• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 308 under $1200

AquaMan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2006
NC
I'm looking at getting a bolt gun in 308. What rifle mfg and rifle would you reccommend for an all purpose 1000 yard rifle, and why you reccommend it.I'm just interested in 308 because we already have a 7.62 gas gun. Thanks

Re: Best 308 under $1200

Savage 10 Fxx of some flavor or Remington 5R. There's ups and downs to both but either are relatively easy to locate and you'll be able to stay within the budget.

Its unlikely that you will find a production rifle that will shoot 1000yd accurately for under 1200. You could find a Rem 700 for anywhere in the $500-1000 range depending on model (ADL, BDL, or CDL) They work well for hunting as I have a CDL in 30-06, but won't provide you with any kind of tactical accuracy for the 500+yd range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColinH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its unlikely that you will find a production rifle that will shoot 1000yd accurately for under 1200. You could find a Rem 700 for anywhere in the $500-1000 range depending on model (ADL, BDL, or CDL) They work well for hunting as I have a CDL in 30-06, but won't provide you with any kind of tactical accuracy for the 500+yd range. </div></div>

I reject your reality and substitute my own......

Remington 700 5R .308 175 grain to 1k......

Savage 10 FCP McMillan. I'm not a savage owner but for the money, this is an unbeatable option. McMillan stock, 24" 10 twist 308. and Its a savage, its going to shoot. Last but absolutely a very valuable feature is that you can spin a new barrel of any caliber on in your garage for around three bills. If I had it to do over again, this is the route I would go.

MSRP is alittle above what you listed but I'm more than certain that it can be had for 1200 if you shop around.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCP-McMILLAN

Team Savage has been using the factory 12 FTR in 308 for 1000yd competition winning and breaking records. The FTR msrp is $1302, so I'm sure it can be bought for under 1200. It doesnt have the tactical look if thats what youre looking for, but it is very, very accurate from the factory.

http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=2K5nTzegQ

I have owned everything except savage but I believe the savage is the best entry level rifle to get into the game and can easily do well out of the box at a 1000. I have seen guys buy factory savage rifles under 1k, and be in the top 4-5 in f-class shoots. It has a lot of pros one of them being you can do your own barrel swaps(need a few tools but hey its not that hard), you can tune the trigger down yourself, down to 1.5 lbs on most savages,. If you get the Savage 5r in HS, it already has the barrel threaded and if you shop around you can pick one up for $800-900. Or join the Guard get on the rifle team most rifle teams are hurting for people and then you get a m24, you get paid to shoot (rmas) and you get free ammo. That is the cheapest route...

SAVAGE 10 IN HS STOCK FROM FACTORY MAX $950.00 can be had for less if you shop around.

BOTTOM METAL AND MAGS FROM http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/ 209. MAG 89 FOR 5 RND AND 99 FOR TEN ROUNDS

ONE PIECE TATICAL SCOPE BASE 20 MOA http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_128&products_id=380 39.99

Super sniper but most model are fixed 10 power still awesome scope 299 for rear par. and 399. For side par. All these scope can be had from this site http://swfa.com/Riflescopes-C1443.aspx

Harris swivel bipod with notch legs 6-9 inch http://usarmorment.com/harris-lightweigh...ml?currency=USD 89

get match barrel if you ever shoot out the factory change it yourself

Forgive the format made list for someone the other day in word.

mods i included link because they were helpful and already on my document please remove if they are not allowed, Not sure who is and is not.

Savage F/TR!!! 1000 yards is too easy.

I just wish it had a 10 twist instead of 12.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also forgot the HS has alum pillers MC stock does not. </div></div>

I would NOT let that be a deciding factor. While HS stock are good, the McMillan and Manners type stocks are a world above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColinH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its unlikely that you will find a production rifle that will shoot 1000yd accurately for under 1200. You could find a Rem 700 for anywhere in the $500-1000 range depending on model (ADL, BDL, or CDL) They work well for hunting as I have a CDL in 30-06, but won't provide you with any kind of tactical accuracy for the 500+yd range. </div></div>

I beg to differ as well. I have personally shot and seen many shooters in my club shoot stock Remington PSS and 5R accurately (MOA or better)out to 1000 yards. I also shot a Savage 10 FCP and 10 FP out to 1K with accuracy. All you need is practice and good ammo and all those rifles are plenty capable.

Since Im partial to the FN action, my vote is a PBR barreled action along with whatever stock you like. I just put one together for a little over $1100. The only "problem" is the barrel is 1:12.

