• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best 308 semi in the 1100.00 range

fastford

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2008
    Central, Texas
    my neighbor wants a 308 semi, and i am not sure whats the best option in this price range. Suggestions?

Re: best 308 semi in the 1100.00 range

Honestly, it would be hard to even build a less expensive plinker for that. If that's the budget, I would suggest he start looking at used or save up some more money.

If your buddy built one out of some budget parts, he could probably come close but .308 parts are more expensive than 5.56 parts.

I picked up a DPMS LR 308 (forgive me I cant remember the model exactly)...

No ejection port or fwd assist upper
    18" FF bull bbl
    A2 stock
    Picatinny gas block

very plain jane rifle.

What ever model that is for 999.00 last year at a local shop. It was a project gun for me, and its started to change a little since then but, the point is, one can be had but options are few.

this one:
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=16

C_K

DPMS 308 - floating handguard

or if it's going in the closet and not shot much, a Cetme & 3 battle packs of ammo

Yeah, even going up to the $1300-1400 range opens up the options quite a bit. Springfield M1A standards, FN FNAR, Remington R-25, Nice FALs.

IMO, I'd hold out for a better rifle.

Get a savage 308 and offer to cycle the bolt while he shoots. Save a ton.
    grin.gif

Bushmaster ORC .308
    It's not the nicest but it is fun to shoot and easy to mod. I am pretty sure it takes PMAGs which is a huge plus in my book.

how accurate are the r-25's and the dpms stuff?

Im a gap10 guy so i just dont know!!

I've heard nothing but decent things from the new CMMG.308 offerings.. Otherwise look at the DPMS products, accepts pmags, and decent accuracy at a cheap price point.

You know I was actually thinking of putting together one myself. I would like to get one of the lowers that used the HK G3/91 mags. Only because I have a couple hundred of them so it would make sense. Maybe not.

FNAR all the way. Bought one myself, sighted one in for someone else. Almost no recoil, about like an AK. 1/2" groups at 100 yrds, awesome trigger.

Slightly trickier to take apart for cleaning, but with a short piston, it runs real clean. Some people only strip clean at 1000 rds., unless shooting ruskie ammo. Mags are more expensive, but built like a tank.

I've got/shot the 20" heavy BBL, but some say the 16" light bbl is just as accurate and lighter, but not hunting rifle bbl light. Guaranteed to shoot sub-moa.

I just completed a build
    DPMS LR-308 lower $230 CTD
    Parts kit $60 through company i work at, maybe a hair more retails
    AP4 stock $60 same as parts kite
    CMMG 18" SST upper, $799 from cmmg site, $727 from CTD
    Couple magpuls $20 each

Also look for less lower kits. save a ton by only paying excise on the stripped lower rather than whole rifle.

I would go CMMG. I looked at alot of .308 AR's at the Shot Show, and I would was really impressed with them for the money.

The top one in the below pic CDNN is selling for $1199.

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

CDNNGUNS is running a special for the FNAR at $998.00 it's a semi-auto .308 with a heavy barrel, the same barrel they use for their military contacted M240. I've had mine for over 3 years now with over 2K+ rounds throuh it with not one jam or not one single issue! I am a competive shooter and had a problem with one of my bolt guns, so I used my FNAR with a 6X20X56 Springfeild scope in our 565 yard clay bird match, (and took secound place with factory Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain)which are glued on to 6"x6" cardboard then stapled to two 2x4's running horizontal. We have about 25+ shooters and a lot of fun, you shoot till you miss, then the next shooter goes until we run usually a round of 5 times. I have been very happy with this and all my FN products! At this price point it's hard to beat, I hope this helped you as this is my first post, take care!

I had a DPMS LR308 for about a year. Accurate and reliable. Had a 24" barrel and a free float hand guard. I ended up selling it to get funds for a 338 can. Those should be in his price range.

Later on he can put in a better trigger and have a brake installed if desired.

Clean out your PM box fastford, your full...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ella Brown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you could enhance your price range then you can get finest range of products on market.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

Blaser's are only $5,000-$10,000......

Yeah, spending a little more would be better. However, DPMS is going to be just about the only thing that price range can afford. I am not going to shoot down this gun... I have heard really good things about the LR308 series. Check them out, but be sure to put an SWFA SS 3-9 on it
    smile.gif

Fastford,

DPMS LR308 are in that range. Also, there was a R-25 for sale on the hide for 1100. You could probably PM the guy and get some first hand info on the 25

WTS Remington R25 .308, 20" barrel. one 5 round mag and one set of 1" rings (they came with the rifle). Less than 200 rounds fired. In excellent shape

$1100.00 plus shipping. USPS Money order

Sorry for cutting off the info. I don't know how to link the post. The R25 sale was by Hide member: T2CH

Blessings,
    BC

I truly am stepping out on a limb here, but have you seriously considered a Super-Vepr .308? It's $1300 but I think EVERYONE would be surprised as to what it's capable of.

