• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .308 stripped upper?

patriot_man

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have been shooting AR15s my whole life and I feel I need something else and something that can reach out farther. I am looking into a DPMS .308/ SR25 type rifle. I actually have no clue on what manufacturers make .308 uppers except for DPMS and KAC and Larue. What would be a good .308 upper? Does Larue also sell stripped uppers?

Re: Best .308 stripped upper?

fulton armory would be worth a look. their slick side can be set up for a charging handle if i read correctly. also an A3 with forward assist is available

Check out Fulton Armory's webpage, they are having a pretty good sale right now. 10 percent off adds up real quick in .308 AR terms.

Iron Ridge Arms makes a nice looking billet upper receiver. I don't have any experience with them, but I would like to.

They also do hand-matched sets. Link

First you need to decide which lower receiver/mag pattern you want to run as the different patterns are not compatible (i.e. - You can't run an Armalite upper on a DPMS lower and vice versa).

You can go with the KAC (SR-25) and DPMS (LR-308) pattern lowers which use KAC/DPMS/C-Products/Magpul LR-20 mags. For KAC/DPMS lowers, you can run the following uppers:

KAC
DPMS
Fulton Armory
IRA
GAP (and other custom shops like APA, etc. also make custom uppers)

You can also go with Armalite (AR-10)/Noveske (N6) lowers which use Armalite mags. For Armalite/Noveske lowers, you can run the following uppers:

Armalite
Noveske
IRA
Accuracy Systems

As for Larue...they do NOT sell stripped uppers to the best of my knowledge. Also, if you run a Larue 308 upper, you'll need a Larue lower as the Larue uppers don't fit 100% with other mfgs' lowers.

I am sure there are some I am missing, but that will get you in the ballpark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can go with the KAC (SR-25) and DPMS (LR-308) pattern lowers which use KAC/DPMS/C-Products/Magpul LR-20 mags. For KAC/DPMS lowers, you can run the following uppers:

KAC
DPMS
Fulton Armory
IRA

As for Larue...they do NOT sell stripped uppers to the best of my knowledge. Also, if you run a Larue 308 upper, you'll need a Larue lower as the Larue uppers don't fit 100% with other mfgs' lowers.

</div></div>

Not exactly correct on the KAC lower. The KAC uses the KAC/DPMS magazines but their uppers are not compatible with DPMS/Fulton/IRA uppers. Laure and LMT are the same as KAC's.

The DPMS style is rounder where the KAC/LMT/Larue is more angled like the AR10 - but they use the same magazines.

IRA DPMS lower

Larue OBR

KAC SR25 EM

Koz is right on about the KAC fitment issue...my mistake.

As for the DPMS issues that cj is mentioning...DPMS recently swicthed to a different receiver rail height that is higher than all of the aftermarket railed handguards currently available. DPMS swears that the aftermarket mfgs are going to change their handguards to follow DPMS's changes, but at least Daniel Defense and others have said "NOPE." Thus, the only handguards that will have rails equal in height to the newer DPMS receivers will be those available from DPMS.

Anyone interested in a complete Noveske AR-10 N6 18" Heavy 7.62mm.--18" Heavy 7.62mm stainless barrel
--1 in 10" twist polygonal rifling
--7.62 Noveske Match Mod 1 chamber
--Extended feed ramps
--Bead blasted finish
--Carbine 7.62 length gas system
--5/8x24 threads
--Low-profile gas block pinned to barrel, .875"
--Forged Flat-top upper receiver
--14" free floated handguard w/ 1913 rails
--Bolt and carrier with properly staked key
--Forged charging handle
--Vortex flash suppressor

Rifle includes above plus:
--Forged Lower with:
--Mil-Spec receiver extension
--Noveske QD End Plate, staked
--H3 Buffer
--Vltor iMod Carbine stock
--Tango Down pistol grip
--Flip-up front and rear sights
--One 20 rd mag
$3125.00 plus shipping $25.00
Will only ship to a FFL dealer upon confirmation.
No trades or layaway. If you are interested PM me.Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iron Ridge Arms makes a nice looking billet upper receiver. I don't have any experience with them, but I would like to. </div></div>

They are another one to look at and also they are members of the HIDE.

If Knights/Larue/LMT uppers are not compatible with DPMS lowers, but the magazines are the same, what about the other various internal receiver parts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Koz is right on about the KAC fitment issue...my mistake.

As for the DPMS issues that cj is mentioning...DPMS recently swicthed to a different receiver rail height that is higher than all of the aftermarket railed handguards currently available. DPMS swears that the aftermarket mfgs are going to change their handguards to follow DPMS's changes, but at least Daniel Defense and others have said "NOPE." Thus, the only handguards that will have rails equal in height to the newer DPMS receivers will be those available from DPMS. </div></div>

i bought a badger hand guard that came off an armalight. i had to get a new barrel block as the threads on the upper are different for my DPMS. i asked them if they had any plans to add a third version for the new DPMS change. no. i can see from a customer service standpoint it would be a nightmare, like savages hole spacing on the fp/fcp change is for stock shopping. but i would think that eventually they will make the change and only offer it in the new height. they just have to change the height of the extrusion of the rail on the tube. that cant be real cheap.

also i did get lucky and find an older dpms upper receiver from before the change for my build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cj1026</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever you do don't buy a DPMS A3 stripped upper unless you want to only use their handguards. Fuckin jackasses. </div></div>

A BIG +1.

I found this out the hard way. When I got got my new upper back from the smith, the rail did not match-up to the upper receiver. WTF?

While it's a minor annoyance with no effect on functionality it's a MAJOR piece of hamhanded asshattery on the part of DPMS. I went the DPMS route for aftermarket support but after these shenanigans I will never buy another DPMS branded product.

+1 on that stuff - ruining the whole game doing that kinda shite.

just make an accurate ar (10 or 15 or whatever)....thats what everyone wants.

I haven't had any experience with many uppser, My 10 is an Armalite on an IRA lower. The lower is a beauitful piece, fit and finish are flawless, Zero movement between the upper and lower. I have to use a delrin punch to pop the rear take down pin, Just my 2 cents worth
Jim

I haven't had any experience with many uppers, My 10 is an Armalite on an IRA lower. The lower is a beauitful piece, fit and finish are flawless, Zero movement between the upper and lower. I have to use a delrin punch to pop the rear take down pin, Just my 2 cents worth
Jim

Axeman, if you are happy with the performance of your dpms let it be, if not Iron Ridge uses a delrin tipped set screw to allow the end user to tighten the fit between the upper and lower. The set screw is accessible by removing the pistol grip. If it were me i'd get ahold of either an iron ridge lower, or at least one of the set screws and have your lower tapped for it. I switched from a loose fit to a tight fitting IRA lower and noticed a marked increase in accuracy and consistency. seem to me that the set screw installation should be an upgrade our gun plumber friends ought to consider offering.

ive seen that feature, its pretty nice. also i have seen an O ring looped over the lug on the upper that the take-down pins from the lower slide thru. i can see light, but didnt notice the wiggle much. after the barrel and BCG come, ill see whats what. but i agree, if someone could get the screws and offer the tapping, it would be a sweet mod

i called gap, they will put it together and test it all for me for a good price. so instead of buying the vise block to hold the upper while torquing the barrel, i will just send it all to GAP and let the pros do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fulton armory would be worth a look</div></div>
+1 I just got my Fulton A3 stripped upper and barrel in the mail, and I am VERY impressed. I will only buy Fulton Arms parts for my "LR308" builds from now on. Awesome stuff, and a good fit with my DPMS lower.