• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 308 factory cartridge for 700 SPS Tactical

britishtq

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2013
Fontana, Ca
I have an SPS Tactical chambered in 308 that I just picked up today and now I'm hunting for the round that the 20" heavy barrel likes best. It's all stock and I'll get the bell and carlson a3 soon then it's probably done.

Back to the question, what does this rifle normally like to eat?

I'd start with Fed 168 with the Sierra matchkings bthp. These & the 175s do a nice job for me.

Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills Match or Lake City Match.

168 gr out to 800 yards.

If you plan on shooting beyond 800, just shoot the 175 gr versions.

FGMM 168gr has been the best for me. I have been able to squeeze a .28" 5 shot group out of mine. The 175gr opens up just a little bit. ymmv

FGMM 168gr has been the best for me. I have been able to squeeze a .28" 5 shot group out of mine. The 175gr opens up just a little bit. ymmv

The good thing about 175s are they can go past 750 yards. The 168s fall off there for me. The 168 seems to group a little better at 100.

The key to bullet selection for the SPS tactical is filling the bore. Ideally, a .308 caliber bullet fills it nicely. One can get .307&.306 bullets to migrate towards the muzzle. I have even seen bullets as small as .289 exit the muzzle at near dangerous velocity. The sniperish accuracy you seek hides between the grooves.

I benchmark all my rifles that have Federal Gold Medal Match made for them with Fed GMM. In .308 Win, I try both 168gr and 175gr. Black Hills Match is another excellent choice.

This benchmark gives me a standard to try to improve upon with my hand loads, and if I can't, that recipe for that rifle gets discarded.

Good luck,

FH

My Remington loves anything with a 168 grain SBTHP. It shoots Ultramax reloads as well as FGMM. My rifle doesn't shoot as well inside 600 yards with 175 grain but I don't know past that. I have only shot at steel past that and never measured groups at that distance.

I tried just about everything i could find for my old sps tac and the hornady 168's were the best shooting for my setup.

I was always very happy with FGMM. I just recently bought some Hornady Steel Match 155. Unbelievable how accurate they are, 1/2 moa at 200 yds when I do my part. These probably aren't the best choice for extended ranges, but 500 yds and in, plenty good enough for me.