DPMS Oracle. I had one and it was great. Takes P mags, forward assist, brass deflector, flattop. They go for less than $1,000. My friend has an MP4 in 308 and I think he paid $1,100 for it. Worth the extra $100 for a free float handguard and sights. You get the idea, they can be had for that price.

been nothing but pleased so far with my DPMS. Only 2 range trips but this gun almost made things boring as it was just so dead on. Working up a load for it now that I've got some rounds through it and looking forward to the results. Got it from nelson tactical and went with the upgraded trigger and A3 upper. had a vented handguard as well and all in all was right about $1200. Put my Leupold VX3l on it for now and of course one of my harris bipods. Picked up 4 magpul mags right away as i didnt dig the metal ones. Have had zero malfunctions thus far. I broke it down and miltec'd it before firing it.

IMG_20120119_171858.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think if I could get that cmmg for 1199, it would get my money over the others. </div></div>

THIS. Nothing comes close to the CMMG deal right now. SS 1/10 barrel, Billet upper and lower, FF rail (not the greatest but good enough untill you get a DD/URX), Milspec RE , and a good 2 stage trigger and comes with a PMAG..

I just bought the black one above from CDNN. It should be here any day now. If you want one, hurry. They are already sold out of all the SASS 18" ones and only have the Black and OD left in the 16" I hate the unfinished barrel and will be kryloning it black when it comes in.

I ordered a Tac30/ADM combo, Spikes .308 Dynacomp and a B5 SOMPOD to throw on there. One of a setup for $1800 (optics/mount/comp/stock/pmags)

11.jpg

DPMS LR 260 1100 dollars

Will Shoot this
    IMG_0183-1.jpg

I have had great luck with all DPMS i have had as well as my buddies. I would never spend the big bucks on other "Custom" AR's. Nothing against it i just think at some point price increase and quality stop going up evenly and the extra cost sometimes goes into names on the receiver. My Opinion Nothing More.

I have owned, many DSA FALS, FNAR, 6 DPMS 308's, 6 M1A's, 1 SCAR 17, POF 308

I Only kept the SCAR17 and 1 DPMS 24 inch 308, the rest I sold.
    for many reasons but bottom line is the scar is the best I have used and DPMS 308 is great for the price, when SCAR 20 inch barrels come out I will likely sell the DPMS and on,y keep the SCAR

IMG_0073.jpg

P1320590.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned, many DSA FALS, FNAR, 6 DPMS 308's, 6 M1A's, 1 SCAR 17, POF 308

for many reasons but bottom line is the scar is the best I have used and DPMS 308 is great for the price, when SCAR 20 inch barrels come out I will likely sell the DPMS and on,y keep the SCAR

IMG_0073.jpg

</div></div>

What kind of buttstock options do you have with the SCAR? And is that a recoil-reducing stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

DPMS LR 260 1100 dollars

<span style="font-weight: bold">FN FNAR .308/7.62NATO $900-$1200 depending on finding that price new.</span>

I have had great luck with all DPMS i have had as well as my buddies. I would never spend the big bucks on other "Custom" AR's. Nothing against it i just think at some point price increase and quality stop going up evenly and the extra cost sometimes goes into names on the receiver. My Opinion Nothing More. </div></div>

Not knocking DPMS, just to let everyone know. For punching paper or varmits, DPMS would be just fine. But for something I would take into battle, I would take something by FN 7 days a week over DPMS....if that's something that concerns your purchase. Even though the FNAR specifically is not carried into battle(used by SWAT) by anyone to my knowledge, many of their weapons are.

Again, I'm not knocking DPMS or anyone else, but for my personal preference, I'd buy something I'd be willing to take into battle if need be.

Recoil reducing stock?
    the SCAR has hardly no recoil

magpul makes a AR butt stock adapter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned, many DSA FALS, FNAR, 6 DPMS 308's, 6 M1A's, 1 SCAR 17, POF 308

IMG_0073.jpg

</div></div>

What kind of buttstock options do you have with the SCAR? And is that a recoil-reducing stock? </div></div>

I'm in the process of building this from the CMMG 16" I picked up for $1100. In the last month they went up $100. I sold the 1in10 barrel and the handguard and replaced them with a Rainier Arms Select 1in11 SS barrel and a Troy 13.8 extreme. The crown on the rainier arms barrel looked to be okay, but I sent it to my gunsmith to check and put a perfect crown before I install it. He still has it.

2894a687.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how accurate are the r-25's and the dpms stuff?

Im a gap10 guy so i just dont know!! </div></div>

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: liezone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the process of building this from the CMMG 16" I picked up for $1100. In the last month they went up $100. I sold the 1in10 barrel and the handguard and replaced them with a Rainier Arms Select 1in11 SS barrel and a Troy 13.8 extreme. The crown on the rainier arms barrel looked to be okay, but I sent it to my gunsmith to check and put a perfect crown before I install it. He still has it.

2894a687.jpg
    </div></div>

I dont know why you replaced the barrel. People are getting .5-.7 MOA out of the stock SS CMMG Barrel with FGMMG168. They plain shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recoil reducing stock?</div></div>

Yeah, from the picture it looked like the stock area overlaps the buttpad area, like for a recoil-reducing spring set or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    the SCAR has hardly no recoil

magpul makes a AR butt stock adapter
    </div></div>

Awesome.

Had a dpms lr 308classic fun accurate gun