Savage 10fcp-k hands down, and it is well under $1200

Another Savage F/TR owner here.
This is out of the box ready.
I topped mine with the EGW 20 MOA base as mentioned above by GGN and some good 5.5 x 22 - 50mm glass.

I took my 15 year old son to the range to try it out. He'd never shot a bolt action rifle before. On our way there He had to listen to my sermon on marksmanship. The do's and don't's of cheek weld, trigger control, and eye relief, etc., etc., bla bla bla. I could tell it was going in one ear and out the other; a chip off the ol' block, I'd say.

Long story short(er).
I warmed up the rifle and showed him what was what. His first five shot group was 3/4" at the 100 yard target. FIRST GROUP! He stood up as I was telling him what a great job he did and asked how he liked it.
He said, flatly, that it was OK. I told him that not just anybody could do that, still trying to lionize the achievement. He explained that it wasn't all that tough; if he could do it first time out then how hard could it really be?

Well...

I took that as a rhetorical question in defense of my ego and didn't answer directly.
Just so's you know, I can still out shoot him at the 300 yard line - for the time being!

All in all, I'm very happy with the Savage F/TR.
Pro: It's easy.
Con: Its big.

Good luck in your search AquaMan.

B

I purchased my used Remington 700 police in 308 topped with Leupold Mrk4 M3 scope, harris bipod for $1,000 cash. Its a 1MOA gun at 1,000 and is damn near it at 1,200. It shoots 1.5" at 500, so don't listen to all the old news about what a 308 can do. I think you should shop around and find a used gun. Most people don't shoot very much, so you can find one with low miles. Do your learning on a good quality used stick, and you can always upgrade later. Piecing together a new gun is the most expensive way to go.

Good luck

Get on over to "for SALE" section
alot of good deals, why buy new when you can buy more gun for money lightly used

Remington 5R, or savages, as long as its not their "tuperware" stock. Will get you to 1k with match ammo.

Um, really? My stock 700 5R, is sub moa at 700, with no problem (farthest I have takin it yet) and I have no doubt it will drive to 1k. My savage 300wsm, with the cheapo stock was sub moa to 800. Maybe your rifles problem is the indian, not the arrow.

I am leaning towards a Savage.I like the fact that I can change out the barrel myself.I really like the model 10 with the Mcmillian stock,detachable magazine and the 1/10 twist. I also have for awhile now been looking at the 12 F/TR. With its 1/12 twist I should have no problem using 155gr SMK's, which is the same bullet I use in my gas guns.Do you think getting the Model 10 in McMillian stock now and then buy the 30" barrel with its 1/12 twist later would be the way to go.It seems to be the best of both worlds.

Thanks,

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AquaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am leaning towards a Savage.I like the fact that I can change out the barrel myself.I really like the model 10 with the Mcmillian stock,detachable magazine and the 1/10 twist. I also have for awhile now been looking at the 12 F/TR. With its 1/12 twist I should have no problem using 155gr SMK's, which is the same bullet I use in my gas guns.Do you think getting the Model 10 in McMillian stock now and then buy the 30" barrel with its 1/12 twist later would be the way to go.It seems to be the best of both worlds.

Thanks,

Mike </div></div>

IF you can, stay away from the 12 twist. There's really nothing wrong with it but the 10 twist will do everything the 12 twist will plus more. Also, you'll find that your going to really have to shove the 155 gr SMK (2155) to keep it supersonic to 1K, but a 30" barrel will be more than adequate. If you use 175's in say the 24", 1K will not be a problem at all. Either way, you won't go wrong with either option.

Good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased my used Remington 700 police in 308 topped with Leupold Mrk4 M3 scope, harris bipod for $1,000 cash. Its a 1MOA gun at 1,000 and is damn near it at 1,200. It shoots 1.5" at 500, so don't listen to all the old news about what a 308 can do. I think you should shop around and find a used gun. Most people don't shoot very much, so you can find one with low miles. Do your learning on a good quality used stick, and you can always upgrade later. Piecing together a new gun is the most expensive way to go.

Good luck </div></div>

I have basically the same set up, except my Mk 4 is 8-25x and I only bought it because it was a good deal.(10x would have been my preference) The 700P shoots great out of the box with factory ammo. One of the biggest reasons I bought it.You will always be able to find a ton of data, information and guidance for the .308 on this site. Good luck and enjoy.

If it were me I would look closely at the FN PBR XP or SPR. For a tactical rifle they offer a lot of really attractive features.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage 10 FCP McMillan</div></div>\

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">+1</span></span> for the money can't be beat unless you get really really lucky

I have owned Remington, Winchester, FN, Howa, Marlin, and now Savage and their Stevens line. Out of the box, without a doubt, the Savage 10FPLE .308 has outshot anything else that I have ever owned, or shot what someone else owned. PERIOD!!

