit before and that is what u have to do. Do your part.

I've been on a similar mission. For long range hunting I was thinking Nosler Throphy Grade 168gr E-Tip. Some claim they are not the most accurate but I have not seen anything definitive showing they are not. Nosler claims good weight retention, and they have a high B.C. for .308 hunting round. They don't open much after slowing to 1800fps, about 550 meters depending on atmospheric conditions. Availibilty is low.

Next I was looking at Vor-TX 168gr TTSX. Again, high weight retention which should result in good penetration. Lower B.C. than the above round but I think the expansion might be better at lower velocities than Nosler E-Tip so it may be comparable as far as effective range. Both the above cartridges above come in 150gr as well if you are shooting only medium game. Availibilty is OK and Barnes has a rebate through the end of the year.

The above are solid copper bullets with balistic tips. They are not your normal balistic tips in that they fragment. Both are good candidates for long range based on fair to good ballistics for .308 and high weight retention after impact.

Beyond these two I think any name brand ammo that uses lead core bonded bullets such as Nosler Accubond would also be a good option, though effective range may be reduced. I plan on sticking with 165gr or 168gr regardless giving the option for medium and large game.

Last edited:
175smks and 167 scenars does most of my killing.shot placement is what it is all about ,hit them in the right spot and they will drop,hit them poorly regardless of what your launching and they will run wounded .my freezer is always well stocked and its down to match bullets and good shot placement.(thread needs pics!!)
24m6zxz.jpg

59y3rn.jpg

314ujnk.jpg

Whatever bullet your rifle shoots the best. A 30 caliber bullet in the right spot is going to bring down a deer without any issues.

I like the 165 nosler partition. It will shoot thru both shoulders or into the chest from the rear. Fed premiums

Anybody noticed how the original poster has checked out of this conversation? Do you think that has something to do with the smartass comments that have no value to what his original question was? I direct this mainly at coldboredouche and Graham. This is my second and last post on this forum. Thank you for your outstanding insight gentlemen.

Shot placement is key. I hunt deer with factory Hornady hollowpoints out of a 22-250. A neck shot drops them.

On the other hand, I have seen a 30-06 punch the lungs out the side of a 70 pound doe (not mine) and still run over 100 yards. Pretty much any 308 round will kill deer just fine, given it is normal 100-200 pound deer not those 300 pound mutants like that fellow posted on here earlier about.