• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .308 MSR around $2000

I am buying my first semi auto centerfire rifle. I have decided on the .308 because that is what my bolt gun is. Also I like the ammo cost. I have no intention of reloading. No hunting, only target shooting and probably not over 200 yrds. I have absolutely no need for another gun but realize these types of firearms may not always be available. I like the specs on the Savage MSR 10 Precision as well as the CMMG Endeavor 300. I think a budget around 2k should find a good reliable rifle. Help me out here.

I'd vote for an LMT MWS defender from V1 tactical myself. Comes in right around $2K. Have to add it to cart to see the price.

Reactions: wildcats
I am buying my first semi auto centerfire rifle. I have decided on the .308 because that is what my bolt gun is. Also I like the ammo cost. I have no intention of reloading. No hunting, only target shooting and probably not over 200 yrds. I have absolutely no need for another gun but realize these types of firearms may not always be available. I like the specs on the Savage MSR 10 Precision as well as the CMMG Endeavor 300. I think a budget around 2k should find a good reliable rifle. Help me out here.

LMT MWS.

Of all the 308 AR's I have I only have one that was factory built. A little more than $2000 but the thing is crazy good in more ways than one. It is the REC 10 from Barrett. Only reason I bought it was because everything else is Armalite B and no A parts were available. I just wanted to be able to use SR25 magazines if needed so that is the one I ended up with after research and running others was done. Good luck on your coarse of action.

put 2500-3k. Unlike ar15s that little extra really goes far for big bores

I put about that into a mws in 6.5, lmt Ebcg, mars lower, mlok upper.

Or jp. Can find them on GB for around 3k sometimes.

2k maybe seekins?

Last edited:
I just put together a build list for a large frame AR... You may want to up your upper limit on cost a bit for a factory built rifle. I hedged toward in-stock over my primary choice in a few places, though the trigger was OOS where I was looking, as is the hand guard and firing pin. Anyway, a build list for what I would consider a perfectly serviceable 308 AR is over your budget. There is some money to be saved in the trigger, the stock, and the barrel, and you could cut probably $500-600 out of the build cost if you skimped there. But you'll pay a premium for a "factory rifle." I did not look all over the internet for the cheapest prices, and everything but the barrel is from one on line retailer. If I really wanted a factory rifle, I would go to JP and use their rifle builder, then write a check for whatever it said it cost- and sleep easy at night...

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 9.57.28 AM.png

I ordered a lmt mws mlok battle rifle for a little over $2200 a few months ago. Of course, v1tactical said it will be october before it comes in, and that was before the big pandemic nonsense and the run on guns from all the rioting and looting.

I also picked up a colt cm762 for well under that last year, but they seem to be sold out everywhere and not sure if colt will bring them back.

Those two would be my picks. The colt is a bit of a wild card, but it is the same thing as the colt 901 just with a mlok rail instead of a monolithic.

Haven't seen much about Savage other than early teething problems...love anything that doesn't have an AR charging handle, so the precision model with side charging handle sure is tempting.

Other's I would consider:
Pof Rogue - new and not much info out
S&W MP10 - tried and true
Sig 716 TREAD - new and not much info out

DIY - I'd build a lightweight one, with lightweight BCG

i know nothing in detail about this. i did think the same question for myself. did some looking,searching,data grabing. no doubt at $2K,it would be the POF rogue after reconfirming my inital data. don't have $2K for such,so a moot point.

Build what you want on aero M5.
Not a fan of factory AR10s.
FNAR is a 2 moa beast if you can stomach its looks.

Sig 716 G2 DMR is one I'd consider, apparently military adopted it for SDM use for some units.

Galil Ace comes in 7.62 and I've heard a lot of good things about it, including accuracy. Less than $2k.

The Tavor 7 comes in 7.62 and is less than $2k if you qualify for vet/mil discount at Proven Outfitters. I think it's a 2MOA rifle?

And of course you can always build an AR yourself.

If you save up another $1k or so, then FN Mk20 is a damn hard one to beat, IMO a must buy for anyone into this shit. Also the B&T APC308, I'd like one in 14" but wanna learn more about 'em first.

You aren’t getting a reliable rifle with a high degree of confidence for under $2k. That’s just the breaks. You also are playing the lottery with a big frame build as most parts are shit , just take a look at all the threads on the web with people who can’t get their shit to run right.