I have a buddy that has a custom Remington, and a very tricked out Sako that he just "loved", that is until he shot my Savage. He had to have it, and I needed the funds, so it is his now.

I had $1250 in my FN-SPR-A1 rifle alone, and had less than that in my Savage completely dressed to impress and did just that... IMPRESS!!

It is your funds, so spend it how you like. If it is MY funds, it will only be spent on Savage from now on!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rooterbegger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage 10 FCP McMillan</div></div>\

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">+1</span></span> for the money can't be beat unless you get really really lucky </div></div>

+1. Thinking of buying one right now.

On the other hand my first rifle was/is a Rem 700 SPS-V. For only about $600 to your door, that leaves you another $600 for a stock and possibly a trigger. I'm not a great shooter yet but with assistance (spotting and calculating) from a friend of mine that is, I've hit steel at 1K. Now if your asking for the best out of the box with no adjustments then the above Savage is really good. I've heard the 5R and 700P are really good too, but haven't shot them yet.

I really like both the savage and the remington. Both made it to 1000 yrds just fine .

I've got one of the milspec 5Rs. I'm getting .25moa out of it with Fed GMM 168s

make sure to check out the Savage 10FCP 5R, has the 5R rifling and hs precision stock. Have seen them around 850-900

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me I would look closely at the FN PBR XP or SPR. For a tactical rifle they offer a lot of really attractive features. </div></div>

Weren't the PBR's replaced with the TSR XP?

I've had great results out of my Remington SPS-T shooting hornady 178s. I haven't shot it out to 1k yet but at 900yds it did a 7 shot 8 inch group and shoots sub 1/4moa at 300yds. I'm pleased considering I've got a total of $900 in the rifle, base, rings, and scope. Would love to try a Savage 10FPLE though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColinH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its unlikely that you will find a production rifle that will shoot 1000yd accurately for under 1200. You could find a Rem 700 for anywhere in the $500-1000 range depending on model (ADL, BDL, or CDL) They work well for hunting as I have a CDL in 30-06, but won't provide you with any kind of tactical accuracy for the 500+yd range. </div></div>

Um, really? My stock 700 5R, is sub moa at 700, with no problem (farthest I have takin it yet) and I have no doubt it will drive to 1k. My savage 300wsm, with the cheapo stock was sub moa to 800. Maybe your rifles problem is the indian, not the arrow. </div></div>

My apologies gents. It would seem that the prices of rifles are more in Canada than they are in the States. What would have been more accurate to say is that I have not personally seen a 5R that would fit into the 1200 or less category in my area. All the ones I have seen have been in the $1400 range. My apologies for the generalization and ignorance to price difference of different localities. As well, I am new to long range shooting, but not hunting. I try only to offer some advice and learn continuously from those with more experience by their responses and constructive criticism. However, I do have to agree that nothing beats time behind the trigger and slowly but surely, this starving university student is getting it. Cheers!

+ 1 for the savage 10fcp hs. I love mine and it can be had for under 900.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx I prefer Remington for 3 main reasons. First the service prefers them- enough said. Second, they have been around forever and you can customize the 700 action to no extent. Finally, it is way under price at 665$ for the model I linked (the varmit 26'' barrel) leaving you plenty of room to buy what ever stock and optics combo you want. Oh I know I said three major reasons but Remington 700's hold there value well if you take care of it. JMHO
P.S. List of 700's available- http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx
My preferred one but 200 over budget that you listed but I would look into it because it comes with a name brand stock and good trigger http://www.remington.com/products/firear...long-range.aspx

+ 3 on the Remington 5R.

I bought three for my sons and all of them shoot under 1/2 MOA with 168 / 175gr match ammo.

+ 3 on the Remington 5R.

I bought three for my sons and all of them shoot under 1/2 MOA with 168 / 175gr match ammo. All will reach out to 1K.

FN SPR action from CDNN, barrel and stock of your choosing.

It'll come out around 1,200-ish but it will be a damn hammer.

My Savage just has that phenom quality about it. And I built it myself. What's that tell you!

My FN SPR shoots good too, but it's supposed to. The Savage shoots better than it's supposed to. That is what makes it special IMO.

My Savage 10FCP McMillan is basically a custom gun but off the shelf pricing and no custom work done to it. My gun Priced from Bud's is $1080 shipped. It does not get any better than this.