KAC, LMT, Seekins, HK, JP, Larue etc factory Guns is where you want to invest.

match 6.5c, is cheaper and more plentiful than 308 while being ballisticslly superior so why start out with a handicapped cartridge if you decide to do more in the future.

if you are really worried about something not being available in the future, buy quality that will last. You don’t want to be the guy stuck with a Hesse or Olympic arms during the AW ban when could have had colt for a few sheckles more.

skip the sig trash there is a reason they are cheap and everywhere, and who knows what gen they are on. They can’t even get a gun correct the first time and spend years using customers as beta testers before abandoning and not supporting those products. That’s their MO, instead of doing R&D in-house they rush junk to market and use your money to test it.

If you want a proven .308 for under 2k, and don’t care about long range, just buy a DSA FAL.

As a former DSA FAL owner, I got out of them a few years ago when their quality went downhill. DSA made their reputation on LMT built receivers with steyr stg58 rifle parts. They eventually ran out of the stg58 parts, and to save money started making receivers in house instead of paying lmt.

People like gunplumber on the falfiles documented the drop in quality as a result of the above. I would not consider buying a new dsa fal as anything other than a hobby type range fun gun. They are no longer duty grade. Totally agree on not trusting anything made by sig. They cut way too many corners and let the public be beta testers.

What are the chances of finding really any new gun right now not overpriced?

Just been looking at same price range as OP has stated but it all looks marked up to me.

What are the chances of finding really any new gun right now not overpriced?

Just been looking at same price range as OP has stated but it all looks marked up to me.
Good point. Probably nothing is going to be at a normal price due to the massive increase in demand. Sadly, it will only get worse if biden wins.

For under 2k larue ultimate upper is probably your best bet. I have heard of a few issues getting them running, but good feedback overall.

I think ArmaLite gets overlooked, and from what I understand it's SuperSASS actually beat the LMT and HK in the British trials. If i hadn't been set on an LMT for the barrel swap I may have ended up with one of their models.

I have a Savage msr10 lr in 6.5 CM that I got for well under $2k. I haven't had any problems whatsoever and it is accurate and consistent. I shoot factory 140 eld's and hit out to 1350 consistently. A lot of other shooters here have had good luck as well. If you have a problem just send it back. The design is well thought out and ergonomic. I've had other high end platforms that really don't perform any better. The only problems I've heard of are mostly quality control. I think of it as the ruger rpr of the semi world, just much more refined. Seekins is another top pick in that price range.

Reactions: LinemanBob
I have a Savage msr10 lr in 6.5 CM that I got for well under $2k. I haven't had any problems whatsoever and it is accurate and consistent. I shoot factory 140 eld's and hit out to 1350 consistently. A lot of other shooters here have had good luck as well. If you have a problem just send it back. The design is well thought out and ergonomic. I've had other high end platforms that really don't perform any better. The only problems I've heard of are mostly quality control. I think of it as the ruger rpr of the semi world, just much more refined. Seekins is another top pick in that price range.

That is what I intend to buy. MSR 10 Precision. Decided on .308.
Thanks to all that replied.

My brother has a few CMMG's, swears by them and is quite happy with his purchases. I'd look at the POF Revolution DI and the Rogue. The Rogue is under $2K and sub 6-pounds if weight matters. Takes to heavier bullet weights too with a 1:8 twist barrel. The Revolution DI can be had new for right around $2200 if you look, has a 16" heavy fluted, 5R nitrided barrel with a 1:10 twist so it'll do the lighter weight bullets a bit better and may be better for target shooting for your intended range. Has an adjustable gas block too so a bit more flexible with different bullet weights.

I’ve got an M&P-10 that’s seen some hard use. Lightweight eats cheap ammo like a champ. I’ve got the original model with the 18” barrel. Current MSRP is $1600. The sport model with the 16” barrel has an MSRP of $1049. You should pay less than that though.

I really like my Rock River LAR8 for a factory rifle

Well as you all know, AR's have been scarce for some time. I did have a chance to buy the Savage MSR 10 Precision this morning way early. I had a choice of the .308 or 6.5 creedmore. I stuck to my plan and ordered the .308. The prices have gone up and with taxes and shipping it just topped $2500.00. Should arrive at my FFL in a week or so. Now I need to find a place to shoot it.